anka

Hi-lite and translations--quick question(s)

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I'm sending off the I-129 petition for the K-1 app. I am aiming to have it in the mail by 5pm. Finally.

However I have 2 questions that have been nagging me lately that need answering. Here goes:

1. I've read that people have highlighted pertinent info in their evidence doc's (namely, emails. phone bills, etc)...But then I read something on the USCIS site saying not to use a highlighter... :blink: ...I am thinking I probably read something that concerned some other petition/application, so just to make sure: Should I use a highlighter to point out relative info iin my evidence to be submitted (i.e., dates, names...)? Or should I not highlight anything? Anyone know the answer or if there is some rule about this?

2. About translating: Are secondary evidence items--like copies of letters, cards and emails-- also considered as "documents" that must be translated? If so, do I seriously need to have a professional translator's certification for a couple of love-letters and emails? Or can I or a friend translate everything (following the format, of course!)????

one more small question...sorry (F)(F)(F)

3. All paperwork will be held together by ACCO fasteners() Now, am I supposed to put thr ACCO'd it all in a folder or some kind of covering? Or is it fine to just sticl them all in the envelope and ship, as-is??

Thanks so much for all and any help!

Anna

:star::star::star:

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Hi everyone!

I'm sending off the I-129 petition for the K-1 app. I am aiming to have it in the mail by 5pm. Finally.

However I have 2 questions that have been nagging me lately that need answering. Here goes:

1. I've read that people have highlighted pertinent info in their evidence doc's (namely, emails. phone bills, etc)...But then I read something on the USCIS site saying not to use a highlighter... :blink: ...I am thinking I probably read something that concerned some other petition/application, so just to make sure: Should I use a highlighter to point out relative info iin my evidence to be submitted (i.e., dates, names...)? Or should I not highlight anything? Anyone know the answer or if there is some rule about this?Highlighting is ok - don't do it on official forms though - and I wouldn't go crazy with it.

2. About translating: Are secondary evidence items--like copies of letters, cards and emails-- also considered as "documents" that must be translated? If so, do I seriously need to have a professional translator's certification for a couple of love-letters and emails? Or can I or a friend translate everything (following the format, of course!)????Letters, cards etc are not documents - Birth Certificates, Divorce/marriage cetificates etc are...

3. All paperwork will be held together by ACCO fasteners() Now, am I supposed to put thr ACCO'd it all in a folder or some kind of covering? Or is it fine to just sticl them all in the envelope and ship, as-is?? It's fine to put them all in an envelope as is...

Anna

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi everyone!

1. I've read that people have highlighted pertinent info in their evidence doc's (namely, emails. phone bills, etc)...But then I read something on the USCIS site saying not to use a highlighter... :blink: ...I am thinking I probably read something that concerned some other petition/application, so just to make sure: Should I use a highlighter to point out relative info iin my evidence to be submitted (i.e., dates, names...)? Or should I not highlight anything? Anyone know the answer or if there is some rule about this?

2. About translating: Are secondary evidence items--like copies of letters, cards and emails-- also considered as "documents" that must be translated? If so, do I seriously need to have a professional translator's certification for a couple of love-letters and emails? Or can I or a friend translate everything (following the format, of course!)????

3. All paperwork will be held together by ACCO fasteners() Now, am I supposed to put thr ACCO'd it all in a folder or some kind of covering? Or is it fine to just sticl them all in the envelope and ship, as-is??

Anna

I'd aim for mid-day tomorrow since today is a holiday. Good luck!

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi everyone!

1. I've read that people have highlighted pertinent info in their evidence doc's (namely, emails. phone bills, etc)...But then I read something on the USCIS site saying not to use a highlighter... :blink: ...I am thinking I probably read something that concerned some other petition/application, so just to make sure: Should I use a highlighter to point out relative info iin my evidence to be submitted (i.e., dates, names...)? Or should I not highlight anything? Anyone know the answer or if there is some rule about this?Highlighting is ok - don't do it on official forms though - and I wouldn't go crazy with it.

2. About translating: Are secondary evidence items--like copies of letters, cards and emails-- also considered as "documents" that must be translated? If so, do I seriously need to have a professional translator's certification for a couple of love-letters and emails? Or can I or a friend translate everything (following the format, of course!)????Letters, cards etc are not documents - Birth Certificates, Divorce/marriage cetificates etc are...

3. All paperwork will be held together by ACCO fasteners() Now, am I supposed to put thr ACCO'd it all in a folder or some kind of covering? Or is it fine to just sticl them all in the envelope and ship, as-is?? It's fine to put them all in an envelope as is...

Anna

The answer given to question two above is incorrect with respect to anything submitted to USCIS with the petition. The good news is that none of what you mention as "secondary evidence" really needed with the petition. Evidence of bona fide relationship can wait until the interview, where it need not be translated. You can concentrate on primary evidence of meeting within the past two years, like passport stamps and boarding passes that will be in English anyway. If you want to include secondary evidence like a few pictures, not need to translate photographs.

The principle is USCIS service centers in the US do not employ adjudicators with foreign language skills as a part of their job description but Consulates do. All official documents must be accompanied by certified English translations but all documents of any kind that you want USCIS to consider must have those translations, so avoid sending such documents if you can.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I was approved and did the following:

I highlighted names and dates on copies. (Did not send in any original docs) I also made notes in red pen in the margins of what I was trying to show if needed. "These receipts show X & Y were in Best Buy in Houston TX on the same date." The copier page had two receipts that happened to show our names from the credit cards. I highlighted names, dates, and location to show evidence of being together. I did not highlight hundreds of phone calls...just the person's name on the phone record and the date of the record.

I put together the papers with an ACCO fastener. I didn't bind it to a folder because I figured they had their own standard folders. I did slip it into a thick folder and put rubber band around it just to provide a wrapping of sorts.

I would suggest using the Priority Mail envelope which is provided free at the post office. Get a return receipt added if you want evidence that it was signed for mailed back to you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hi everyone!

Anna

I'd aim for mid-day tomorrow since today is a holiday. Good luck!

Yeah, I ufortunately I didn't remember until I was half way to work and stuck in traffic. :bonk::P So annyoying! I think the K-1 visa stuff is beginning to take over my thinking already! And we still have such a long wayto go//// :crying:

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Hi everyone!

Anna

THank you so very much! Needless to say, I am relieved! (well for the time being anyway:)))

As of:

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Hi everyone!

Anna

The answer given to question two above is incorrect with respect to anything submitted to USCIS with the petition. The good news is that none of what you mention as "secondary evidence" really needed with the petition. Evidence of bona fide relationship can wait until the interview, where it need not be translated. You can concentrate on primary evidence of meeting within the past two years, like passport stamps and boarding passes that will be in English anyway. If you want to include secondary evidence like a few pictures, not need to translate photographs.

The principle is USCIS service centers in the US do not employ adjudicators with foreign language skills as a part of their job description but Consulates do. All official documents must be accompanied by certified English translations but all documents of any kind that you want USCIS to consider must have those translations, so avoid sending such documents if you can.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. Sometimes the smallest things are the most complicated...(well for me anyways!)

Edited by anka

As of:

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.