tmman

dual citizenship

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
if you are a dual citizen, can you travel with both passport, i mean, can you use any passport you want? and when going to your original country, what passport should we use?

No one country necessarily has the same laws. The answer depends on the laws of your country...

For the US, a USC MUST enter on a US passport.... This or similiar situation may be the law of your land... since you tell us not what your other nationality is there is little additional information that can be provided you.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I plan on applying for citizenship at some point once I am eligible. The way I understand it from a UK citizens perspective is that I could use the US passport for entering the US and the UK passport for entering the UK. I'd basically use the US or UK citizen lines (which tend to be shorter and less hassle) which should speed up the process of entering either country.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
For the US, a USC MUST enter on a US passport.... This or similiar situation may be the law of your land... since you tell us not what your other nationality is there is little additional information that can be provided you.

If you enter Canada, you have to do that on your US passport if you are dual citizen. I learned that the hard way with my daughter. Don't ask me why, just I got bitched at about that at the border among other things. :innocent:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you enter Canada, you have to do that on your US passport if you are dual citizen. I learned that the hard way with my daughter. Don't ask me why, just I got bitched at about that at the border among other things. :innocent:

Unless you are a Canadian Citizen. I'm both US and Canadian and I generally travel on my US passport since I don't have a current Canadian one and I'm a resident of the US. When I kept both up to date I used my US passport to cross into the US and my Canadian passport to cross into Canada.

The thing about using your US passport when crossing in to Canada probably has to do with visa agreements between Canada and the US. It is easier for a US citizen to gain entry to Canada than just about any other nationality. This is because of the openness, and size of the border between the countries and the huge volume of trade.

AOS

Date Filed : 2008-02-15

NOA Date : 2008-02-26

RFE(s) : 2008-03-13

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-07-23

Approved : 2008-07-23

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

EAD

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

Approved Date : 2008-04-24

Date Card Received : 2008-05-03

Comments : Packet Arrived in Chicago - Feb 20, 2008

Check cashed Feb 28, 2008

AP

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 2008-04-24

Date Received : 2008-05-01

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I assume you mean the US passport versus your German one... because if you are a dual US/Canadian they will want you to enter on the Canadian passport I presume.

Germany BTW, does not recognize dual citizenship in all cases.... maybe that is why you were *bitched* at.

YMMV

Timeline

I assume you mean the US passport versus your German one... because if you are a dual US/Canadian they will want you to enter on the Canadian passport I presume.

Germany BTW, does not recognize dual citizenship in all cases.... maybe that is why you were *bitched* at.

No. My daughter is a dual citizen. The POE officer there though insisted on her US passport after she saw mine. I have no idea why. Germans don`t need visas to enter Canada either. This was the same officer that also insisted that my husband`s I-551 stamp was not a valid re-entry stamp among other wrong things that she was just so suuuuurrree were right. Welcome to Canada!

ok guys, as far as i understand, when u become a us citizen, you can visit any country in the world with your us passport and enter to usa with your us passport, but when you enter your original country, you can use both either , us passport or your original passport...am i right? by the way my country recognizes dual citizenship ....

ok guys, as far as i understand, when u become a us citizen, you can visit any country in the world with your us passport and enter to usa with your us passport, but when you enter your original country, you can use both either , us passport or your original passport...am i right? by the way my country recognizes dual citizenship ....

I think the same way.

You are right!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am assuming you are taking into account the fact that you need to get a visa for numerous countries to enter and that some countries are basically off limits.

My fiancee is Brazilian and I understand they accept dual citizenship. Does this mean a) she doesn't need to file anything to get dual citizenship and B) once she becomes naturalized she will only need her 2 passports when travelling between the 2 countries?

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Timeline

You can't visit Cuba on a US passport. You will still need visas to other countries as they require. When you enter the country you have citizenship in, you generally have to present that country's passport and visa versa.

Edited by Wacken

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Gee, another bridge to cross I didn't think of. Week ago Monday got new passports for my wife and daughter for Venezuela, had to bring ID for me, our marriage certificate with an apostile on it to make them happy. We had to register our marriage so my wife and daughter could renew their passports.

Did that because we had no idea when our new green cards were coming in and was told we needed valid current passports for the I-551 stamp so they can stay in this country legally. But later on, also learned we only needed two passport photos and can do an I-94. Nice to get all this information. Anyway, they did get their shiny new green cards and have two brand new passports.

Did I mention they don't give these away for free?

Because you can't get USA passports with a green card, have no choice but to get a foreign passport, my argument or reason if you may with the Venezuelan Consulate to get them passports is that we still own property in Venezuela, ha, one advantage of dual citizenship is that you get to pay taxes to two different countries. We would like to sell those properties but can't legally take out the money. Could try and get black market US bucks, but probably would be arrested as a drug dealer when coming back here with that much cash. So we are just sitting tight for now, or maybe forever, who knows?

With the N-400 application in for my wife, that would mean a US passport as well, daughter has to wait another couple of years, she did a stupid thing by turning over 18 years of age while she was here. So if we go back there, providing if Chavez hasn't declared war on us by then, which passport should she use?

We went last year, she handled the Venezuelans with her Venezuelan passport, and I handled the US guys, thinking about going again this year but see the airline tickets doubled in price, something about a slight fuel surcharge. Then I am not sure if I like the idea about DHS agents playing with my wife's and my underwear or worse yet, our private parts. We get along fine with everyone, too bad our leaders can't, maybe we need new leaders.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Gee, another bridge to cross I didn't think of. Week ago Monday got new passports for my wife and daughter for Venezuela, had to bring ID for me, our marriage certificate with an apostile on it to make them happy. We had to register our marriage so my wife and daughter could renew their passports.

Did that because we had no idea when our new green cards were coming in and was told we needed valid current passports for the I-551 stamp so they can stay in this country legally. But later on, also learned we only needed two passport photos and can do an I-94. Nice to get all this information. Anyway, they did get their shiny new green cards and have two brand new passports.

Did I mention they don't give these away for free?

Because you can't get USA passports with a green card, have no choice but to get a foreign passport, my argument or reason if you may with the Venezuelan Consulate to get them passports is that we still own property in Venezuela, ha, one advantage of dual citizenship is that you get to pay taxes to two different countries. We would like to sell those properties but can't legally take out the money. Could try and get black market US bucks, but probably would be arrested as a drug dealer when coming back here with that much cash. So we are just sitting tight for now, or maybe forever, who knows?

With the N-400 application in for my wife, that would mean a US passport as well, daughter has to wait another couple of years, she did a stupid thing by turning over 18 years of age while she was here. So if we go back there, providing if Chavez hasn't declared war on us by then, which passport should she use?

We went last year, she handled the Venezuelans with her Venezuelan passport, and I handled the US guys, thinking about going again this year but see the airline tickets doubled in price, something about a slight fuel surcharge. Then I am not sure if I like the idea about DHS agents playing with my wife's and my underwear or worse yet, our private parts. We get along fine with everyone, too bad our leaders can't, maybe we need new leaders.

NickD - I can appreciate what you're saying about how frustrating the renewal of passports can be, but I am of the opinion that this is one of the true benefits of having US Citizenship. Aside from that, when your wife goes into Venezuela she will enter on her VZ passport, when she comes back here she will enter on her US passport - very easy...happens all the time.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
My fiancee is Brazilian and I understand they accept dual citizenship. Does this mean a) she doesn't need to file anything to get dual citizenship and B) once she becomes naturalized she will only need her 2 passports when travelling between the 2 countries?

That is correct.

If she is visiting any other country, she can choose which passport she wishes to use to enter that country. Sometimes it can be a better option to choose one or the other, depending on visa requirements for the country she is visiting.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If she is visiting any other country, she can choose which passport she wishes to use to enter that country. Sometimes it can be a better option to choose one or the other, depending on visa requirements for the country she is visiting.

Gee, I never thought about applying for a Venezuelan passport, and was just there. Ha, now I feel kind of left out only having one passport, and I don't even have a green card! It's no fair! LOL.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.