MelindaandTarek

It's Tuesday!!!!

103 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good morning MENA :) I started summer school last night (work full-time too) and my hubby was already in pajamas when I got home and my dinner in the microwave ready to be reheated :luv:

We'll see how long this lasts before he starts complaining about the house being a mess and how I never cook anymore :whistle:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Good morning all! Wishing everyone a wonderful day!!!!!

It's actually pretty nice out and I can't wait to get outside.

Dorothy

I'm enjoying a cloudy day. They are saying storms. Supposed to have bad storms tomorrow. That girl who died when the tree fell on her lives like 25 minutes from me. We just got a loud storm, not the sheer wind. I'm always protected by the mountains.

I am going to maybe go out and plant some seeds today! Yay! I got seeds for lots of things... jumbo pink banana squash, butternut squash, cinderella pumpkins, crimson sweet watermelons, trombocino squash, boston pickling cucumbers, santa claus melons, hale's best canteloupe, kentucky wonder pole beans, burpee's best mix of morning glories, moonflowers, birdhouse gourds, oregon giant snow peas, contender beans, and lemon cucumbers. I already have out 2 eggplants (ichiban and green goddess), 4 tomatoes (cherokee purple, yellow marble, jetstar, and arkansas traveler), and a red bell pepper. i have seeds for hot peppers. I think I may stuff them in by a bean or something.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hey everyone! I haven't posted much lately, but I have been popping in from time to time to see what is going on. It's so great to see so many new babies around, and so many people finally getting their visas!

I have been super busy lately. We are leaving tomorrow to go to Paris for a week and then we're leaving Paris to go to Algeria for another week. It will be my first trip to Algeria, and I'm so excited! It's also my dad's first trip overseas. He travels quite a bit for work, but it will be his first time using his passport. I've been trying to get my dad to go to France for 7 years, so this is a really big deal.

We've just been trying to get everything ready these past few weeks. We've been buying presents for Amed's family for months now, and we were still out at the mall last night trying to get some last minute things. Plus, I've been trying to find weather-appropriate clothes that I can wear in Algeria and still be covered enough to be respectful. I'm pretty conservative as it is, but I am used to wearing short sleeved shirts when it's hot out. For those of you who have visited the family in ME/NA after you were married, did you wear your normal clothes, or did you have to modify your wardrobe a little bit? For those of you who don't normally cover your head, did you do this when you went to your husband's ME/NA country? I think that's an interesting topic.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!!

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

Timeline
For those of you who have visited the family in ME/NA after you were married, did you wear your normal clothes, or did you have to modify your wardrobe a little bit? For those of you who don't normally cover your head, did you do this when you went to your husband's ME/NA country? I think that's an interesting topic.

I and my husband are really conservative... I wore my regular clothes or an abaya with long sleeves under (to not show my wrists). I did cover my hair a lot, but when I was working I didn;t wear a scarf-- I wore a big hat. I was excavating. A scarf would have killed me but the big hat covered my hair. I'd say I wore an abaya 99% of the time and a scarf 99% of the time when i saw his family. The one time I didn't, I ended up feeling naked. That was totally my choice though and not at all dependant on anything or a recommendation. I'd take clues from how HIS family dresses if you want to cover appropriately. All of my husband's family covers except one sister, and she is a part-time coverer. None of them wear short sleeves when people are over except for siblings and girls. So I saw the short sleeves, btu they always had a jacket to put on over it. I couldn't stand the idea of wearing a jacket, so I just wore my 2-layer chiffon abaya with a tank top underneath and some wrist/forearm covers. I have a crew-neck tank so nothing was showing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hey everyone! I haven't posted much lately, but I have been popping in from time to time to see what is going on. It's so great to see so many new babies around, and so many people finally getting their visas!

I have been super busy lately. We are leaving tomorrow to go to Paris for a week and then we're leaving Paris to go to Algeria for another week. It will be my first trip to Algeria, and I'm so excited! It's also my dad's first trip overseas. He travels quite a bit for work, but it will be his first time using his passport. I've been trying to get my dad to go to France for 7 years, so this is a really big deal.

We've just been trying to get everything ready these past few weeks. We've been buying presents for Amed's family for months now, and we were still out at the mall last night trying to get some last minute things. Plus, I've been trying to find weather-appropriate clothes that I can wear in Algeria and still be covered enough to be respectful. I'm pretty conservative as it is, but I am used to wearing short sleeved shirts when it's hot out. For those of you who have visited the family in ME/NA after you were married, did you wear your normal clothes, or did you have to modify your wardrobe a little bit? For those of you who don't normally cover your head, did you do this when you went to your husband's ME/NA country? I think that's an interesting topic.

Sounds pretty exciting - have a wonderful time and don't forget to give us an update after your return.

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Timeline
I am going to maybe go out and plant some seeds today! Yay! I got seeds for lots of things... jumbo pink banana squash, butternut squash, cinderella pumpkins, crimson sweet watermelons, trombocino squash, boston pickling cucumbers, santa claus melons, hale's best canteloupe, kentucky wonder pole beans, burpee's best mix of morning glories, moonflowers, birdhouse gourds, oregon giant snow peas, contender beans, and lemon cucumbers. I already have out 2 eggplants (ichiban and green goddess), 4 tomatoes (cherokee purple, yellow marble, jetstar, and arkansas traveler), and a red bell pepper. i have seeds for hot peppers. I think I may stuff them in by a bean or something.

Sounds like you have your hands busy, Julianna! I lived in a city all of my life and always wondered if I would enjoy gardening. You are doing well with all that you are harvesting - do you have a large plot that can accommodate all of the wonderful plants and veggies?

Citizenship (N-400)

DONE!!!

Timeline
Sounds like you have your hands busy, Julianna! I lived in a city all of my life and always wondered if I would enjoy gardening. You are doing well with all that you are harvesting - do you have a large plot that can accommodate all of the wonderful plants and veggies?

I have about 1/20 of an acre. I could actually fit a whole lot more than this-- maybe 5xs this ammount on the plot, but Ammar would have a heart attack. he likes things to be "neat." The funny part is I don't like melons, but he does, so they are for him. Same with the hot peppers. I interplanted some beets in teh tomatoes, so we'll see how that does. Do you have a balcony or some kind of small space outside of a window (like where you could fit a window box)? You could grow things in pots.

Timeline

I have about 1/20 of an acre. I could actually fit a whole lot more than this-- maybe 5xs this ammount on the plot, but Ammar would have a heart attack. he likes things to be "neat." The funny part is I don't like melons, but he does, so they are for him. Same with the hot peppers. I interplanted some beets in teh tomatoes, so we'll see how that does. Do you have a balcony or some kind of small space outside of a window (like where you could fit a window box)? You could grow things in pots.

WOW - you got the gardening gene!

I was debating about growing mint in a pot for Jamal's tea - I guess I will have to work some space om my kitchen window or the fire escape staircase but definitely just in pots...

Citizenship (N-400)

DONE!!!

Timeline

I was debating about growing mint in a pot for Jamal's tea - I guess I will have to work some space om my kitchen window or the fire escape staircase but definitely just in pots...

LOL! I started gardening as a kid, but then when I moved out on my own I really got into it. I used to have like 600 roses, all OGRS, and a variety of perennials and herbs, etc... then recently (like past 5 years) I got into veggies. I used to always have at least a pot of tomatoes though.

Mint in a pot is good! Tomatoes can be grown in a pot too, if you like them. Peppers are another really easy pot-vegetable.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extensi.../container.html

is a decent link with pictures. I like pictures. I hate just trying to read about doing something with no pictures! With the prices of food nowdays going up, it's worth it to have a few of your own plants. Most of my seeds were the cheapie seeds for like .30/packet. So basically, if I even get ONE fruit off of the vine, I will have made my money back.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I use tons of mint, basil, cilantro and parsley in my cooking each week that I'd *love* to grow my own indoors but I just know the cat will eat it all before it has a chance to grow. I tried growing some in the summer a few times but we have pesky critters that munch on that too. :(

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
I got my little pot growing. Mint.

I remember you were going to grow mint before on the back porch.

I use tons of mint, basil, cilantro and parsley in my cooking each week that I'd *love* to grow my own indoors but I just know the cat will eat it all before it has a chance to grow. I tried growing some in the summer a few times but we have pesky critters that munch on that too. :(

Were they insects or animals (the pesky critters)? You can defend against each. The cat may not munch on them, it's hard to say. SOme cats don't like the strong smell of herbs. Others will eat anything. I have one that loves grapefruit, pickles, and mustard. Heck, *I* don't even like mustard!

Timeline

LOL! I started gardening as a kid, but then when I moved out on my own I really got into it. I used to have like 600 roses, all OGRS, and a variety of perennials and herbs, etc... then recently (like past 5 years) I got into veggies. I used to always have at least a pot of tomatoes though.

Mint in a pot is good! Tomatoes can be grown in a pot too, if you like them. Peppers are another really easy pot-vegetable.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extensi.../container.html

is a decent link with pictures. I like pictures. I hate just trying to read about doing something with no pictures! With the prices of food nowdays going up, it's worth it to have a few of your own plants. Most of my seeds were the cheapie seeds for like .30/packet. So basically, if I even get ONE fruit off of the vine, I will have made my money back.

Thanks for the tips and the links - I'll look into it. :thumbs: Having more space is one of the reasons why I fantasize about moving out from NY - but so far it's just a fantasy - I guess I don't want it bad enough to make it happen.

One day, one day.... :whistle: :whistle:

Citizenship (N-400)

DONE!!!

Filed: Timeline

Last year I tried to grow it from seeds and the poor little sprouts got to be about 2 inches and died.

sounds like my EX

I will try again this year. The seeds are now in the little seedling dirt pellet things in the window. Also in my window are tomatoes and cucumbers. Still too cold here to plant in the ground.

Edited by just_Jackie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.