Pammy

Valid reason for purpose of travel on I-131

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

Do you really need a very good reason to apply for a travel document or re entry permit? Is there a valid or invalid reason for purpose of travel on the I-131 (travel document application)?

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi,

Do you really need a very good reason to apply for a travel document or re entry permit? Is there a valid or invalid reason for purpose of travel on the I-131 (travel document application)?

Just got ours yesterday - the only reason for ours was pending AOS (though the wait for our interview will likely be years, still on 2004 at our office here).

I'm sure the Emergency ones have a higher standard, though nothing stops you from applying for an ordinary one. Re-entry permit is in theory better - you are a permanent resident and will be allowed in. AP is still up to the to POE if they want to let you in or not, so it isn't fool proof.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline
Hi,

Just got ours yesterday - the only reason for ours was pending AOS (though the wait for our interview will likely be years, still on 2004 at our office here).

I'm sure the Emergency ones have a higher standard, though nothing stops you from applying for an ordinary one. Re-entry permit is in theory better - you are a permanent resident and will be allowed in. AP is still up to the to POE if they want to let you in or not, so it isn't fool proof.

So, there is NO right or wrong reason/purpose to stay outside the US for a year or so? I mean, it doesnt really have to be a very good reason to go out of the US for more than a year. It can simply be just a really long vacation?

Thanks.

Filed: Timeline

Pammy,

If you qualify for a travel document, 'I want to' is a sufficient reason for one to be granted. 'I might want to' is even good enough for advance parole for a K1 adjustment applicant.

If you're going to be gone for a long period of time be sure that you take steps to preserve the USA as your primary place of residence that you do not intend to abandon. Time alone - 1 year - will result in a presumption of abandonment for an LPR who has not obtained a re-entry permit.

Yodrak

Hi,

So, there is NO right or wrong reason/purpose to stay outside the US for a year or so? I mean, it doesnt really have to be a very good reason to go out of the US for more than a year. It can simply be just a really long vacation?

Thanks.

Timeline
Pammy,

If you qualify for a travel document, 'I want to' is a sufficient reason for one to be granted. 'I might want to' is even good enough for advance parole for a K1 adjustment applicant.

If you're going to be gone for a long period of time be sure that you take steps to preserve the USA as your primary place of residence that you do not intend to abandon. Time alone - 1 year - will result in a presumption of abandonment for an LPR who has not obtained a re-entry permit.

Yodrak

Just a thought... Have you heard of any re entry permits applications not being approved? So as long as I ask for "permission" for my travel, it would be valid?

Another question, if I stay for more than 6 months but less than 1 year, do I need to apply for re entry permit? Will it affect my I-751 (removing conditions on GC)? My husband will remain in the US and everything is under our names (utility bills, rent, bank accounts, insurance, etc.). I just really want to spend as much as time as possible with my ill father in the Philippines without risking my GC.

Thank you for all your help.

Filed: Timeline

Pammy,

Less than a year should not require a re-entry permit, but you don't want to cut it too close and then get stuck out of the country for some reason.

Have a consultation with an immigration attorney who has some experience with abandonment issues. Such attorney should be able to give you some good information on what to do to preserve your status. (such attorney may not be easy to find, but a suitable attorney need not be local to you)

Yodrak

Just a thought... Have you heard of any re entry permits applications not being approved? So as long as I ask for "permission" for my travel, it would be valid?

Another question, if I stay for more than 6 months but less than 1 year, do I need to apply for re entry permit? Will it affect my I-751 (removing conditions on GC)? My husband will remain in the US and everything is under our names (utility bills, rent, bank accounts, insurance, etc.). I just really want to spend as much as time as possible with my ill father in the Philippines without risking my GC.

Thank you for all your help.

Just be Honest.

Have family back home, Whether it's mom, grand pa,

Put your family as a reason to get the AP in case of an emmergency you would need to leave at a moment noticed, which is not possible without advance AP, without jeapordizing the AOS process.

Gone but not Forgotten!

• 11 years later...
Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Can we make this thread active please? Or if someone can guide me to recent discussion on I-131. Need to apply for one and need answers to some questions like:

• What to write in Purpose of Trip?
  • How long is the processing time from the point they receive my application till they call for bio metrics?
  • Yes, I have to be in US for bio metrics, but do I need to be in US from the time I apply till bio metrics or I can just apply and when they call for bio metrics, I can just walk in and out again.
  • Finally how hard is it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 hours ago, diwanrayan said:
  • What to write in Purpose of Trip?
  • How long is the processing time from the point they receive my application till they call for bio metrics?
  • Yes, I have to be in US for bio metrics, but do I need to be in US from the time I apply till bio metrics or I can just apply and when they call for bio metrics, I can just walk in and out again.
  • Finally how hard is it?

1.  "In case of emergency need"

2.  No one knows for sure.  Check the various processing-times.

3.  If you don't have an Advance Parole document, you can leave the U.S. but not be let back in.

4.  Unclear question.

The above have all been asked and answered many times in various threads.  If the answers above and your reading fail to provide satisfactory information, please start a new thread.

---

Thread from 2006 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.