zqt3344

US permanent resident travel on vacation to Mexico or Jamiaca

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Anyone have first hand, current experience or knowledge of the visa entry requirements for Jamaica and Mexico when a US permanent resident is going to be traveling there for 2 week vacation or less? :unsure:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just need a valid passport and your green card to travel to Jamaica.

Don't know about Mexico, personally, but I think it is the same.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Mexico: Need a passport if going by air.

travel.state.gov would have the latest info

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline
Mexico: Need a passport if going by air. If crossing the border by land, a photo driver's license and proof of US birth like a birth certificate, but that is suppose to change this summer.

I thought they moved it to 2009 now.

And, they are not US born in this case. She said permanent resident. Thus, she would need her passport and her green card.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Mexico: Need a passport if going by air. If crossing the border by land, a photo driver's license and proof of US birth like a birth certificate, but that is suppose to change this summer.

I thought they moved it to 2009 now.

And, they are not US born in this case. She said permanent resident. Thus, she would need her passport and her green card.

Ok take it step further, what if you are married, permanent resident with US driver license and green card in your married name now but the passport is still in maiden name, will taking copy or marriage license be ok to verify when entering Jamaica or Mexico?

Timeline

I just told you via PM.....not marriage license.....you need the certified copy of marriage certificate. Go to your local city hall if you don't have that.

Get that and you will be fine.

Book ticket in the name in your passport.

Hey ZQT...........I just realized you are in St. Louis. Me too. Watch it's something crazy like we are sitting right down the street from each other, talking online!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok take it step further, what if you are married, permanent resident with US driver license and green card in your married name now but the passport is still in maiden name, will taking copy or marriage license be ok to verify when entering Jamaica or Mexico?[/b]

I have travelled with my passport and airline tickets in my maiden name, my US ID/immigration paperwork in my married name, and a certified copy of my marriage certificate a total of five times now and I have yet to have a problem doing it this way. If you fly with your tickets in your married name (which I do not suggest, as the airlines and the security people may take issue with that), you will need to take a copy of your marriage certificate to show your change in name, not your marriage license.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Interesting, Cassie. Cause everything I have read and heard says the name on the passport must match the name on the ticket.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Interesting, Cassie. Cause everything I have read and heard says the name on the passport must match the name on the ticket.

Aye, that is what I have heard and practised myself. I took the OP to mean the tickets were already booked in the married name and couldn't change them. I think (heavy emphasis on the word think) I have read that people here on VJ have gotten through with a difference in the last names, but 'tis very rare.

I am currently in Canada on a trip. When I checked in at the AA counter, they have a new automatic system. I had to swipe my passport, and then my expired GC for some reason. A "wait until airline personnel look at your paperwork" message came up. I was about to whip out my extension letter and marriage certificate to explain the name discrepancy, but she didn't thoroughly look at them. Going through security, however, is definitely a different matter as they definitely check the names on the passport and tickets.

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Timeline

So, you suggest since the tickets have not been purchased, you would book in the same name as the passport?

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
So, you suggest since the tickets have not been purchased, you would book in the same name as the passport?

Based on my experience, I would definitely book tickets in the same name as passport, yes. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would book tickets in whatever name is on the ID you will be presenting to the airline/TSA ID checker. For international travel that will most likely be the passport. For domestic travel it could be your state or other ID.

Anyone have first hand, current experience or knowledge of the visa entry requirements for Jamaica and Mexico when a US permanent resident is going to be traveling there for 2 week vacation or less? :unsure:

You will find your answer here

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline
Hey Jomo's girl,

My wife and I would like to go to Jamaica on the 24th. of May. She has expired GC with extension letter and Mexico Passport. Do you see any problems with that? Montego Bay Baby.

As long as the extension letter is not expired, none whatsoever. Book the ticket in whatever name is in her passport. Take passport, green card, extension letter, certified marriage certificate, and whatever state ID she may have. I would bring it all.

Where are you going in Mo Bay? My husband is from Mo Bay. Spent a whole lot of time there.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Hey Jomo's girl,

Where looking to stay in the Hip Strip zone, 6 nites. We are sort of leaning at staying at this place called Tobys Hotel. I read its towards the end of the zone. Its fits are budget. Once where there, fun in the sun and going on some tourist attractions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.