Nessa

Do you have to be a Christian to wear a cross necklace?

Do you have to be a Christian to wear a cross necklace?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have to be a Christian to wear a cross necklace?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

for the presents and the chocolate, of course! :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

baddies! :lol:

I wonder if the people that wear a cross without being christian/catholic would mind someone mistaking them for a catholic/ christian.

btw, I thought christians did not wear crosses? that it's more of a catholic thing?

Saludos,

Caro

First, Catholics are Christians, they believe in the Trinity, the Deity of Christ, his death on the cross, and his resurrection and ascension. Catholicism is not a separate religion.

Second, many Christians, not just Catholics, do wear crosses and even crucifixes. I'm not Catholic, I'm Lutheran, but I wear a crucifix all the time. A crucifix is not a "Catholic" symbol, it is a Christian symbol. And sure, as was pointed out, Christ isn't still on the cross, but his death on the cross is what saves us, which is the point of the symbol.

Interesting. I think catholicism and christians (lutherans, baptists, evangelics...) are considered different religions, they have many similarities (after all, they used to be one), but they also have differences

*Different sacraments ( catholicism has baptism, penance and reconciliation, eucharist, confirmation, anointing of the sick, holy orders and matrimony)

*Catholics believe in transubstanciation

*Have a different view on the virgin mary

*The head of the church is the Pope

I remember when pope John Paul II summoned the different religions to pray together, the christian church had it's own representative? and I used to watch this show back in Argentina, it was very interesting, different representatives of different religions would discuss their views on different topics, and the panel had a representative from the catholic church, one for the christian church, judaism, muslim and hindu...

but I'm just pointing out the differeces I know from what I've observed, I'm opening the topic for discussion.

And the reason I thought christians did not wear crosses comes from the experience with talking to evangelics, so I guess lutherans and evangelics don't agree on this point?

Saludos,

Caro

Edited by JVKn'CVO

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I was raised Orthodox Christian and i was always taught that you're supposed to wear the cross necklace you get when you're christened underneath your shirt at all times, but never show it off. And then I was educated by Quakers for 15 years, and they don't really believe in any kind of showy symbols. Even though I'm an atheist now, any kind of big showy cross jewelry seems really odd to me.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
[First, Catholics are Christians, they believe in the Trinity, the Deity of Christ, his death on the cross, and his resurrection and ascension. Catholicism is not a separate religion.

Second, many Christians, not just Catholics, do wear crosses and even crucifixes. I'm not Catholic, I'm Lutheran, but I wear a crucifix all the time. A crucifix is not a "Catholic" symbol, it is a Christian symbol. And sure, as was pointed out, Christ isn't still on the cross, but his death on the cross is what saves us, which is the point of the symbol.

Interesting. I think catholicism and christians (lutherans, baptists, evangelics...) are considered different religions, they have many similarities (after all, they used to be one), but they also have differences

*Different sacraments ( catholicism has baptism, penance and reconciliation, eucharist, confirmation, anointing of the sick, holy orders and matrimony)

*Catholics believe in transubstanciation

*Have a different view on the virgin mary

*The head of the church is the Pope

I remember when pope John Paul II summoned the different religions to pray together, the christian church had it's own representative? and I used to watch this show back in Argentina, it was very interesting, different representatives of different religions would discuss their views on different topics, and the panel had a representative from the catholic church, one for the christian church, judaism, muslim and hindu...

but I'm just pointing out the differeces I know from what I've observed, I'm opening the topic for discussion.

And the reason I thought christians did not wear crosses comes from the experience with talking to evangelics, so I guess lutherans and evangelics don't agree on this point?

Saludos,

Caro

Each of the Christian groups you mentioned (catholicism and christians (lutherans, baptists, evangelics...)) confesses Jesus as Lord and God, which makes them Christian, and not separate religions. They are divided from one another, but it is better to think of them as divisions within Christianity, than as distinct religions. If a group can confess the doctrines of the Nicene Creed, whether or not they actually use creeds in their worship, then they are Christian.

As for the representatives you mentioned, there is no institution called "the Christian Church" in the sense that there would be one representative for it, as the Pope as the Bishop of Rome represents the Roman Catholic Church.

Lutherans and "evangelicals" (actually a rather broad term) don't generally agree on crosses, specifically crucifixes. Lutherans were the conservative branch of the Reformation, and basically took the approach of keeping whatever had been handed down that did not get in the way of Christ. So, things like the liturgy of the Western Catholic tradition, crucifixes, icons, making the sign of the cross, etc. don't bother us the way they do some other Christian groups. Some Christians criticize the use of crucifixes on the grounds that since Christ rose from the dead, an empty cross should be used as a sign of the Resurrection. But, even if Christ were still in the tomb, the cross would still be empty, so an empty cross really doesn't symbolize the Resurrection. A crucifix, however, is a sign of the central doctrine of Christianity, that Christ died on the cross for the sins of the world. Also, an empty cross has become merely a symbol of Christianity as a world religion in the same way a Star of David is a symbol of Judaism and a crescent is a symbol of Islam, without really saying anything specifically Christian, as far as doctrinal content goes. Plus, as has been mentioned, a simple cross is not a uniquely Christian symbol. A crucifix, however, is an explicitly, unambiguously Christian symbol, and clearly communicates what Christianity is about.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Still no comments on what I perceived to be Sister Fracas' mistake of "ohm" and "om".

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Still no comments on what I perceived to be Sister Fracas' mistake of "ohm" and "om".

Maybe because I don't sit on VisaJourney all weekend when I have better things to do with my husband...

Om, Aum, Ohm is a holy meditation symbol of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism (see graphic at top of page) with a profusion of esoteric and exoteric meanings. In modern usage Om means the Word, the “parnava,†the eternal. Various accounts are given of its origin; one that it is the term of assent used by the gods, and probably an old contracted form of the Sanskirt word "evam" meaning "thus." The laws of the "Manu" say that the word was formed by Brahma himself, who extracted the letters "a" "u" "m" from the "Vedas," one from each; and they thus explain its mysterious power and sanctity. "Om" is also the name given by the Hindus to the spiritual sun, as opposed to "Sooruj," the natural sun. From http://visit.elysiumgates.com/aum.html

The symbol Om, Ohm or Aum is believed to be the sound that was spoken to create the universe and life. From http://www.ethnicityonline.net/logo_explanations.htm

The Absolute

AUM (OM, OHM) within Hinduism symbolizes the unborn non-dualistic, omnispresent, impersonal Absolute, which incoperates all forms of life; which is life. The sacred AUM symbol above represents both the unmanifest, nirguna, and manifest, saguna, aspects of the Absolute. By sound and form, AUM symbolizes the infinite Brahman* (ultimate reality). From http://www.muktinath.org/hinduism/om-aum.htm

Moola Mantra

Ohm Saktheeyei! Paraa Saktheeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Aadhi Paraa Saktheeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Maruvoor Araseeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Ohm Veenaayagaa!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Ohm Kaamaatcheeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Ohm Bangaaru Kaamaatcheeyei!

Ohm Sakthi!

From http://www.omsakthi.org/

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Frances opened up some whoopazz... heh/

:blush:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Maybe because I don't sit on VisaJourney all weekend when I have better things to do with my husband...

Om, Aum, Ohm is a holy meditation symbol of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism (see graphic at top of page) with a profusion of esoteric and exoteric meanings. In modern usage Om means the Word, the “parnava,†the eternal. Various accounts are given of its origin; one that it is the term of assent used by the gods, and probably an old contracted form of the Sanskirt word "evam" meaning "thus." The laws of the "Manu" say that the word was formed by Brahma himself, who extracted the letters "a" "u" "m" from the "Vedas," one from each; and they thus explain its mysterious power and sanctity. "Om" is also the name given by the Hindus to the spiritual sun, as opposed to "Sooruj," the natural sun. From http://visit.elysiumgates.com/aum.html

The symbol Om, Ohm or Aum is believed to be the sound that was spoken to create the universe and life. From http://www.ethnicityonline.net/logo_explanations.htm

The Absolute

AUM (OM, OHM) within Hinduism symbolizes the unborn non-dualistic, omnispresent, impersonal Absolute, which incoperates all forms of life; which is life. The sacred AUM symbol above represents both the unmanifest, nirguna, and manifest, saguna, aspects of the Absolute. By sound and form, AUM symbolizes the infinite Brahman* (ultimate reality). From http://www.muktinath.org/hinduism/om-aum.htm

Moola Mantra

Ohm Saktheeyei! Paraa Saktheeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Aadhi Paraa Saktheeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Maruvoor Araseeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Ohm Veenaayagaa!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Ohm Kaamaatcheeyei!

Ohm Saktheeyei! Ohm Bangaaru Kaamaatcheeyei!

Ohm Sakthi!

From http://www.omsakthi.org/

:no: the true ohm.....

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

For me Christian is a follower of Christ Jesus. not just like the other religions they called christian but they worshipping to the different saints. has no specific who they worship with.

For me i do only believe and worship:

The God the Father

The Son "Jesus Christ"

and The Holy Spirit

Not the saints!

As a Christian, the head of the church is Jesus Christ not the pope.

Church is the people not the building.

The Holy Spirit will live in the temple "heart" of the people not in the building

AOS/EAD

o5-29-08--SENT THE AOS PACKAGE TO USCIS

o5-31-08--Item was delivered at 5:35 AM in CHICAGO, IL 60680.

o6-04-08--USCIS recieved the AOS and EAD package

o6-10-08--AOS and EAD NOA date

o6-14-08--Recieved a AOS and EAD notice for Biometric on June 24, 2008

o6-24-08--AOS and EAD Biometrics done today! @ 9:00 a.m in West Palm Fl.

o6-24-08--AOS and EAD touch!

o6-25-08--AOS and EAD touch!

o7-08-08--AOS case transfered to CSC

o7-11-08--AOS case pending at CSC

o8-07-08--EAD Card Production Ordered today!CRIS

o8-14-08--AOS touched

o8-15-08--Email from CRIS Welcoming for a new resident in the USA

o8-15-08--Email from CRIS EAD notice approval

o8-15-08--EAD card arrived in the mail, EAD was approved in 70 days.

o8-18-08--Received hard copy of WELCOME LETTER as a new resident in the USA

o8-25-08--GREEN CARD Card Production Ordered

o8-29-08--AOS Approved! without Interview

o9-02-08--Received GREEN CARD with out INTERVIEW, with out RFE.

Timeline
:no: the true ohm.....

link

piss off Charles. I'm not going to click on your link which I'm sure has the electrical definition.

Go tell everyone on all of the religious/spiritual sites that spell it the same way to change their websites for you and your pedantic friend Cherry.

Edited by Sister Fracas

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED