mRx

Identity theft

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
[quote name='charlesandnessa' post='1770754'

It was done on my debit card.

pretty much why i don't use them things. a credit card would give you more protection plus it's not gone from your account. is your checking account with usaa yet? you can get a credit card from them quite easily, and then just transfer online money from the checking account to the credit card. i've not sent them a payment in over 10 years now via the mail. you can also call in and have money transfered that way too.

I have my auto insurance through USAA and their cust. service is really top-notch. Unfortunately they really can't compete with my bank for interest rates.

I will look into them again though, and see what the difference would be between them and my credit union for a credit card.

I will definetely have to get a credit card either way it seems. It sucks, cuz the debit card is just so damn convenient.

while their interest rate on their checking accounts probably isn't as good, the ability to move money around like i depicted above is worth it. and besides, who gets rich on interest on their checking account? :P

debit cards are pretty much like a credit card in the way of convenience, until something like this happens. then it becomes a nightmare. i opt for the protection of a credit card and pass on the debit card.

eta: credit card interest rate is currently 6.0%

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty much why i don't use them things. a credit card would give you more protection plus it's not gone from your account. is your checking account with usaa yet? you can get a credit card from them quite easily, and then just transfer online money from the checking account to the credit card. i've not sent them a payment in over 10 years now via the mail. you can also call in and have money transfered that way too.

I have my auto insurance through USAA and their cust. service is really top-notch. Unfortunately they really can't compete with my bank for interest rates.

I will look into them again though, and see what the difference would be between them and my credit union for a credit card.

I will definetely have to get a credit card either way it seems. It sucks, cuz the debit card is just so damn convenient.

while their interest rate on their checking accounts probably isn't as good, the ability to move money around like i depicted above is worth it. and besides, who gets rich on interest on their checking account? :P

debit cards are pretty much like a credit card in the way of convenience, until something like this happens. then it becomes a nightmare. i opt for the protection of a credit card and pass on the debit card.

Yeah I was referring to the interest I pay them, not the interest they pay me. But 6% sounds doable to me.

When I was shopping for my auto loan, USAA wouldn't go lower than about 7.5% for me, and my current bank blew that out of the water with 5.24%.

It seems like I will need to get a credit card though. I have always tried to avoid them though, simply because of the small print. (i.e if your 30 days late, the APR will be 28.89%) Of course, I've always been responsible in paying things on time, so I guess I won't have a problem. I'll shop around though for the best rates. Thanks Charles.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah I was referring to the interest I pay them, not the interest they pay me. But 6% sounds doable to me.

When I was shopping for my auto loan, USAA wouldn't go lower than about 7.5% for me, and my current bank blew that out of the water with 5.24%.

It seems like I will need to get a credit card though. I have always tried to avoid them though, simply because of the small print. (i.e if your 30 days late, the APR will be 28.89%) Of course, I've always been responsible in paying things on time, so I guess I won't have a problem. I'll shop around though for the best rates. Thanks Charles.

what charles said about USAA ... I'll second :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I wish someone would steal my identity, so they could pay all these bills!

All kidding aside, I'm so sorry Matt. I hope you get it fixed.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Well, I just found out that I spent $600 at Nordstroms while I was sleeping today.

Ain't that fukcin great?

Nordstroms is a little pricey for me. It wouldn't take long for my bank to figure out that it was bs.

There's a law to limit liability on credtt cards from fraud to $50, though that doesn't take into account the time it takes to get your credit fixed and to clean up the rest of the mess.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

i would think the debit card would be harder for someone else to use because you need to enter the PIN number... whereas a credit card you don't have to.... :unsure:

Some people call a check card, a debit card as well. That does not need a pin and functions much like a credit card.

UPDATE:

The fraudulent charges were made using DEBIT and my PIN!

Sounds like an act of God, considering my card never left my possession and I have shredded every statement I have gotten.

The plot thickens....

Have you used it at ATMs? Thats probably the easist place to clone a card and get the pin.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
i would think the debit card would be harder for someone else to use because you need to enter the PIN number... whereas a credit card you don't have to.... :unsure:

Some people call a check card, a debit card as well. That does not need a pin and functions much like a credit card.

yeah we have a check card but ours has a pin number...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

But the credit card offers more protection. I had 2 unauthorized charges on my credit card & I just charge back to the credit card company - they took it out of my account right away & I never those charges appearing again. Whereas with debit card, the money is already taken from your account while you are waiting for the outcome.

I usually try to use credit card as much as I can - for the protection & for the cashback/point.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

yeah we have a check card but ours has a pin number...

So does mine, but i dont need to use the pin number when purchasing anything, just when accessing ATM's

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, the interesting thing about Debit Cards in the U.S. is that you don't necessarily need a PIN number for purchases, but you can use one, if you wish. I know that sounds odd, but in many cases, the store or even online vendor you're buying from can run the Debit Card through just like a Credit Card, without you ever having to enter a PIN.

Why would you want to do this, when it's potentially less secure? The answer is there's sometimes a fee assoicated with some purchases with Debit Cards, whereas there isn't one with Credit Cards. So when buying something at a store for instance, I can swipe my Debit Card and it'll ask for my PIN. All I have to do then is press "CANCEL" on the LCD display and then tell the machine to run the card as a Credit Card instead and it does so.

Unfortunately, what this means is that anyone who got ahold of this card illegally could do the same as well. Since there are no safety measures in place for Debit Cards like there are with Credit Cards (mostly because you're using the Credit Card company's money and then paying it back; not because they actually "care" about you), you could be screwed out of a lot of money if that account attached to the Debit Card has a lot in it.

Once again, I know this sounds weird and may make you wonder why Debit Cards even exist (many Americans often wonder the same thing, which is why Credit Cards are generally so much more popular here) since there doesn't seem to be very many benefits to using them -- except, perhaps, avoiding debt. Perhaps if something like Interac was instituted here in the United States, Debit Cards would become more worthwhile, but until then, there's not a whole lot of point.

Matt...this scam just took place in my town in Southern Ontario.

People were working from the inside out.

They have a machine that when you swipe your ATM/Debit card, it captures your cards information. It's placed underneath and sometimes inside the real area where you swipe your card. They also install a tiny pin hole sized camera just above the key pad, so they film you entering your 4 digit pin.

Perhaps this is the same thing going on in your area.

Sorry this happened to you :(

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

UPDATE:

Sounds like an act of God, considering my card never left my possession and I have shredded every statement I have gotten.

The plot thickens....

Have you used it at ATMs? Thats probably the easist place to clone a card and get the pin.

The last time I used an ATM was on the Air Force Base, using the ATM at the bank here.

21FUNNY.gif

UPDATE:

The plot thickens....

The last time I used an ATM was on the Air Force Base, using the ATM at the bank here.

Try to remember the last several times you have used an ATM. Its possible that the atm that captured your data you had visited several months prior to the fradulant transactions.

There are two ways to get card users data from an ATM. One is buying an ATM yourself and setting it up somewhere and getting the data that way. The other is modifing an existing atm to capture the magnetic strip data and your pin.

keTiiDCjGVo