DenisBlack

Visa expiration after 6 months

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know that visa automatically expires if the intending immigrant doesn't enter the US within 6 months of issuance. But could anyone provide a link to an official government site where this is stated. I couldn't find anything on sites such as travel.state.gov or embassy in Rio. I'm trying to get the permission for my step-daughter to exit Brazil through Brazilian court and I think I might be able to speed this extremely slow process up if I could provide some proof of this regulation. I figured I'd ask the knowledgeable people of visajourney before I contact the embassy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I know that visa automatically expires if the intending immigrant doesn't enter the US within 6 months of issuance. But could anyone provide a link to an official government site where this is stated. I couldn't find anything on sites such as travel.state.gov or embassy in Rio. I'm trying to get the permission for my step-daughter to exit Brazil through Brazilian court and I think I might be able to speed this extremely slow process up if I could provide some proof of this regulation. I figured I'd ask the knowledgeable people of visajourney before I contact the embassy.

I got that information in the consulate the day of my interview. Also, you can see that the visa is valid until 6 months after. It has a date printed on it.

Timeline

Thank you both for your help.

Let me clarify a bit what I'm asking and why. We are going for the CR-1 visa and we are ready to send the DS-230 packet out. So potentially, we are looking at an interview date in roughly 3 months. I understand that the visa expiration will be printed on the visa itself. However, I would like to add this to my case now in hopes of speeding up the procedure. Meaning, if I present to the judge the fact that according to US law, the intending immigrant must enter the US within 6 months of issuance of visa, this might be encouraging to get the case moving along quicker. I want the judge to know this now and to know that we are getting close, so when we do get the visa, that would (hopefully) speed things up even more. I see this information on VisaJourney and just about any commercial Visa Service site, and it seems to be known as a common knowledge, but I can't find anything official about this anywhere.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Thank you both for your help.

Let me clarify a bit what I'm asking and why. We are going for the CR-1 visa and we are ready to send the DS-230 packet out. So potentially, we are looking at an interview date in roughly 3 months. I understand that the visa expiration will be printed on the visa itself. However, I would like to add this to my case now in hopes of speeding up the procedure. Meaning, if I present to the judge the fact that according to US law, the intending immigrant must enter the US within 6 months of issuance of visa, this might be encouraging to get the case moving along quicker. I want the judge to know this now and to know that we are getting close, so when we do get the visa, that would (hopefully) speed things up even more. I see this information on VisaJourney and just about any commercial Visa Service site, and it seems to be known as a common knowledge, but I can't find anything official about this anywhere.

What you're looking for is contained in the FAM.

http://www.state.gov/m/a/ips/c22793.htm

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
What you're looking for is contained in the FAM.

http://www.state.gov/m/a/ips/c22793.htm

Thank you. This is definitely getting warmer. I remember seeing this a long time ago but couldn't remember what it was called and how I found it. It seems like it should be buried somewhere there. Although a thorough look through

Consular Affairs > Acquisition And Retention Of U.S. Citizenship And Nationality

which sounded like the most logical place to find this information didn't yield any results. I'll keep digging.

Thanks again.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Here is a recent document from DoS for immigrant visa from Mumbai Consulate: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/supplements/BM...L-0001-0804.pdf

It has a section on Visa Validity.

If your consulate is listed on http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3742.html with consulate-specific information in similar fashion, you then found a more relevant information. Otherwise, you can show Mumbai specific information. This duration does not change with conutry or consulate.

Hope this helps.

Sanjiv Patel

Visa expiration date should be mentioned in your visa stamp glued to your passport.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.