Asante Maroon

PORT of ENTRY (into the US) INFORMATION

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to forewarn you about a possible clerical error at the Port of Entry (POE)into the US that will affect your Social Security Application and Adjustment of Status. (For those who are not familiar with this:The POE is where your fiance goes when he first arrives in the US, right off the plane)

When I went to my local Social Security Administration office to apply for a social security card for my SO, we were told that there was a "name mismatch error" that appeared on the screen when they tried to enter my SO's information. Apparently, the officer who entered his name into the system at the POE into the US, misspelled his name (one letter in his last name). This mistake, delayed the process of his SS card because the application process could not be completed with this type of error.

My SO had to go all the way back to the POE to correct the mistake and will have to go back to the SS office to complete his application. The mistake could not be corrected by mail, phone, or on the internet.

I don't know how an officer at the POE will feel to be told to double check the spelling of your SO's name when inputting it into the computer, but I think its worth it if it saves you time and prevents a delay in any of your applications.

I just thought I should pass this info onto you guys. Hopefully you will have better luck!

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank you for sharing.

There is no way I am going to be happy to make the 2 hour trip to JFK to fix that.

The IO is going to be annoyed with me :whistle:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
Thank you for sharing.

There is no way I am going to be happy to make the 2 hour trip to JFK to fix that.

The IO is going to be annoyed with me :whistle:

:lol: I hear you! Trust me. I had to got to work so my SO had to trek it on the train by himself to get there.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We experienced the same. The error was created by DOS. However, SSA attendant was kind enough to process the application in spite of the spelling mistake. We were advised to notify USCIS of the mistake so it can be changed. So far we had two infopass appointments to correct data entry mistakes.

AOS Timeline......

03/10/2008 - Mailed AOS Appl.

03/13/2008 - NOA Notice Date.

03/15/2008 - NOA's for : I-485, I-131 & I-765

03/16/2008 - Case online.

03/22/2008 - Biometrics assigned date: 04/01/2008, Bio completed early .

03/24/2008 - AOS Touched.

03/27/2008 - RFE Letter : Dated.

03/31/2008 - RFE snail mail rec'd date ( EZ-864 / Missing birth certificate).

04/01/2008 - Mailed RFE response.

04/03/2008 - RFE document delivered to Lees Summit, MO @ 4:03 P.M:

04/07/2008 - AOS Touched, Current status: Response to rfe received, and case processing has resumed.

04/08/2008 - AOS Touched.

05/27/2008 - AOS Touched, received USCIS email indicated case transfered to CSC.

05/29/2008 - AOS Touched.

05/31/2008 - USCIS snail mail stating I-485 has been transferred to CSC to speedup processing.

06/03/2008 - Received email from CSC confirming reception of transferred I-485.

06/03,04,06 - Touched!

08/28/2008 - Green card rec'd in mail.

06/11/2008 - I-131 Approval email received.

06/13/2008 - Received I-765 card ordered email notification.

That is good advice to share! :thumbs:

Amy & Ola

LOVE is in your heart not to stay, but to be shared

I-130

2006-Met Online!

3/2/07-Married in Lagos!

3/12/07- Mailed I-130 to CSC

3/19/07-CSC received application

3/23/07-Received NOA-1 in mail from CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-APPROVAL-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

K-3

3/?/07-Mailed I-129F to Chicago

4/9/07-Received at Chicago

4/11/07-Recieved NOA-1 Case being transferred to CSC

4/25/07-Received NOA-1 Case at CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-Approval-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

8/29/07-Called NVC was told my petition was sent to Lagos Cons. Aug.22, 2007 got my case #

8/31/07-Received NVC Approval Letter in the Mail

9/4/07-Husband picked up packets 3 and 4-Interview Date Set for Oct.31st, 2007!

10/31/07-K3 Interview-APPROVED!!!!!!

11/06/07-Pick up Visa

11/10/07-POE Atlanta

AOS JOURNEY

12/21/07-Mailed AOS to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

12/23/07-Chicago Lockbox received AOS and EAD petition

01/04/08-NOA1 received for AOS and EAD via mail

01/29/08-Biometrics!

02/19/08-Touched! EAD Card Production Ordered

02/26/08-Email from CRIS EAD Approval Letter sent out

02/27/08-EAD Card received in mail

02/28/08-Applied for SS#

03/01/08-Received AOS Appt. Letter in Mail(No touches or emails on this case)

04/29/08-AOS Interview! Approved!

Timeline
Thanks for sharing. But I cant help thinking what happens if your POE is JFK, but you live in Cleveland!!!!

That would be so ridiculous to expect people to make that long and expensive trip back to JFK for a mistake that they made, but it wouldn't be shocking. I guess in that case you shouldn't care if the imm officer gets offended when you ask them to double check for errors, huh? :whistle:

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Another thing to be aware of is NOT receiving your record of immunizations from the POE officers. This can cause a big headache especially since your immunization records are required for the AOS process, as well as schooling, etc....

Another VJ member is having difficulty with this right now...so I thought I'd let you know....

I am posting a link to the JFK POE page:

Port of Entry at JFK

Additional numbers that I received beyond what was provided on the page:

718-553-1688

718-553-5499 -Actual number to where the officers who collect your package is located. They are there from 6AM-2PM

If anyone experienced/experiencing similar problems with their local POE...please share so that others know what they can do if thy are faced/will face a similar situation.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

I have read another poster say that he was also very far from the POE ( don't remember which one ) and after a lot of complaining they finally

fixed it without him having to go there in person.

I can't find the thread, but if you ask in the other forums someone may bump it up.

They make a typo and expect everyone to travel for hours to correct it, we make a typo and get no visa :(

Timeline
Another thing to be aware of is NOT receiving your record of immunizations from the POE officers. This can cause a big headache especially since your immunization records are required for the AOS process, as well as schooling, etc....

Another VJ member is having difficulty with this right now...so I thought I'd let you know....

Port of Entry at JFK

718-553-1688

718-553-5499 -Actual number to where the officers who collect your package is located. They are there from 6AM-2PM

If anyone experienced/experiencing similar problems with their local POE...please share so that others know what they can do if thy are faced/will face a similar situation.

I was under the impression that the immunization records our SOs were given were enough. Aren't those the ones that get transcribed to the I-693?

Are we supposed to ask for the immunization records at POE?

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Port of Entry at JFK

718-553-1688

I was under the impression that the immunization records our SOs were given were enough. Aren't those the ones that get transcribed to the I-693?

Everything is supposed to be in the brown envelope, incl. the supplemental vaccs sheet for AOS.

The SO is supposed to have a copy of it from the panel physician in his country so he can get it transcribed to the I 693 by a

CS here.

Most people do not know they can ask for a copy of the "supplemental worksheet " ( where the immunizations are recorded ) and/or most panel physicians don't understand that the form instructs them to give a copy to the SO for their own use.......just in such a case as this, when a POE officer loses or misplaces it or it never makes it in the brown envelope from the embassy to begin with.

When the SO did not get a copy he has 4 choices, get one faxed from his country where the medical was done, have a relative go and get it and send it , take a titer test or do the vaccs over again.

I did not see the post with the missing form so I don't understand exactly what happened in their case and can't comment on it.

I don't know what they consider the " immunization record " I would think they mean the supplemental worksheet DS 3025.

Edited by Omoba

Timeline

The reason I asked is because my fiance has an immunization book but not the supplement. Can this not be transcribed by the civil surgeon?

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Port of Entry at JFK

718-553-1688

As far as I know...the immunization records are placed in the sealed packet you are suppose to hand over at the POE, however they are suppose to give you your immunization records back. Kobby was given his back. Another VJ member's SO was not. I suggest that your SO requests to get his immunization records back if its not given to him.

If he does not have these records, it delays his AOS process. I am waiting to hear some more info from the other VJ member tomorrow, after she speaks to officials at the POE, and I will post what I find out.

I know someone was saying that her SO may have to retake the immunizations or contact USCIS, contact Ghana embassy... and all this other nonsense... But like I said, I'm going to get more information and let you know whats up.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Timeline
The reason I asked is because my fiance has an immunization book but not the supplement. Can this not be transcribed by the civil surgeon?

If he does not have the DS 3025 then some CS will accept the immunization record from any doctor but some CS won't and will insist on redoing the vaccs or take a titer. Varicella vac is not readily available in sub-saharan Africa, so he will need it unless he had chicken pox before. Some CS will take the verbal confirmation for that and some will insist on a titer test.

Also sometimes the DS 3025 is all the AO wants for AOS and sometimes there will be a RFE for the I-693, ie. tranfer of DS 3025 to I-693 by CS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.