dillydally

Welcome habiby to America :)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well sorry I have not been on the board lately, but el hamdulillah my hubby arrived (After missing two flights due to the airlines issuing wrong tickets, losing his luggage, etc) last Wednesday :) EL HAMDULILLAH YARAB :) and i hope everyone else waiting will be reunited with their loved ones soon inshAllah :)

but a couple of questions...

1) When do new immigrants usually receive their SSN and green card in the mail after arrival?? If I checked the box stating that we would like the SSN card to be sent upon his arrival, do we need to fill out another application again?

2) Driver's license...thankfully my dad and I will take turns teaching him in parking lots and such before taking him out to the road...but once he is a good enough driver, can he just go obtain his license after passing the drivers test on the computer...or does he have to go to a school?

3) employment...as many of us have experienced before, my hubby wants to work ASAP to prevent just sitting at home doing nothing...so when exactly can he obtain a job...does the SSN have to arrive first? can he use his visa? i know many applications ask whether or not one is a US citizen...but is it ok if he just has visa and uses that number?

Any help would be appreciated :) and thank you soooooooooooo much!! i look forward to hearing tons of great news about visas in hand and arrivals soon inshAllah! :)(F)

whatever it takes...or how my heart breaks...i will be right here waiting for you... 636.gif

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

34shw7l.jpg

Glad to hear he arrived safely ! :dance::dance::dance:

For your questions:

#1 - the green card should arrive automatically. But if you didn't receive anything within 1 month, go down to your local immigration office and inquire. The SS card *should* also arrive automatically, but if you don't receive anything within a few weeks (like happened to us) then go down to your local Social Security office and they will order it for you. (It takes a few weeks to get his info from the POE and entered into the system, so don't go before at least 2 weeks -- they likely won't be able to access his records before that.)

#2 - he doesn't have to go to driving school. But he will have to pass both the written and the road test at your local DMV to get his driver's license.

#3 - the CR-1 stamp they put on his passport at his POE is legal authorization to work immediately. However, a lot of employers are not very familiar with the subtleties of immigration law, and most will want to see his actual green card and his actual Social Security card before hiring him. Shouldn't take more than a month to get these.

Some jobs require U.S. citizenship -- he would not be eligible for those. But most jobs do not -- they just need proof of resident status and eligibility to work. Your husband should of course answer "no" to the question "Are you a U.S. citizen ?" But usually there is a follow-up question on job applications asking "Do you have legal permission to work in the U.S.?" or "Can you show proof of legal permission to work in the U.S.?" -- on this, he should answer "yes."

Hope this helps -- and again, a warm Welcome to the U.S. to your husband !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Dillydally! I missed you! We all missed you greatly. But we knew what you were up to :). So! I agree with wife of mahmoud, she is absolutely right about the answers to your questions.

ALHALDULILLAH! God is great. God is truly great. Brings a tear to my eyes when I hear a happy voice (happy typing) I am so happy you are with your husband!

PS: Can ya contact the airport for the lost luggage??

Tammy (F)

AP: Over 1 year.

Visa: Nov 2

US Entry: Nov 13, Alhamdulillah.

BelieveButterflyfortile.jpgPrayerisPower_Cover.jpghello.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

ugh lost luggage?! did they find it yet? my husband's luggage was also lost when he arrived and they never found it!!! a bad start to his time in america... i must say!

congrats on your husband's arrival anyhow and i hope to hear everything else goes more smoothly! :energy:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

What WOM said. I also wanted to second that we checked the box also.. but got squat. So we re-applied about a week and a half after he got here. SS can print out a paper stating you applied for a card and that is techincally supposed to be enough for your employer in conjunction with the visa in his passport... but like WOM said most people will freak and insist they need this other stuff.

Congrats!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congratulations Dillydally! May I ask what airlines fouled up his ticket?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Welcoem to USA! MK has answered your questions very well.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Timeline

thanks everyone (F) i truly love my second family here at VJ :)

well thank GOD we got a call yesterday stating they found his luggage (el hamdulillah)...in ITALY???!?!?!?! somehow during the transit they did not place his baggage on the plane but instead left it in Rome...ugh...but thankfully it will be shipped today to us :)

Nagi, it was Alitalia... avoid at all costs...my husband said that was the first and last time he would ever go to italy...lol...poor thing :)

thanks again for all the answers!!! you all are awesome! :) take care (F)

whatever it takes...or how my heart breaks...i will be right here waiting for you... 636.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

No doubt I will avoid that airline. Im looking into a non stop flight. Thanks, DillyDally!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

alitalia is hit or miss i think. I know Deemabrouk liked it and her husband also had no problems. On my way to Cairo I hated it but on my way back to Boston I liked it. I think it depends on their moods.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Welcome and from my signiture you can see what Hasan and I did to get his GG. SSC and DL.

A great thing that my husband found to pass time and greatly helped him was ESL classes until he got the cards to work.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Timeline

SubhanAllah i was just wondering where r u! lol we missed u here. I hope all is going great with ur hubby and soon he wd get his SS and GC.

Alitalia is the worst! when my husband came last year to propose and ask for my hand from my family ... he was here for only ten days and had his mom with him and they lost their luggage for like 7 days of the trip!!! u can imagine how they felt !!! its crossed off our list for life!! they always have problems and strikes.

lyrics.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.