Wrights

Anyone else adjusting status from F-1 ??

90 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

fallingspeaker: did your partner get a degree on a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics field (STEM) ? If so, STEM graduates are allowed to extend their original OPT for 17 more months (you have to pay the filing fee again). That's more than a year so no need to rush things if she's eligible. Plus, as long as you file the extension before the OPT expires, you can continue working for as long as 180 days while you wait for the new EAD card.

The only requirement is that the employer has to be part of the e-verify system.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I'm glad to find many other ppl are actually doing same (AOS from F1)!

I haven't read all posts for sure yet but I have found lots of helpful info here and sent out my package last week.

Now I need to wait a long time, I guess ^^;;

By the way, does anyone of you got married from F1 cuz of pregnancy? >.<

I haven't found anyone yet so far or maybe my search technique sucks lol

I am just worrying that USCIS might think its visa fraud since we got married after 3 months I came back to school.

anywayz, thank you for the all good info!

<3 Koshi

Just need to wait for him to come out now then I'll get the card!

Adjusting from F1 here too!

Hi,

If you are married before F-1 is expired but file paperwork after is that okay? Also...generally how long does the whole process take? Any help would be great.

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2009-02-10

NOA Date : 2009-02-18

RFE(s) : N/A

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-10

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2009-05-14

Approved : 2009-05-14

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2009-02-10

NOA Date : 2009-02-18

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-10

Date Card Received : 2009-04-23

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Adjusting from F1 here too!

Hi,

If you are married before F-1 is expired but file paperwork after is that okay? Also...generally how long does the whole process take? Any help would be great.

Well, tecnically you are out of status (illegal) for that period of time, but marrying a US citizen gives you pardon for this small glitch :thumbs:

And the question of the million dollars,

There is no general time frame, it can take from 4 months to 2 years depending on your case (status, country of origin, immigration officer, location, etc), mine took 6 months from beginning to end.

I'm glad to find many other ppl are actually doing same (AOS from F1)!

I haven't read all posts for sure yet but I have found lots of helpful info here and sent out my package last week.

Now I need to wait a long time, I guess ^^;;

By the way, does anyone of you got married from F1 cuz of pregnancy? >.<

I haven't found anyone yet so far or maybe my search technique sucks lol

I am just worrying that USCIS might think its visa fraud since we got married after 3 months I came back to school.

anywayz, thank you for the all good info!

well, you are pregnant, that counts to give veracity to the marriage :P

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Just filed AOS forms for my Canadian wife - too bad I didn't see this site earlier. There is a lot of good information here. She is an F1 student and we got married this past summer. We filed late Jan and got our first notice yesterday. It's good to see that it's only taking around 6 mos. total still. If anyone has any questions, let me know and I can try to help.

Timeline

My question has been asked in this and other threads but my wife and I are so worried and would really appreaciate an updated answer.

My wife arrived here December 2007 on a student visa and we married October 2008. We sent in her AOS paperwork in November and she has already had her biometrics appointment. Due to the high cost of international student tuition, we were hoping she wouldn't have to go to school this semester since she was in AOS mode. An immigration lawyer friend of ours told us that was fine. When my wife mentioned this to her academic advisor last December he told her that she was required to attend all 12 hours of school each semester until she received her green card. This week we are planning to talk to the director of the international student department. I'm planning on taking our all our NOAs, but not sure what else we should tell her. Can we try getting removed from SEVIS? What do we say if the school threatens to tell USCIS again or cancel her I-20? Other responses seemed to indicate my wife is no longer on an F-1 visa since our paperwork has been received by AOS.

Any help and advice on what to tell the school would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel and Gertie

Timeline
My question has been asked in this and other threads but my wife and I are so worried and would really appreaciate an updated answer.

My wife arrived here December 2007 on a student visa and we married October 2008. We sent in her AOS paperwork in November and she has already had her biometrics appointment. Due to the high cost of international student tuition, we were hoping she wouldn't have to go to school this semester since she was in AOS mode. An immigration lawyer friend of ours told us that was fine. When my wife mentioned this to her academic advisor last December he told her that she was required to attend all 12 hours of school each semester until she received her green card. This week we are planning to talk to the director of the international student department. I'm planning on taking our all our NOAs, but not sure what else we should tell her. Can we try getting removed from SEVIS? What do we say if the school threatens to tell USCIS again or cancel her I-20? Other responses seemed to indicate my wife is no longer on an F-1 visa since our paperwork has been received by AOS.

Thanks,

Daniel and Gertie

I was wondering same thing but some ppl say, keep F1 status, some ppl say no need to. So I checked with my international student advisor and she said once I received the NOA for AOS from USCIS, they will remove my F1 status. Did you guys ask her school's internatinal student department by now? I happen to receive my NOA today so I'm going to the internatinal student office now to change my status. Hopefully your school will do same to you too. Gl.

Edited by Ryoka

<3 Koshi

Timeline

Thanks,

Daniel and Gertie

I was wondering same thing but some ppl say, keep F1 status, some ppl say no need to. So I checked with my international student advisor and she said once I received the NOA for AOS from USCIS, they will remove my F1 status. Did you guys ask her school's internatinal student department by now? I happen to receive my NOA today so I'm going to the internatinal student office now to change my status. Hopefully your school will do same to you too. Gl.

My wife just met with her advisor who told her that she is still an F-1 visa and that she broke her status with the school. They told her that she will have problems becoming a citizen and getting work now because they listed her as breaking her visa in the database. They only wanted to meet with her to tell her this and added that it was too late to register for classes. The advisor said that she's still an F-1 visa holder until she gets her green card and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The advisor didn't care that she had received an NOA from the USCIA. As you can imagine, my wife is quite upset about this. Can someone please advise?

Daniel

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

When you are waiting for your AOS to be approved, you are technically F-1 pending AOS.

You are basically in a limbo status...Most schools will recommend that you keep your F-1 status by attending your classes so that if your AOS isn't approved, you can still have your F-1 status to fall back on.

However, this logic is flawed because by doing the AOS you simply proved intent. F-1 is a non-immigrant visa, not dual. So I doubt you can go back and forth so easily.

Keep in mind that overstays are forgiven when AOS based on a marriage to a USC. I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I was doing OPT and when I told my advisor that I applied for AOS, she told me that there was no problem and wished me good luck. That was the end of it...

So far, I have never seen issues (on this forum)with people not going to classes while adjusting from an F-1 visa. However, keep in mind that I am not a lawyer and etc...

Hopefully, somebody else may chime in.

Edited by Lili

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I came here in 2006 as H4 and became F1 student on 2007. Married my LPR husband 0n 2007, then he filed I-130 on 2008.

Currently, his naturalization is on process. We are hoping to upgrade the I-130 when he had his oath taking and file the I-485,I-765,I-131, then withdraw my F1 status in school after I receive the AOS NOA.

Does anyone here on the same situation?

How long do you think it will take to get the I-130 approval and the AOS NOA?

Thank you very much for your time ^_^

Married 2007, Husband became USC 06/2009,

I became a LPR 11/2009

IR-2 for USC's stepdaughter (my daughter) TIMELINE :

03/22/10 - Sent I-130 to Chicago, IL

03/23/10 - Received & Signed by R Mercado

03/31/10 - NOA1 Date

04/02/10 - Check cashed

04/05/10 - Received NOA1

05/03/10 - Touched

05/04/10 - Touched

05/05/10 - Touched/Received Approval Message (email&text) 44 days!!!

05/06/10 - Touched/Status says Approval Notice Sent on 05/05/10

05/07/10 - Case # Assigned

05/10/10 - Received NOA2

05/12/10 - DS3032/AOS Fee Bill Received (email)

05/12/10 - Sent DS3032 via email & Paid AOS Fee Bill

05/16/10 - AOS Fee Bill Payment Status is PAID

05/17/10 - DS3032 Accepted/DS230 Fee Bill Received/Sent AOS Packet

06/09/10 - Checklist Cover Letter Received by email (to pay&send DS230, & RFE for AOS)

06/23/10 - Sent RFE for AOS

06/30/10 - NVC Received RFE Response as per AVR

07/02/10 - Paid IV fee bill

07/13/10 - Sent DS230

07/14/10 - Packet received as per USPS

08/12/10 - AOS Accepted

08/17/10 - Sign in fail

08/18/10 - Called NVC, operator told me that our case will be sent to USEM

08/23/10 - Case received at USEM

08/24/10 - USEM gave Interview Date : September 17 @ 7:15am

09/17/10 - APPROVED

10/14/10 - POE at WAS, USA

N-400 for Me

01/09/13 - Sent to Dallas Lockbox (Lewisville, TX)

01/15/13 - Check Cashed and NOA date

01/28/13 - Biometrics Appointment (DONE)

01/30/13 - Email received "In line for Interview Scheduling"

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You guys/gals are the best! I shall keep my fingers crossed that OPT is approved. I'm technically still enrolled at the University as I've finished my coursework but am working on my dissertation. This might help as it is different than having completely finished the entire program (as far as OPT goes).

I have received the NOA for the I-130 today and they cashed the check. So now the question is: do I send the I-485 in with the NOA and the I-131 or would that be pushing my luck even further ;) The real priority is working this fall, but being able to travel home to Canada for an upcoming family wedding would be nice. If the OPT is denied, then I can later send in an EAD application based on the marriage rather than my current F1 status.

I'm starting to get a headache!

Tks,

A.

Send in the i485 and apply for Advanced Parole before you do anything like leave the US. Part of the F1 agreement is that you remain a non-immigrant and return to your country. By filing the I-130 you're taking steps that break that agreement so once you leave it's likely they won't let you back in. Which is why you need to file for AP, that lets you travel.

FYI quick update... I waited for the OPT to be approved, and started working based on that. I then phoned and was given a choice - either wait for the I-130 to be processed, or withdraw the I-130, then resubmit the entire package correctly. I opted to withdraw the I-130 and resubmit. From the resubmission date, I had my EAD and AP before the OPT expired (3 months from resubmission), interview at month 4 from resubmission, and a week later, the residency card is on its way. Much thanks for all the advice and support!

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline
I adjusted status last year so if someone has a question feel free to pm me. Silke

I entered the U.S on anf F1 visa in Dec.05, my visa expired in Dec 07, but I was advised that my F1 status was not jeopardized by this, as long as I stayed in school as a fulltime student. My I-20 is scheduled to expired in less than 60 days, so I have roughly 2 weeks to file for an extension of stay (since the window for this is 45 days). However, my fiance and I are due to get married on March 2nd, in a week's time. I'm not sure what exactly to file, should I file extension of stay or PR? Furthermore, he is planning to join the military very soon, and is not sure where he will be conducting training. After having reviewed the thread about F1 changing status, I noted a span of 3 to 12 months' processing time for this change to take place.

So basically, I'm wondering 1)if this can still take place with my spouse away, since I'm not willing to travel with him until after I have finished my studies 2)Whether I should file for an extension of stay before applying for PR 3)Is there a way to get our case expedited due to the circumstances 4)any other info you may have regarding my situation

thanks

Timeline

I believe you do. I cannot tell your situation just from your post, but yes you need to see certified physician to fill out the I-693.

<3 Koshi

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi all,

I am F1 and got married. I sent all package and USCIS cashed my checks on 3/5. Just find out that I have A# on OPT card, but I didn't fill it to the forms. Also I included auto insurance with the package . However, on auto insurance paper, my sister name is there besides us.

Will those cause problems? Thank you a lot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.