ose_n_me

The violence is out of control!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I just got done talking to my hubby, and he just told me a horrific thing that happened. His sister was at the hospital awaiting some results for medical tests she had done...and suddening dozens of people came running in the door screaming...many of them were shot and bleeding profusely. One had part of his intestines hanging out, and a mother nursing her baby had been shot in the breast! Apparently robbers were chasing a man down who was thought to have a large sum of money on him...When he wouldnt stop they just started shooting randomly into the screaming bystanders. His sister got home in complete hysterics and in shock, barely able to tell the story. She said she had never seen anything like that in her life! Guns never used to be easily attainable in Naija, but my husband says now every day there is shootings and robberies.The desperation has escalated into extreme violence. He fears even having to leave his house. I am so upset about this. Thank God he's getting out of there soon, but he has to leave behind the family and it makes me so sad. He's the oldest...the youngest is only 11yrs old! Can't imagine the sadness he gonna feel leaving in a few weeks. I pray God takes care of them and keep them safe from harm.

Sorry to bring the tone down...but please everyone tell their SO's to be careful and smart about sharing they are leaving with people they dont know or trust. This is just another sad reality of the life they living now. And its happening everywhere, as with the story Omoba posted earlier.

May God bless all of us and give us strength to get thru this time with the angels watching over us. Amen

DSCN0183-1.jpg

Wow! The week before my husband left he didn't stay at his house, but at a friend's place instead. He said the word got around the area quickly that he was leaving for America and people began asking him about it. He wanted to go to his hometown a week before his departure, but his family insisted that he not arrive in his town until the morning of his flight. Most everyone wanted his telephone number here in America and email address (money requests came in as soon as he landed). :angry:

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It happens everywhere. I hate that the world is such a scary place.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

reading this, i thought it was detroit. :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

my friend lived in kano nigeria for 20 years and she said this kind of stuff happens all the time in lagos. her brother in law was shot in the hand there along time ago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray that his (your) family is kept safe from harm once he leaves to be with you in America. I was in Lagos just last June and witnessed a shoot-out just out of the clear blue. We were driving behind a black SUV and then all of a sudden it stopped in the middle of a Lagos street, 6 policmens all dressed in black with rifles jumped out and ran into a compound. Then there were machine-gun type shots being fired and people were running down the street screaming. We were staying at a Bible Guest House at the time, which was heavily guarded, and the guards would not even open the gates to let us in while the shooting was taking place all around us. we just had to pull over and lay on the floor of our SUV and pray that no gun shots would come our way. Minutes later, the guards decided to open the gates to let us in, with no apologies whatsoever. We later heard that it was a raid on a compound, where the people were planning to kidnap expats. That all happened on the day I was to go to the airport to leave for home. I will never, ever forget the fear I felt that day in Lagos. I pray for Africa.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray that his (your) family is kept safe from harm once he leaves to be with you in America. I was in Lagos just last June and witnessed a shoot-out just out of the clear blue. We were driving behind a black SUV and then all of a sudden it stopped in the middle of a Lagos street, 6 policmens all dressed in black with rifles jumped out and ran into a compound. Then there were machine-gun type shots being fired and people were running down the street screaming. We were staying at a Bible Guest House at the time, which was heavily guarded, and the guards would not even open the gates to let us in while the shooting was taking place all around us. we just had to pull over and lay on the floor of our SUV and pray that no gun shots would come our way. Minutes later, the guards decided to open the gates to let us in, with no apologies whatsoever. We later heard that it was a raid on a compound, where the people were planning to kidnap expats. That all happened on the day I was to go to the airport to leave for home. I will never, ever forget the fear I felt that day in Lagos. I pray for Africa.

Wow. Glad God kept you safe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes, all I can say is "wow." Unbelievable.

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

This is why it is so common for people not to disclose that they are even in the process of trying to get a visa. My SO did not tell anyone he was going through the process, and only disclosed to two people ( a friend and a cousin) when he received his visa. He told a few more members of his family (siblings) a day before his flight to the US. Most of his family and friends discovered he was abroad once he was on the plane (because they heard from other family) or when he called from the US to let them know he was here.

People do this for all sorts of reasons, but it all boils down to safety or even superstition...getting on the plane and reaching the the US with out any problems. You would be surprised (or maybe not) to what people (family or not) would do out of jealousy.

Leaving your home country with saying little or nothing to anyone :secret: is very common among the Caribbean and Africa and maybe elsewhere (I don't know). But I too was nervous about who my SO told before coming here. Most of his family met me as well as most of his close friends, and they knew without us saying anything that I would be sending for him in the near future. My SO and I neither denied or confirmed their suspicions.

Its better to err on the side of caution :ph34r: . Cause hey, you never know!

Wow! The week before my husband left he didn't stay at his house, but at a friend's place instead. He said the word got around the area quickly that he was leaving for America and people began asking him about it. He wanted to go to his hometown a week before his departure, but his family insisted that he not arrive in his town until the morning of his flight. Most everyone wanted his telephone number here in America and email address (money requests came in as soon as he landed). :angry:
OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
This is why it is so common for people not to disclose that they are even in the process of trying to get a visa. My SO did not tell anyone he was going through the process, and only disclosed to two people ( a friend and a cousin) when he received his visa. He told a few more members of his family (siblings) a day before his flight to the US. Most of his family and friends discovered he was abroad once he was on the plane (because they heard from other family) or when he called from the US to let them know he was here.

People do this for all sorts of reasons, but it all boils down to safety or even superstition...getting on the plane and reaching the the US with out any problems. You would be surprised (or maybe not) to what people (family or not) would do out of jealousy.

Leaving your home country with saying little or nothing to anyone :secret: is very common among the Caribbean and Africa and maybe elsewhere (I don't know). But I too was nervous about who my SO told before coming here. Most of his family met me as well as most of his close friends, and they knew without us saying anything that I would be sending for him in the near future. My SO and I neither denied or confirmed their suspicions.

Its better to err on the side of caution :ph34r: . Cause hey, you never know!

You are so right! My SO's mom told us in the very beginning of this process that we should not tell anyone, for his as well as their own safety. So sad that they cannot celebrate their happiness with their family and friends. My SO's dad also said that when I come there next month, they will come to me so I will not be seen in the community where he lives, that it would be dangerous for him and them. My SO had made plans to go directly from his interview (provided he was approved hmmmmmph!) to his uncle's who lives in another town and then was going to leave directly from there to the airport. So he wouldn't have been even able to say goodbye to his family unless they were able to come to him. :angry:

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

That is so messed up! this is the world we live in, today. It's sad

You are so right! My SO's mom told us in the very beginning of this process that we should not tell anyone, for his as well as their own safety. So sad that they cannot celebrate their happiness with their family and friends. My SO's dad also said that when I come there next month, they will come to me so I will not be seen in the community where he lives, that it would be dangerous for him and them. My SO had made plans to go directly from his interview (provided he was approved hmmmmmph!) to his uncle's who lives in another town and then was going to leave directly from there to the airport. So he wouldn't have been even able to say goodbye to his family unless they were able to come to him. :angry:

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have even been warned about posting exact dates of him leaving or me going there in this place. I have been told "there are eyes everywhere " It is sort of scary to think of how desparate people are. I helped moderate a Yahoo group until I found out the owner shares her passwords with her scammer now "boyfriend" and I became worried about not knowing if I was talking to her or him. Bad people seem to be every where. I know Joseph hasn't told any one other than family and one friend already in the states that he is coming here. It seems sad to have to hide such a happy event.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.