Point of Entry at O'Hare, Chicago

41 posts in this topic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm sorry it was so bad, but hey it'll get...funnier every day from now on, right? Sure :dance: Just don't accidentally do anything really illegal and get deported :devil: (This is the one I worry about).

But omg big welcome to you and babblesgirl both :) So surreal to know people have physically moved, awesome :thumbs:

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Oh God! Good thing you are HERE, put this behing you. You have your randy and you are good to go, girl.

Congratulations and have a wonderful reunion and lots of great times.

Tammy (F)

AP: Over 1 year.

Visa: Nov 2

US Entry: Nov 13, Alhamdulillah.

BelieveButterflyfortile.jpgPrayerisPower_Cover.jpghello.gif

I'm sorry you had to endure that. It really would be awful after a long journey.

Just for the edification of those reading, though, the officer was completely within his realm of responsibility. I know it doesn't seem fair, but that's why we ask for Port of Entry accounts on VJ.

The visa in your passport doesn't guarantee you admission to the US. It's up to the CBP officials to let you in. They are supposed to inspect the contents of the packet. Since I have been a member here, there was one instance where the visa holder was not admitted due to past convictions showing on his police report (the report is part of the record in the envelope) that the consulate had felt did not require a waiver. The officer felt the consulate was in error and turned the gentleman home. At the end of the day, the gentleman did enter the US on his K1, but it had a 601 waiver attached to it.

There was another turnback wherein the gentleman entering the country referred to his fiance as his 'wife'. As far as I know, he still remains in his home country.

Ouch - I never realised this. That's pretty scary...

Yep, I move fast when the system lets me :P Thanks very much, I'm very happy to be here :D

Anyway, I only popped in to tell everyone I arrived safely but seeing Maggie's experience I thought I'd add a post about my own experience. But I'm rather busy (as I'm sure you'll all understand) and I'll add my POE experience in the right place later on :D

Welcome babbles!! I thought about you all yesterday - especially when I was reading your posts you made in the wee hours!!!! I suffered from depression about six years ago as well - I've declared it on my medical form because it really isn't an issue for me anymore but it is a little concerning and I am prepared to be grilled over it to make sure I am not some kind of suicidal wreck :unsure:

*hugs* Glad to see you made it... I really hope LAX isn't so scary!!! It'll prolly be worse knowing my luck but at least I will have Jeremy with me :) We'll have to get together sometime when I am out there - do you have a wedding date yet?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm really glad that people post their experiences... I had no idea that this level of interrogation could be considered normal and just assumed that the guy had had a bad day and was being mean - questioning someone about their cancer treatment just seemed a bit sick to me, so apologies if anyone thought I was rough on the guy for doing his job.

When I hopefully get to that stage I'm going to have to make sure I have all the required information in my head (I have a terrible memory - particularly for names and dates). After everything we go through it's terrifying to think you could be turned away because you don't satisfy an officer due to tiredness or a slip of the tongue... or because of a paperwork issue that's not even your fault.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm really glad that people post their experiences... I had no idea that this level of interrogation could be considered normal and just assumed that the guy had had a bad day and was being mean - questioning someone about their cancer treatment just seemed a bit sick to me, so apologies if anyone thought I was rough on the guy for doing his job.

When I hopefully get to that stage I'm going to have to make sure I have all the required information in my head (I have a terrible memory - particularly for names and dates). After everything we go through it's terrifying to think you could be turned away because you don't satisfy an officer due to tiredness or a slip of the tongue... or because of a paperwork issue that's not even your fault.

Well, I'm not sure what happened to mustang-sally or babblesgirl could be considered 'normal'. But the officers are permitted to quiz the entrant; they are the keepers of the gate and are permitted to turn anyone back. That was the only point of my post.

IMO, for there to have been two such incidents in the same airport on the same day says to me there was a shake-up in ORD's CBP offices. Maybe they have a new CO or something. Or maybe a 'bad' entry had just come back to haunt them.

I didn't mean to scare anybody. My only intent was to make you aware that your visa isn't your final hurdle, so to speak. You still have one more, and that is your entry. The same rules apply with it as did the interview - just be honest and be yourself.

My husband didn't get grilled when he entered. Instead he got a dipstick. The guy didn't give my husband an I94 (and I was too dense at the time to realize we would need that document later on).

So just relax, be yourself, be honest, and be vigilant!

Edited by rebeccajo

Well, I'm not sure what happened to mustang-sally or babblesgirl could be considered 'normal'. But the officers are permitted to quiz the entrant; they are the keepers of the gate and are permitted to turn anyone back. That was the only point of my post.

IMO, for there to have been two such incidents in the same airport on the same day says to me there was a shake-up in ORD's CBP offices. Maybe they have a new CO or something. Or maybe a 'bad' entry had just come back to haunt them.

I didn't mean to scare anybody. My only intent was to make you aware that your visa isn't your final hurdle, so to speak. You still have one more, and that is your entry. The same rules apply with it as did the interview - just be honest and be yourself.

My husband didn't get grilled when he entered. Instead he got a dipstick. The guy didn't give my husband an I94 (and I was too dense at the time to realize we would need that document later on).

So just relex, be yourself, be honest, and be vigilant!

Great advice!!!!! :thumbs:

wow that sucks! but glad you made it...

oh well,my forth of entry too was chicago...i met one filipina at Japan airport while waiting for my flight to USA..she is on K1,on the plane i let her sit beside me coz i dont have seat mate...on the immigration,she was falling on line next to me,i heard the IO said to his co Io,"another mail order bride",she refered to my new friend coz she is handling the xray envelop (mine i put it on my luggage)...thats weird,that IO is TSISMOSO! she made pass the IO fast,not much questions asked to her....infact i waited for her for only 2 minutes and we proceed to get our luggage for our next flight.

but i was left behind her coz i need to go to other IO for immigrant visas.

oh by the way,WELCOME to USA!

Nov. 23, 2009 mailed the I-751- Lifting of Conditions

Nov. 30,2009 USCIS sent it back to me coz i sent it 1 day earlier

Dec. 05, 2009 mail it again

Dec. 15, 2009 NOA1 recieved - GC 1 year extension

Dec. 24, 2009 recieved Biometrics Appointment

Jan. 08, 2010 Biometrics

Jan. 27, 2010 Approved...my card will be here within 60days

Feb. 01, 2010 Recieved 10 yrs. GC in the mail

March 17, 2008 papers for son sent to chicago

March 19, 2008 chicago recieved the papers

March 27,2008 NOA1

June 03,2008 NOA2 Petition Approved

July 19, 2008 AOS fee bill send to me...with MNL case number.

Aug. 14 2008 notice for visa payment

Aug. 16, 2008 I-864 download instructions

Sept 4, 2008 DS-230 instruction recieved

Sept. 29, 2008 NVC asking for missing documents for my son

Oct.18,2008 mail the letter of consent from the father

Oct 20, 2008 NVC recieved the letter of consent

Nov. 4,2008 recieved letter from NVC with the date of interview

Dec.09,2008 Medical at St. Lukes

Dec 22,2008 Interview for my son at Manila embassy

Jan.7,2009 Submit the proof of relationship

Feb. 02, 2009 going home to Phils

Feb.20,2009 Fly to USA...Mnl-Detroit

Sept.1 2009 Embassy sent a re medical form (almost 9 months waiting)

Nov. 9, 2009 Son re medical at St. Lukes...passed!

Dec. 08, 2009 VISA issued...thanks God!

April 25, 2010 son flying to USA---nxt journey,CITIZENSHIP!

That's so wild. It was Chas' POE too and they barely asked him anything. I think it was how did we meet and did he know we had 90 days to get married (to which he said yeah, but we're not even waiting 3 days, LOL).

Guess it depends on which officer you get!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Welcome babbles!! I thought about you all yesterday - especially when I was reading your posts you made in the wee hours!!!! I suffered from depression about six years ago as well - I've declared it on my medical form because it really isn't an issue for me anymore but it is a little concerning and I am prepared to be grilled over it to make sure I am not some kind of suicidal wreck :unsure:

*hugs* Glad to see you made it... I really hope LAX isn't so scary!!! It'll prolly be worse knowing my luck but at least I will have Jeremy with me :) We'll have to get together sometime when I am out there - do you have a wedding date yet?

Hey there! We'll definitely meet up when you get out here.

Re: The medical. Just ensure you get a letter from your GP stating when the depression occured, what medication/counselling you received (if any) and confirmation that you are no longer receiving treatment. I didn't think that a period of depression four years ago would be an issue either, particularly as there was no issues regarding self-harm etc. but my problem was that my medical records were not available to my current GP (since they had been in transit from my previous doctors for WEEKS). So, whilst she said she had met me and declared that in her opinion I was not showing any sign of depression she had no hard evidence to back it up. Fortunately, my records miraculously appeared the morning I left for London and she was able to state by telephone to Knightsbridge Doctors that this really was not an issue for me anymore.

Certainly, there is no need to worry about this. The doctor told me it would not be a reason for denial. They just need to know it's in the past.

I think this is good advice Rebecca. I wasn't expecting what I experienced at all and would have been less nervous at the time had I known it might happen. To be honest, after it was over I really didn't care anymore. I think Maggie experienced a much worse deal than me and I can understand her being upset. Best to be prepared for it really - even though it may not happen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think this is good advice Rebecca. I wasn't expecting what I experienced at all and would have been less nervous at the time had I known it might happen. To be honest, after it was over I really didn't care anymore. I think Maggie experienced a much worse deal than me and I can understand her being upset. Best to be prepared for it really - even though it may not happen.

Mmm I agree, it's much better to know that it might happen in advance so you can feel mentally and emotionally prepared. That's why us newbies are so grateful that people who've been through all this already hang around here to give us the benefit of your experiences and share anything you've picked up in your time on the boards too.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

on the immigration,she was falling on line next to me,i heard the IO said to his co Io,"another mail order bride",she refered to my new friend coz she is handling the xray envelop (mine i put it on my luggage)

:o :o :o

I can't believe they would say that - it is disgusting. I mean people can have their opinions sure, but they shouldn't blurt them out in such an offensive way... I would have had something to say about that if I had heard it... :angry:

Re: The medical. Just ensure you get a letter from your GP stating when the depression occured, what medication/counselling you received (if any) and confirmation that you are no longer receiving treatment. I didn't think that a period of depression four years ago would be an issue either, particularly as there was no issues regarding self-harm etc. but my problem was that my medical records were not available to my current GP (since they had been in transit from my previous doctors for WEEKS). So, whilst she said she had met me and declared that in her opinion I was not showing any sign of depression she had no hard evidence to back it up. Fortunately, my records miraculously appeared the morning I left for London and she was able to state by telephone to Knightsbridge Doctors that this really was not an issue for me anymore.

Certainly, there is no need to worry about this. The doctor told me it would not be a reason for denial. They just need to know it's in the past.

Maybe a stupid question but would you recommend that I get this information from my doctor before the medical so I can take it on the day? Or is it another one of those AOS things...? Or no... that was just the vacs wasn't it..? Grrr

Rebecca - I wish it did all stop at POE... but then we get AOS as well!! Yippee!!! Tbh I can't wait for AOS - it seems so much simpler and we'll be together as well...

Of course now I have prolly tempted fate and will have a nightmare of AOS!!!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: Other Timeline
Rebecca - I wish it did all stop at POE... but then we get AOS as well!! Yippee!!! Tbh I can't wait for AOS - it seems so much simpler and we'll be together as well...

Oh I hope your AOS isn't like ours - 17 months! Ugh...

And you're right. There's AOS, LOC, and Natz if you like. The VisaJourney is only part of the ImmigrationJourney.

Being together. For Good. It's fabulous. But it's not like 'regular' couples. There's a lot of acclimating and adjusting; cultural differences and barriors; the curiosities and prejudices of the locals - all this in addition to the normal adjustments of marriage. And paperwork.

Life as an international couple is a very sweet yet painful journey - I wouldn't have my life any other way.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Life as an international couple is a very sweet yet painful journey - I wouldn't have my life any other way.

:thumbs:

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Oh I hope your AOS isn't like ours - 17 months! Ugh...

And you're right. There's AOS, LOC, and Natz if you like. The VisaJourney is only part of the ImmigrationJourney.

Being together. For Good. It's fabulous. But it's not like 'regular' couples. There's a lot of acclimating and adjusting; cultural differences and barriors; the curiosities and prejudices of the locals - all this in addition to the normal adjustments of marriage. And paperwork.

Definitely - I still maintain that our relationship wouldn't be half as good as it is without all the hardship and heartache :lol: It's really been the making of us and bizarre as it sounds I am glad I have had to wait longer than normal and I am glad that we have had to work so hard to be together - it has really taught us the value of our relationship :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.