mustang-sally

Point of Entry at O'Hare, Chicago

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just thought I would let you all know about my experiences at POE at Chicago O’Hare airport.

I joined the immigration line holding my passport with the K1 visa and my MBE, thinking that it will be easy, after all I have been approved for the visa. I was expecting a few questions and then I could be on my way to meet Randy who was waiting to take me home, how wrong I was.

I approached the IO and handed him my passport and MBE. He took fingerprints and my photo, all ok so far. Then the questions began.

Why are you here? -- To marry my fiancé and live in the USA

When are you getting married?---- April 22nd

Have you met your fiancé before? ----- (hellooo, I wouldn’t have a K1 if I hadn’t) Yes

At that point he opened the MBE and then the interrogation began. He asked me Randys DOB, how many children he had, had he been married before, what’s his ex wife’s name, have I met her, do I want to meet her (#######?), what car does he drive (huh? What’s that to do with a K1), how many bags had I brought with me, on and on he went, many of the questions totally irrelevant. He had me stood there about 30 minutes while he fired question after question at me, he went through the MBE contents one page at a time, reading every line. He never tripped me up once, I knew the answers to everything he asked and answered politely even though inside I wanted to give him a mouthful, I was so tired.

Then it came to my medical, he noted that I had had breast cancer, I told him I was in remission. He then told me that one of his supervisors had breast cancer and he had studied cancer for part of his BA in university, he asked what treatment I had, what grade the cancer was, etc, etc.

In all he had me stood there about 40 minutes before he stamped my passport and let me go. I felt sorry for the people behind me, they were kept waiting so long while I stood there.

I was exhausted by the time I picked my bags up and just fell into Randys arms sobbing when I got to the doors.

Not an experience I want to go through again.

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Well, welcome to USA and glad you got here safely. Sorry to hear that you had to go through all those questions.

At least your finally here and all of that is behind you. :D

Have a Wonderful Day and Life together!!!!

Aisha

I-130 Journey

06/06/2007 I-130 sent

06/22/2007 I-130 NOA1

02/20/2008 I-130 NOA2 (259 days)

05/20/2008 Case complete @ NVC

Interview Time

07/31/2008 INTERVIEW @8am --------AP

08/04/2008 Our file reached Washingtown for AP ( called DOS)

09/10/2008 US Embassy called for his Passport ( On AP 37 days)

09/11/2008 Submitted passport to AMEX

09/18/2008 Picked up passport w/visa!!!!!!

POE--Washington 12-11-2008

Qasim is Home!!!!!-12-12-2008

Petition to remove conditions

Vermont Service Center

Date Filed : 11/23/2010

NOA Date : 12/06/2010

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 01/12/2011

Interview Date :

Approval / Denial Date :

Approved :

Got I551 Stamp :

Green Card Received :

Filing N-400

I'm sorry you had to go through all that, completely unnecessary...you held up well, better than I would have!!!

Best wishes to you and Randy!!!

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wow... what a poor excuse for a human being to interrogate you in that fashion!

Big hugs and well done for keeping your cool in such a situation!!!

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Oh Maggie - you did so well *hugs* At least it is over now and you can be together in peace :) Sounds like the IO was a clueless SOB who wanted to appear more informed than he really was.

Think of it this way - you got through, you made it and now you don't have to worry about it again :D

lastly - don't forget we all want to see wedding piccies :D :D :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm sorry you had to endure that. It really would be awful after a long journey.

Just for the edification of those reading, though, the officer was completely within his realm of responsibility. I know it doesn't seem fair, but that's why we ask for Port of Entry accounts on VJ.

The visa in your passport doesn't guarantee you admission to the US. It's up to the CBP officials to let you in. They are supposed to inspect the contents of the packet. Since I have been a member here, there was one instance where the visa holder was not admitted due to past convictions showing on his police report (the report is part of the record in the envelope) that the consulate had felt did not require a waiver. The officer felt the consulate was in error and turned the gentleman home. At the end of the day, the gentleman did enter the US on his K1, but it had a 601 waiver attached to it.

There was another turnback wherein the gentleman entering the country referred to his fiance as his 'wife'. As far as I know, he still remains in his home country.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Im very sorry they were so hard on u when u entered into immigration.......but if it makes u feel any better......our family went thru that for three hours after 9-11......we had been living outside of the usa and when we returned they had all of us even my baby sister that was two.......one of my other younger sisters was sick she had the flue or something anyway when she threw up they even checked to make sure that my mom was not using her to transport drugs .........that was a very difficult day we still sometimes get hassled coming into the usa and we are citizens.............

but at least ur here now and starting ur new life big big congratulations .......... :dance:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

If it's any consolation Maggie I had a similar experience yesterday going through O'Hare- although not anywhere near as bad as yours admittedly. I wonder if they've had a brief recently to check through K1 visa packets super carefully.

I had rushed down to immigration because I had a connecting flight to make. Fortunately there were few in the queue by the time I got there and all in all immigration took about 20 minutes.

I handed over my passport and MBE. The IO opened the packet and stamped the first few documents. Then she began to flick through the I-129F sections and read just about every document, including personal letters between J and I. She asked me questions about how we had met, when we were getting married etc. and made some comments about how 'nice' the plans seemed. She was pleasant throughout although her facial expression was very serious at times.

As she was scrutinising the info, reading some sections in fine detail, it dawned on me that there was a possibility I could be refused entry and I started to worry. She read and re read the medical report and accompanying evidence (letters from my GP about prior illness) and lingered on those notes for what seemed like forever. It made me feel very uncomfortable to have someone else see all this personal info about me and I started to feel upset because I had already gone through some uncertainty over my medical (due to a period of depression a few years back) and I really started to feel concerned about it again.

Eventually she said 'good', I breathed a sigh of relief and asked me to do fingerprints etc. then said 'Congratulations, good luck with your wedding plans and welcome to America'.

I really wasn't expecting the scrutiny of the packet given that USCIS, medical officials and the embassy had already approved the petition. Fortunately, I didn't get interrogated in the way you described but there was definitely a sense that I had to satisfy her before I would be granted permission to enter.

Sorry if this worries anyone. In hindsight there probably was no issue with me getting through, but for a moment there I felt more nervous than I did at the embassy interview. They have to ensure the packet belongs to the person carrying it I suppose.

Sorry to hear that the guy kept you for 40 minutes. I think it was roughly 15 minutes for me. I think it's just the feeling you get that this is yet another hoop to jump through. I hadn't really expected this after the embassy interview and medical were approved.

We both made it though!! Congratulations and best of luck for the future *hugs* :luv:

Timeline
I'm sorry you had to endure that. It really would be awful after a long journey.

Just for the edification of those reading, though, the officer was completely within his realm of responsibility. I know it doesn't seem fair, but that's why we ask for Port of Entry accounts on VJ.

The visa in your passport doesn't guarantee you admission to the US. It's up to the CBP officials to let you in. They are supposed to inspect the contents of the packet. Since I have been a member here, there was one instance where the visa holder was not admitted due to past convictions showing on his police report (the report is part of the record in the envelope) that the consulate had felt did not require a waiver. The officer felt the consulate was in error and turned the gentleman home. At the end of the day, the gentleman did enter the US on his K1, but it had a 601 waiver attached to it.

There was another turnback wherein the gentleman entering the country referred to his fiance as his 'wife'. As far as I know, he still remains in his home country.

Well that explains it then. I was lucky because she was really pleasant about it and didn't keep me too long but the medical thing really did make me feel uncomfortable. I read a few Chicago POE posts before leaving but hadn't seen anything that described things the way I experienced them.

Timeline
Babblesgirl -

I didn't realize you were traveling yesterday! Welcome!

Yep, I move fast when the system lets me :P Thanks very much, I'm very happy to be here :D

Anyway, I only popped in to tell everyone I arrived safely but seeing Maggie's experience I thought I'd add a post about my own experience. But I'm rather busy (as I'm sure you'll all understand) and I'll add my POE experience in the right place later on :D

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, I'd say you are right that they (ORD) have had a shake-up on K1 procedures.

When hubby entered, he didn't get an I94. Long story - another time. Long story short, though, we ended up 3 days later in Pittsburgh to get a replacement. The commanding CBP officer handled it, and in doing so he did a sort of 'training' session with the other two officers on duty. He was explaining a K1 entry to them.

One would think they would be versed in this? But it's also fair to say that officers admit aliens everyday with all types of visas, and they admit many who are traveling on the VWP. So, much training is probably 'hands on' or - at least - pointed out to officers when the situation arises.

Welcome to the USA Mustang-Sally and Babblesgirl........ Sorry to hear of your POE experiences, but at least we know the IO's are trying to do their jobs, even though they could be a little more humane in their process............

If it's any consolation I got pretty grilled when I entered Philly on a K1 4 years ago. But then again I have never had an easy time going through Philly until I got a GC, and now they are nice as pie.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Wow... what a poor excuse for a human being to interrogate you in that fashion!

To be fair to the IO, he was just doing his job. I don't think we should judge him because of that.

I got interrogated for 20 mins at Chicago a few years back, going thro on VWP, long before applying for K1. Its tough, If you've nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

Anyhow, Thanks for the POE reports. Wish you both the best of start in the USA.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.