KJC

Best way to transfer savings to America?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

By savings, I mean like... £4000.

If there is no easy/cheap way of doing it I guess I could take it on my carry-on luggage with me.

K1

11/06/2007 - I-129F sent to Nebraska

29/06/2007 - NOA1 letter received

21/12/2007 - NOA2 issued

31/12/2007 - NOA2 hard copy

28/01/2008 - Packet 3 received

11/02/2008 - Packet 3 forms & checklist returned to Embassy

13/02/2008 - Medical

28/02/2008 - Packet 4 received

20/03/2008 - Interview @ 10am - APPROVED

28/03/2008 - Visa in hand

14/04/2008 - POE Detroit (DTW)

22/05/2008 - Married

AOS

06/06/2008 - AOS & EAD filed

13/06/2008 - NOA1 letter received

14/07/2008 - Biometrics appointment

14/08/2008 - EAD production ordered

23/08/2008 - EAD card received

14/01/2009 - Green card producation ordered (No interview required)

22/01/2009 - Green card recieved

Filed: Timeline

Absolutely use Custom House. They give the best exchange rates, and don't charge for electronic transfers. I've used it for both large and small transfers. The staff are extremely helpful and very pleasant and professional..... even with idiot questions. 3 day transfers cost nothing.... same day transfers cost $20. You can transfer from your UK account to your US account, and vice versa. They're absolutely wonderful. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Just use one of the currency exchange kiosks an any airport...

JUST KIDDING! :)

Seriously, customhouse.com or xe.com (different websites, same company)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Would this also be okay to use when transfering amounts over 10k? Not the kind of thing we want to drag around with us in airports!

FYI - I'm American so all dates will be Month/Day/Year. (lol)

---------------------

10/19/03 - Spoke to him for the first time on mic through Yahoo! Pool.

10/26/03 - First 'I Love You' (The date we consider to be when we got together)

07/03/04 - He flew from U.K. to Alabama for a 2 week visit (Proposed)

12/26/04 - He flew again to Alabama for a 3 week visit

05/22/05 - I flew to U.K. for 1 month visit

09/2005 - He visited AL - 3 weeks(Really hard to remember some of the exact dates!

12/15/05 - I visit U.K. - 1 month

04/2006 - He Visits - 3 weeks

07/2006 - I Visit U.K. - 1 month

10/2006 - He Visits 3 weeks

12/28/2006 - I move to the U.K. (on Fiance Visa)

03/10/07 - Married

--------

12/05/07 - Form I-130 recieved by USCIS

02/23/08 - NOA recieved

02/28/08 - DS230 Part 1

02/03/08 - Sent for Police Certificate

02/05/08 - Medical in London

------------ Medical was fine!

04/17/08 - Finally sent off our Checklist and waiting for our interview date!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife converted her savings into about $15,000 worth of traveler's checks and brought them with her. Once she got here, we deposited them into my account, no problems.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

The one thing you do NOT want to do is bring any amounts in foreign currency. The banks here do not know how to handle it. But if they do, they will charge you an arm and a leg in currency exchange and service fees to cash it, so it's not worth it. And, after one year, I am still fighting to have a valid Canadian cheque reissued because my bank here entered the wrong coding and the bank in Canada rejected it. So not only do I not have my money, I was charged a service fee for a returned cheque and I cannot get them to take responsibility for it!!!!! :angry:

Oh.... you'll also want to see one of Mr Fancypants threads to see what they had to go through to cash a cheque from Ireland. Absolutely ridiculous.

iagree.gif

I use www.interchangefx.co.uk

Rates are pretty good, they can be a tad pushy though lol!

But they gave really good rates and the account is simple to set up.

Would advise setting it up before you leave the UK though since they want bills to prove your address.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

I use www.interchangefx.co.uk

Rates are pretty good, they can be a tad pushy though lol!

But they gave really good rates and the account is simple to set up.

Would advise setting it up before you leave the UK though since they want bills to prove your address.

Your post reminded me that, with Custom House, you choose the exchange rate you want to lock in at. Basically, it's like playing the stock market, because the rates fluctuate throughout each day. You can be notified when it hits a certain "buy" point or you can choose the current rate. Or you can just watch the rates go up or down and lock in when you see something you like. And, as I said, if you don't understand it, they are so friendly and understanding in walking you through it and explaining everything.

iagree.gif

I used InterchangeFX and they were good.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.