naturegirl321

US Virigin Island, loophole to the US?

11 posts in this topic

I've been told that new requirements have made it even harder for foreigners to get visas to the US, despite been married for years to US citizens.

I've heard that there's a loophole to getting into the US, anyone know if this is true? Since the US Virgin Islands are a territory to the US, when you go from there to the US, you don't have to go through immigrations. Many countries don't need visas to get to the US Virgin Islands. So can this be done? Anyone have experience with it

http://us-virgin-islands.visahq.com/requirements

744934.png

Jan 2005 Met

10 Feb 2005 Started dating

27 Apr 2005 Got engaged

24 Feb 2006 Civil marriage ceremony

Mar 2008 Planning to apply for a tourist visa

744944.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I've been told that new requirements have made it even harder for foreigners to get visas to the US, despite been married for years to US citizens.

I've heard that there's a loophole to getting into the US, anyone know if this is true? Since the US Virgin Islands are a territory to the US, when you go from there to the US, you don't have to go through immigrations. Many countries don't need visas to get to the US Virgin Islands. So can this be done? Anyone have experience with it

It says US citizens don't need a visa to visit the US Virgin Islands...not foreigners. The island that does not require a visa is the Dominican Republic and maybe there is one or two others...not sure.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It says US citizens don't need a visa to visit the US Virgin Islands...not foreigners. The island that does not require a visa is the Dominican Republic and maybe there is one or two others...not sure.

Citizens of Peru can travel to US Virgin Islands without a visa. Just select Peru from the drop-down list. However, it is unclear to me whether passengers on US arriving flights from USVI pass through customs and immigration. I believe that is the pertinent question. I expect if this loophole were ever open, it's closed now.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

According to this site, a visa is not required from any country in the world....I would have ZERO confidence in anything that this site tells you....especially when is sez to contact the US Virgin Islands embassy in your home country for further information....this embassy does not exist.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
According to this site, a visa is not required from any country in the world....I would have ZERO confidence in anything that this site tells you....especially when is sez to contact the US Virgin Islands embassy in your home country for further information....this embassy does not exist.

Good point. Only countries have Embassies abroad. USVI is a territory of the US. I do trust the Delta Airlines site though and it says the USVI has the same entry requirements as the USA.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...rt_information/

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

My hubby and I have been there in March 2007 both of us have to go trough immigration. We flight from mainland. Also we took ferry to British VI and when we came back we went trough immigration.

Maybe everything was differnt before 9/11 but now you need passport as an ID.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a complete misunderstanding of what a teritory is. Its a teritory, not a state. The rules in US Virgin Island are similar to Guam or any other US teritories.

People can get to US Virgin Island without much of a hassle but then from Virgin Island to mainland US, you'll need to go through US immigration.

I dont think there ever was a loophole as easy as this.

As posted in this thread a K1 visa holder had their Point of Entry in Guam during flight stopover. I would think the same would happen in the Virgin Islands.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1627679

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

You will thru immigration any time you enter US territory from foreign soil....its the same in Guam, VI's, Samoa, or Tumcumcari New Mexico....the very same immigration ppl. There is NO loophole. If you need a visa to enter the US, you will need one to enter the V.I's.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You will thru immigration any time you enter US territory from foreign soil....its the same in Guam, VI's, Samoa, or Tumcumcari New Mexico....the very same immigration ppl. There is NO loophole. If you need a visa to enter the US, you will need one to enter the V.I's.

New Mexico is a US state, not a US territory, and there is no US POE in Tumcumcari.

Edited by garya505

Timeline

New Mexico is a US state, not a US territory, and there is no US POE in Tumcumcari.

haha..you think I didnt know that??

If it was a POE..there would be immigration there.

Doesnt matter if you are entering a US state or PR or some territory from foreign soil...you go thru immigration.

Been to the VI twie by way of PR...I dont remember going thru immigration. Entered at PR from Santo Domingo DR....directly to immigration.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.