warwick8

How to file for 2007 tax return

18 posts in this topic

Pls help...we were planning to present just the 2005 and 2006 tax returns but we noticed a lot of the March interviewees are bringing their fiance's 2007 tax return. So the question is, Dave tried filing our 2007 tax return, he filed jointly and it got rejected because they need my SSN (which obviously i dont have yet) so am asking my fellow K3 filers, how did ur spouses file for their 2007 tax return? jointly, separately or as single? :unsure::help:

our interview is on March 6 already.....pls someone help....

do we really need to bring the 2007 ITR?

thanks so much.

Sent N400: Oct 27, 2011

NOA: Nov 1, 2011

Biometrics: Nov 16, 2011

Yellow letter date: 12/14/2011

Yellow letter received: 12/19/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Married is married... you cannot file as single... You need to choos joint or separate dependant on which is most advantageous. If you do not have a SSN (because you are ineligible, see Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN)

FWIW, fiance(e)'s do not have the same problem as they are not eligible to be put on the USC's return yet until a marriage has occured.

YMMV

thanks! Dave and I decided not to file the 2007 tax because, you're right, deadline is on April 15. He said maybe we should wait til i get there and I have a SSN before we file. So i'll just bring his 2007 W2s and 2005-2006 tax returns. That should be ok, right? :)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
thanks! Dave and I decided not to file the 2007 tax because, you're right, deadline is on April 15. He said maybe we should wait til i get there and I have a SSN before we file. So i'll just bring his 2007 W2s and 2005-2006 tax returns. That should be ok, right? :)

Good plan. You'd be really tight on time to file and get the return in hand anyway.

FYI, ultimately married people are "incorrect" to file tax returns as single but an initial filing that is amended after the spouse gets an ITIN or SSN is just fine. Ask me? I used my 2005 tax return filed as single (even though we married in December of 05) to finance my second trip to China. A few months later we filed an amended return with a W7, got a few hundred more dollars back and went on with life.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Really, we could do that? that's interesting and a wise move :) thanks so much, pushbrk...u're one of the people here in VJ who gives sound advise :thumbs: I really wish it won't be a problem if the CO asks for the 2007 tax return and I tell him we hadn't filed yet :mellow: Pls include us in your prayers :) thanks so much!

FYI, ultimately married people are "incorrect" to file tax returns as single but an initial filing that is amended after the spouse gets an ITIN or SSN is just fine. Ask me? I used my 2005 tax return filed as single (even though we married in December of 05) to finance my second trip to China. A few months later we filed an amended return with a W7, got a few hundred more dollars back and went on with life.

I've already filed electronically as single to get the bulk of my refund quicker and now I'm contemplating how to file the 1040X. I just want to make sure I have this straight -- If you file Married filing Joint, you cannot claim the $85,700 foreign income exemption with form 2555-EZ regardless of residence or physical presence, correct? That would mean one must weigh what their return would be filing "married filing separately" with the nonresident alien spouse filing a 2555-EZ and a 1040 versus filing jointly with a request to treat a nonresident alien spouse as a resident alien for tax purposes with their income converted to US dollars added into the USC's income and taxed, right?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello... my husband filed taxes jointly last january 28... i just have to send him downloaded form W7 from IRS website and the completed 1040EZ form...fill it up and sign it.. together with the copy of my notarized passport here in the Philippines... we got 2 notarized copies of passport... one from here in the Philippines and one notarized copy in the states, its just that i have to send him my original passport so he can have it notarized there... but he had a hard time notarizing it there since the owner of the passport is not physically present... if you can have your copy of your passport notarized from the US embassy in your country, that would be great... and we already have our tax refund just last week.... now thats a good thing since its an added proof to the embassy that we filed taxes jointly.. and as a married couple...

hope that helps...

"do what it takes..." by A&G

para sa karagdagang larawan at mga detalye ng aming paglalakbay...

My IMMIGRATION, POE, CFO and INTERVIEW Experience

when love is real,

it defies all reasons...

when love is true,

it ignores all pains...

when love is great,

it waits, it persists, and lingers forever...

K3 VISA

California Service Center - Texas Service Center - Manila US Embassy

August 2007 - filed I130

September 2007 - filed I129F

April 24, 2008 - interview and VISA APPROVED!

May 02, 2008 - visa in hand, had the CFO stamping done at once, bought ticket online...

May 03, 2008 - flew to US to be with stinky love...

July 22, 2008 - Sent AOS Package to CHICAGO Lockbox

July 24, 2008 - received package

July 29, 2008 - NOA for AOS and EAD

Aug 01, 2008 - Touched....

Oct 01, 2008 - Received EAD

still waiting on AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You do not have to bring the 2007 tax paperwork until after April 08 when they are due. I did file Singe/head of household, but will file and amended tax return shortly.

Pls help...we were planning to present just the 2005 and 2006 tax returns but we noticed a lot of the March interviewees are bringing their fiance's 2007 tax return. So the question is, Dave tried filing our 2007 tax return, he filed jointly and it got rejected because they need my SSN (which obviously i dont have yet) so am asking my fellow K3 filers, how did ur spouses file for their 2007 tax return? jointly, separately or as single? :unsure::help:

our interview is on March 6 already.....pls someone help....

do we really need to bring the 2007 ITR?

thanks so much.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

hello... my husband filed taxes jointly last january 28... i just have to send him downloaded form W7 from IRS website and the completed 1040EZ form...fill it up and sign it..

(snip)

Thanks for your reply. Did you have any income in the Philippines? If so, did you (or your husband) include them as your joint "worldwide income" on the 1040? Did he also request that they treat you as a resident for tax purposes? If I'm reading things right, you can't claim the $85,700 exemption when you file joint. That's the point I'm confused on. I'll probably just try calling the IRS (eek!)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bolivia
Timeline
hello... my husband filed taxes jointly last january 28... i just have to send him downloaded form W7 from IRS website and the completed 1040EZ form...fill it up and sign it.. together with the copy of my notarized passport here in the Philippines... we got 2 notarized copies of passport... one from here in the Philippines and one notarized copy in the states, its just that i have to send him my original passport so he can have it notarized there... but he had a hard time notarizing it there since the owner of the passport is not physically present... if you can have your copy of your passport notarized from the US embassy in your country, that would be great... and we already have our tax refund just last week.... now thats a good thing since its an added proof to the embassy that we filed taxes jointly.. and as a married couple...

hope that helps...

Curious about a couple things, any answer would be appreciated.

When you filed your W7:

Was your husband and your name the same (married name) on the form and is this the same as the name on your passport?

Did you provide proof of marriage? (Certified translation of marriage cert if not English)

These are my biggest concerns. I will probably file single and then file the 1040x later. My Wife is still in Bolivia and her passport has her maiden name on it. This will be her name for our K-3 Visa. In order for me to file a joint return, I would have to have her sign W7, 1040, and have another copy of marriage cert and notarized copy of passport. This is a lot of moving of mail back and forth and additional documentation which takes time.

My understanding is that we include a letter stating that we wish her to be considered “resident alien for tax purposes” along with proof of marriage documents.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

• 04-04-2006 Met on Internet
  • 09-22-2007 Married

• ----- I-130 ----------
  • 10-29-2007 Mailed
  • 04-02-2008 Approved (NOA2 received 4/11/08, no web update)

• ----- I-129F ---------
  • 01-22-2008 Mailed
  • 06-16-2008 Interview (Visa received 6-18)
  • 06-22-2008 US Entry

• ----- AOS ---------
  • 08-11-2009 Mailed I-485 Package
  • 08-13-2009 Pachage delivered Chicago lockbox
  • 08-19-2009 Check cashed by USCIS
  • 08-20-2009 NOA1 Received - USCIS
  • 08-31-2009 NOA BIO Appointment Scheduled
  • 09-16-2009 BIO Appointment
  • 11-03-2009 Interview Appointment - SUCCESS!!!
  • 11-13-2009 10 year GC arrived !!!
  • Applying for US citizenship in 3 years...!!!!!!!!

The heart can endure so very much, but every moment apart still feels like an eternity.

We will be patient and we will endure, because the love we received is in answer to our dreams.

if you do not live together you might qualify as being able to file "head of household"

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...d=96729,00.html

That's how I'm filing for 2007.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hope that helps...

Curious about a couple things, any answer would be appreciated.

When you filed your W7:

Was your husband and your name the same (married name) on the form and is this the same as the name on your passport?

Did you provide proof of marriage? (Certified translation of marriage cert if not English)

These are my biggest concerns. I will probably file single and then file the 1040x later. My Wife is still in Bolivia and her passport has her maiden name on it. This will be her name for our K-3 Visa. In order for me to file a joint return, I would have to have her sign W7, 1040, and have another copy of marriage cert and notarized copy of passport. This is a lot of moving of mail back and forth and additional documentation which takes time.

My understanding is that we include a letter stating that we wish her to be considered “resident alien for tax purposes” along with proof of marriage documents.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

oh yeah forgot that part... we have to write a declaration letter asking to be considered as resident alien for tax purposes only.. and yes my passport is in my married name reason why we didnt send any more proofs of marriage...

"do what it takes..." by A&G

para sa karagdagang larawan at mga detalye ng aming paglalakbay...

My IMMIGRATION, POE, CFO and INTERVIEW Experience

when love is real,

it defies all reasons...

when love is true,

it ignores all pains...

when love is great,

it waits, it persists, and lingers forever...

K3 VISA

California Service Center - Texas Service Center - Manila US Embassy

August 2007 - filed I130

September 2007 - filed I129F

April 24, 2008 - interview and VISA APPROVED!

May 02, 2008 - visa in hand, had the CFO stamping done at once, bought ticket online...

May 03, 2008 - flew to US to be with stinky love...

July 22, 2008 - Sent AOS Package to CHICAGO Lockbox

July 24, 2008 - received package

July 29, 2008 - NOA for AOS and EAD

Aug 01, 2008 - Touched....

Oct 01, 2008 - Received EAD

still waiting on AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bolivia
Timeline

I don't qualify for filing "Head of household" based on IRS information.

I am anticipating a fair return, even filing as single, and an additional fair amount after filing 1040x return. So, this path would be our greatest financial advantage. The only thing I loose out in is the additional refund amount anticipated in June.

• 04-04-2006 Met on Internet
  • 09-22-2007 Married

• ----- I-130 ----------
  • 10-29-2007 Mailed

• ----- I-129F ---------
  • 01-22-2008 Mailed
  • 06-16-2008 Interview (Visa received 6-18)
  • 06-22-2008 US Entry

• ----- AOS ---------
  • 08-11-2009 Mailed I-485 Package
  • 08-13-2009 Pachage delivered Chicago lockbox
  • 08-19-2009 Check cashed by USCIS
  • 08-20-2009 NOA1 Received - USCIS
  • 08-31-2009 NOA BIO Appointment Scheduled
  • 09-16-2009 BIO Appointment
  • 11-03-2009 Interview Appointment - SUCCESS!!!
  • 11-13-2009 10 year GC arrived !!!
  • Applying for US citizenship in 3 years...!!!!!!!!

The heart can endure so very much, but every moment apart still feels like an eternity.

We will be patient and we will endure, because the love we received is in answer to our dreams.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.