SpiritAlight

Moving in a month...Change of Address nightmare??

17 posts in this topic

:help:

Do I trust that on-line change of address will "stick"?

Do I forward mail and "pray"?

Hmmmmm.....

:o

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You are required by law to give your change of address form USCIS within 10 days, i believe.

Do the change of address online and do the forwarding, just in case. :thumbs:

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did one..

so far so good.. Got my NOA for transfer to CSC and Ill find out if the EAD worked anyday now.. since the card was ordered..

you do the ar-11 then it will ask if you have any pending cases and if you do, you do one by one entering the case numbers..

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Filed: Other Timeline

You also have to do the I-865 for the sponsoring spouse's address change notice.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We're moving at the weekend, and I was planning on changing my address using the online tool, and forwarding our mail for 3 months or so. Just to be safe!

Timeline

from what Ive heard the post office will not forward some mail such as USCIS..

Thats just what I have read so Im not 100%

AOS Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

That's cr@p. I will try anyway, I've just heard stories about how people inform USCIS of their change of address and then months later get a letter saying they missed their interview because somehow the interview letter was not delivered to the new address. Thanks for the info though, I'll be sure to ask at the post office about that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

that is true. The post will NOT forward mail from USCIS.

(I think it is because on the envelope of USCIS it says that return to sender)

We filed AR-11 online and also by mail. As well as I-865.

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Timeline

if you have email notifications on then you will know (most of the time) when something has been sent out and you will either get it at your new address or you will not.. just follow their online steps, you only hear about the horror stories on here but there are alot of people you have had no problems.. like me. I even moved outta state.

AOS Timeline

Thank you all for your help.

:star: :star: :star:

As far as I know about government mail being forwarded, in Canada, they would not forward to outside of the country.

Here, in the U.S., I don't know.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Perhaps I am a bit overzealous, but here is what I did:

There are two fold issues when dealing with a move. #1 having your file transferred (for pending/open cases), and changing your address.

I did the following: submitted AR-11 for him online, I-865 for me, wrote a letter to my previous local office advising them to transfer my pending file to my new location, wrote a letter to my new location advising them to request my file from my previous local office. I attached a copy of the AOS NOA to the requests. I also wrote to the local congressperson asking for assistance to ensure this is transferred. As far as mailing, I only did change of address. I should get on doing mail forwarding as well.

One great change was the ability to do the AR-11 online which takes you directly to a screen regarding open files. This is probably where the stumbling block was previously as people would submit the AR-11 and assume that's all that was needed.

Below is some information by Meauxna that helped me:

[

There are a number of things you can do to help this succeed. Getting your landlady on board is good, and you can talk to your letter carrier and let her know. SOME mail does get fwd'd by USCIS/USPS--all of our important stuff was forwarded.

Also be sure your names are inside your new mailbox.

To successfully change your mailing address, from the Dept of Overkill:

-file AR-11 as required by law. This does not change your *mailing* address, but it informs USCIS where you might have been, at one time. Just do it, it's the law.

In the past, our predecessor, the INS, required every alien in the United States to report his or her address annually, in January. This requirement was eliminated in 1980 and annual reporting is no longer required. However, if you are not a U.S. citizen, the law still requires that you report any change of address change within 10 days of the change.

How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?

AR-11 does not generally generate a NOA receipt. Send by trackable mail.

-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

-file I-865 for USC Sponsor as required by law. You *may* get a NOA for this one and it *might* change the Sponsor's mailing address. Or not.

Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address

-file Change of Address and Mail Forwarding with the USPS. Your USCIS mail *might* get forwarded to your new addy. Or returned to USCIS, you never know. Unfortunate side effect: the PO sells your new address to bulk mailers and you are now back on every junk mailing list under the sun.

Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls

http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

30 days later

-Follow up phone call to 1-800 to see if address change is captured.

-Cross fingers and keep an eye on processing times and when you expect to be contacted. Don't let it go for ages and then say 'dude, where's my case?'.©

that is true. The post will NOT forward mail from USCIS.

(I think it is because on the envelope of USCIS it says that return to sender)

We filed AR-11 online and also by mail. As well as I-865.

Supposedly this has changed. I haven't looked it up yet, but might be as easy as looking at some recent mail from USCIS to see if the notation is removed yet.

Here is the quote from the 2007 Ombudsman report:

The Ombudsman is pleased to report the agency's plans to adopt the essence of the 2006 Annual Report's recommendation (AR 2006 -- 08). For verification of green card delivery, USCIS reported in its 2006 Annual Report Response (at p. 16):

In FY 07, as we complete the transition to new postage meters, we plan to transition to new standards for mail delivery to allow mail forwarding with notification from the US Postal Service through its address service. As part of the proposed new fee structure, we further plan to move to 2-day delivery of cards with delivery confirmation. This will reduce delivery times, give customers tracking numbers so they can track mail delivery, while also providing for more secure delivery.

USCIS reported in its recent fee proposal, now final, that it was partnering with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to develop a way for USCIS "to track delivery of each document and to respond to queries from applicants regarding the status of document delivery."69 The proposed process change will apply to green cards and all USCIS secure documents (i.e., EADs and travel documents). USCIS and USPS foresee secure documents delivered via priority mail, a higher class of service than first class, with delivery confirmation.70 The Ombudsman will monitor the situation as the process is introduced.

:help:

Do I trust that on-line change of address will "stick"?

Do I forward mail and "pray"?

Hmmmmm.....

:o

Have you already filed your AOS? If not, wait until after the move and use your new address.

If you have already filed, changing the address online/or submitting the AR-11 and I-865 will not suffice. You must also correct the address with the Field Office or Service Center that is handling your pending application.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

after you file ar-11 online it asks you if you have pending cases... if you do select yes and follow from there... I changed mine and never mailed anything in.. except the 865 for my wife...

AOS Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.