sj5

Avoid the Marriage Pitfalls

20 posts in this topic

clear.giforangedot.giforangedot.gifclear.gifdmtit.gif clear.gif

Avoid the Marriage Pitfalls clear.gifclear.gif

Too often we hear the same marriage woes. Every couple, no matter how long you've been married, needs to be active in keeping their marriage interactive and fresh. Here are five "pitfalls" and how to overcome them to avoid marriage trouble and enhance your partnership.

You've got to talk - So you think you know your partner's reaction to everything? Think again. The more you assume, the more you'll drift apart. From the most mundane conversations like "What did you do during your lunch break?" to "How will we make ends meet this month" show your spouse you care, even about the little things. It's not only important to ask the questions but listen to the answers as well. Poor communication is the most common complaint among couples seeking counseling. A recent survey the Institute initiated also showed that communication issues are the most important thing people wish they had focused on before their marriage. Marriage communication is obviously a critical and often challenging dynamic in a marriage. Visit Mastering Communication and Tips for Talking for more information. Take some time - Whether you've been married for 1 year or 30 years, your partner will always appreciate a heartfelt thank you, a card out of the blue, or an unexpected phone call to say "I am thinking of you." Just because you're married doesn't mean you can't get dressed up and go on a date. Take a minute, literally, and call your significant other to set a date and time. You'd be surprised how good you'll feel doing it AND how happy they'll feel that you've called. Fight fair - Couples can fight over everything, from what to have for dinner to what you didn't do today (that was suppose to have been done weeks ago). Remember that each of us, even those who are "happily" married, can have frustrating, hectic days- that goes for CEO's of a company to the CEO of the household. No matter what the disagreement, resist bringing up the one (or few) words that will send them over the edge. Once you've gone that far you've gone too far. Take a break, cool down. Revisit the discussion when you're clear on what you want to say and open to listening to your spouse's perspective. Maintain Expectations - Many people enter marriage with preconceived expectations of what life will be like or the roles both partners will play in daily life. Sometimes these expectations aren't met and the disappointment and frustration can build into resentment. It is best to discuss your respective expectations and to voice any concerns you have about the direction of the marriage or the role each partner is playing in maintaining the household. Visit Tips for Talking for helpful advice on having productive conversations on sensitive subjects. The roller coaster - Just as you have good days and bad days, so can your marriage. There will be days, weeks and even months where you'll feel you've got the best partnership going - then your spouse lays one on you. It is true that working through hard times together can deepen the bond of your union. If you are seeking marriage help, there are marriage retreats and trained marriage counselors. For resources that provide support, visit Revitalize Your Marriage

Celebrating Special Moments.

Money troubles - Did you know that 43% of all couples fight over money issues, making it the major reason couples fight? If you and your partner handle money differently, and if this is a problem, perhaps you want to visit a financial advisor. There are also plenty of books you can read together on how to manage your money. For more helpful tips, visit Money and Marriage.http://www.equalityinmarriage.org/dmavoid.html

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I just have to say that all of those suggestions sound great and theoretically, they'd be the right thing to do, but... people don't always think rationally. We usually have too much work, not enough rest and if we get into an argument, I doubt we'd be thinking straight in the first place since if we were, we probably wouldn't be arguing! ;)

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

We started setting aside times usually weekly when we can sit down and just talk about anything on our mind. I think it's a great time to not only hash over the stuff that's gotten on our nerves, and clear the air, but also to take that time to say thank you for the things maybe we didn't say during the week and they don't have to be huge things, but by acknowleding them on both sides, I hope we can feel appreciated. By talking NOT in the heat of the moment of a disagreement, maybe we are both a bit more rational too. Of course we don't hold on to everything until we have these regular chats, it's just a good time to find out everything on each other's minds. We also make sure we don't do it during a meal, or when we can be distracted by anything. If the phone rings, we ignore it. "WE" are more important than anything else at that time. :blush:

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

sanita is a very mellow person but at times, likes to vent...usually over subjects not effecting us as a couple..hawks after her birds..cars driving to fast down our street etc..i sue to offer suggestions, etc..but now i listen as listening is a skill that allot of couples are lacking in

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
sanita is a very mellow person but at times, likes to vent...usually over subjects not effecting us as a couple..hawks after her birds..cars driving to fast down our street etc..i sue to offer suggestions, etc..but now i listen as listening is a skill that allot of couples are lacking in

listening - that's what I need to do better.

there are times when she talks to me that I come up with solutions when all she has needed to do is vent... :bonk:

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

listening - that's what I need to do better.

there are times when she talks to me that I come up with solutions when all she has needed to do is vent... :bonk:

just nod your head every now and then, that's what i do - as i continue to take over the world in age of empires or civilization...... :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

:thumbs: working on mine..both of us..

I just have to say that all of those suggestions sound great and theoretically, they'd be the right thing to do, but... people don't always think rationally. We usually have too much work, not enough rest and if we get into an argument, I doubt we'd be thinking straight in the first place since if we were, we probably wouldn't be arguing! ;)

sometimes we do lost our mind :hehe:

We started setting aside times usually weekly when we can sit down and just talk about anything on our mind. I think it's a great time to not only hash over the stuff that's gotten on our nerves, and clear the air, but also to take that time to say thank you for the things maybe we didn't say during the week and they don't have to be huge things, but by acknowleding them on both sides, I hope we can feel appreciated. By talking NOT in the heat of the moment of a disagreement, maybe we are both a bit more rational too. Of course we don't hold on to everything until we have these regular chats, it's just a good time to find out everything on each other's minds. We also make sure we don't do it during a meal, or when we can be distracted by anything. If the phone rings, we ignore it. "WE" are more important than anything else at that time. :blush:

its way to keep relatioship healthy.