BH45

MTL Review

25 posts in this topic

I know, I know - pokey in posting this but I needed time to get my head around it all.

We stayed at La Tour. The room is clean, warm and the bed is comfy (or for us anyway). Good place to stay at a reasonable price within a minute walk of the consulate. We did leave our bags there until after the interview.

We arrived at the consulate at roughly 7:40 am. We went directly in after being asked by the security guard why we were there. The 2nd security person we dealt with was pleasant. Everything went through the x-ray machine and we went through the security check. I cleared no trouble, but Kelsie seemed to require further scanning. You know, spead your legs and arms. Anyway, the security person watching the x-ray machine noticed something in my file folder. He mentioned a round dark object. Took me a minute, then I realized it was a medallion that Larry had sent me after being sober for 3 months from AA. So once he saw that, they proceeded to clear us to go downstairs to the elevator.

Once downstairs, another security guard asked for all those with letters A, B, C, and D. That happened to be us and there were 5 other people come forward as well. Up to whatever floor it is and into the room with window 9. A lovely young lady called each letter and took our appointment letter. We were then told to go to the waiting room until called. One by one we were all called back in to give our documents over to her. Once again, it was back out to the waiting room to wait to be called back in for fingerprinting. After this, back to the waiting room to be called for our interview.

At 9:10 a.m., they began to call us in for our interviews. The first lady in was there like 3 minutes and approved and on her way. The next young lady was applying to join her dad and brothers in the US. She was in for maybe 5 minutes, done and approved.

I said to Kelsie I hope we get that same interviewer. Sure enough, into room 8 we go. He swears us in. We go through the process:

Where did you meet? How long have you known each other? Where does he work? How often have you met?

He asked Kelsie what grade she was in and when she would be following me.

Then, he says "Everything is in order. I just seem to be missing the permisson from the other parent."

I says, "Excuse me, I have sole custody. He has only seen her for 10 days in the last 2 1/2 years. It doesn't make any sense."

He replied, "Give me a minute". Away he went to consult with other officers. When he came back, he says, "We all think we should have that letter. It will protect us from a possible lawsuit and you as well." :unsure:

I told him that it seemed totally useless to have sole custody if it isn't recognized. I basically said at that point it would be almost impossible if not impossible to get that letter and I may as well resign myself to remaining here. He claims to understand but continued to give me a letter indicating what is required.

I have one year to get the letter until our file will be closed. He informed me that should I get the letter all I have to do is send the letter and our passports to the office for approval.

So, here I sit. Firstly, trying to get over the shock. Secondly, I'm trying to give myself time to come to grips with this before writing to ask for that permission. I need to be sure of what to say. I don't want to write it based on emotions or anger that he can hold this kind of control over my life.

Last June, he had no issues with the move. Then in December, he decided he didn't think it was a good idea cause he wouldn't get to see his daughter. D'oh!!!!

So there you have it. My MTL review and why my case is now pending. I'm not giving up but just not sure where to head from here.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

oh wow :(

This is sad. You must feel so deflated.

Take some time to collect your thoughts, you'll get through this.

Do you think you'll be able to get something from him? I hope you will.

Sending you big hugs (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My heart is breaking for you gal...

Stay positive.. this will work itself out.. sending thoughts your way.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Oh dearest BH45,

How calm your post seemed...and i can only just imagine what you must be feeling.

Yes do breathe first, then breathe again.

Ask a good solid friend to come over when you get home and she/he will help you with this.

Do not go through it alone.

It is totally possible to get this letter and you may need to be with someone to get it.

Maybe do not go and see your ex alone, or talk to him on the phone without a friend right by your side.

Okay, darling?

I am wishing all the strength in the universe for you.

Call me any time.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can feel for you. Things have a way of working out the best and, hopefully, getting the letter will not be hard.

However, you could get a legal opinion on the exact meaning of sole custody. if he has visitation rights then I think you do need the letter. if he's aware of your current relationship then he knows that this change is coming.

I wish you the best and quick resolution of this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So sorry to hear about this speed bump in the process....Sending good thoughts that you can get the letter without problems and get it sent back to Montreal so you can complete this part of the process quickly...I see them trying to cover their butts, but having sole custody *in my opinion* should have been enough..please keep us updated!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Oh my dear...I'm so sorry you've hit this glitch in your process. (F) You have all of our support here, albeit virtual, but it also has a LOT of power. I hope you can resolve this soon and with little difficulty. Best wishes and hugs are sent your way!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

I'm not sure what to say, BH. Why don't you try posting in Major Changes to see if you can get any helpful advice and/or anecdotal situations from the people in there?

When you talk to your child's father you could explain to him the advantages of your daughter becoming a dual citizen, and the scope of opportunities she will have for any future career. You could also discuss an arranged visitation schedule due to his concern with not seeing his daughter. From the sounds of it, this will be something you need not worry about him following through on, since he hasn't seemed to take an interest so far. However, if he does take an interest, that can only be a good thing, since it's important for children to know that their father loves them and cares.

I hope all works out well for you and your daughter, BH. All the best.

iagree.gif

Timeline

BH - I can totally understand how you're feeling. I am in the same situation...I have sole custody and my daughter hasn't seen her dad for 12 yrs now.

Within my original custody order it indicated how long we had not had contact with him (at that time about 2 yrs) . The lawyer was unable to contact him at that time. Then...last year while we were getting into the K1 process, I was worried and went to the lawyer again...convinced that what I had wouldn't be enough proof. I knew myself that it would be virtually impossible to find him since it had been another 10 yrs.

The lawyer drew up papers which indicated that we had not seen him in the last X years since the previous court order and that all parental rights on his part were no longer in place.

I realize this isn't exactly the same situation, but I wonder what the lawyer could come up with in your case? Perhaps, based on how little he has seen your daughter, they could draw up a custody order indicating that you can take her but she must have the opportunity x times a year to return to Canada(based on how much he's actually seen her recently).

This of course costs $$ :( Which about now I'm thinking we're all low on) .... but the last set of papers I had was roughly $300 for the meeting, the lawyer's time and then the 8 identical copies of the current order.

You could always just try for a whole new custody order period which incorporates the notion of you living in the US and providing X number of visiting opportunities per year. Where will you be moving to and how old is she? She may have a right to say with whom she wants to live and if you're only a little over the border, maybe it's not so big a deal.

I don't know all the details, but hang in there. It probably has seemed impossible to get a handle on this the past few days, but everything pans out in the end.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

oh wow this is bad , am so sorry , but I do agrea with the previouse posts ,

try not to talk to him while your alone , and maybe get your laywer to write up a visitation schedule and you financing the travel expenses for your daughter if it comes down to it ,( as krikit said he probly wont live up to his commitment )

but at least you would have something in written that hes ok with the whole process ,

also how old is your daughter ,( if you dont mind me asking ) cause depanding her age maybe she can also talk to her dad on how much she realy wants to move with you but would come to visit him as much as he likes to see her ?? ( but like I said that depands on her age if shes old enough to make that kind of decision ) I hope things will work out for you and good luck

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline

Really like that visitation schedule idea! Maybe it's possible to put in writing that the first visit is contingent on the AP document -with an estimate of the date range.

You'll want to come home to visit anyway :) Believe me...can get a little lonely without family and friends close by

I also like that when he doesn't live up to it...he doesn't have a peg leg to stand on :)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
Really like that visitation schedule idea! Maybe it's possible to put in writing that the first visit is contingent on the AP document -with an estimate of the date range.

You'll want to come home to visit anyway :) Believe me...can get a little lonely without family and friends close by

I also like that when he doesn't live up to it...he doesn't have a peg leg to stand on :)

exactly :)

another idea I had ( again depands on your daughters age ) but if he makes a big fuss about it maybe let her spend a weekend with him , where he can take her shopping and places wich will open his eyes to the fact oops wow kids are kinda expensive to suport on a long term bases now a days ,

( if shes a teen should be easy , teens like malls and lotsa cloaths and CD"S and going to cinemas and arcades and and and , you know what i mean ;) )

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline

Ok i know the sound of a visitation schedual sounds good and paying for it but really its not. The way my lawyer put it when i was fighting my ex was complainning now how he cant afford to come get his kids and we live in the same town, a year goes byand he never wants to see no calls no nothing then later he decideshe wants his kids and I didnt bring the kids he can take me to court on hardship cause he cant see his kids and its in the court order i'd be screwed.

So anyways she refused to set up any type of visitation to protect us plus it also made the consent form look better when it said resonable access and resonable phone calls. I have to give him our number and address thats all marked on the consent form. All he asked me later was any time we came back to let him know so he can see the kids. I know its easier said then done we were actually set to go to court cause my ex didnt want to give consent but when he got served and read the papers he gave in.

Good luck with everything.

Danielle

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Good advice ONT....

Ok i know the sound of a visitation schedual sounds good and paying for it but really its not. The way my lawyer put it when i was fighting my ex was complainning now how he cant afford to come get his kids and we live in the same town, a year goes byand he never wants to see no calls no nothing then later he decideshe wants his kids and I didnt bring the kids he can take me to court on hardship cause he cant see his kids and its in the court order i'd be screwed.

So anyways she refused to set up any type of visitation to protect us plus it also made the consent form look better when it said resonable access and resonable phone calls. I have to give him our number and address thats all marked on the consent form. All he asked me later was any time we came back to let him know so he can see the kids. I know its easier said then done we were actually set to go to court cause my ex didnt want to give consent but when he got served and read the papers he gave in.

Good luck with everything.

Danielle

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.