rikday1

I'm Pregnant and I'll need my Mom to visit

12 posts in this topic

Timeline

I'm from Mexico. I got the green card last year and I'm almost 2 months pregnant and it's wonderful, but I really think that I'll need my Mom to be with me when the baby is due (by early Sept). I don't have anybody here with me except for my husband of course and I want to try to bring my Mom to visit for a few weeks. I don't know if the visa to apply for is a tourist visa, in this case for people from Mexico is extremely hard to get it. You need to give proofs of good jobs, bank accounts, houses, cars, etc. but my family is poor. My Mom doesn't have a job, she is a homemaker. My husband and I both have good jobs here so I don't if there is a way to write a letter of invitation with proofs of our income or something that could help my Mom to get the visa. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if you have any advice o comment it will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Rocio & Ben

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'm from Mexico. I got the green card last year and I'm almost 2 months pregnant and it's wonderful, but I really think that I'll need my Mom to be with me when the baby is due (by early Sept). I don't have anybody here with me except for my husband of course and I want to try to bring my Mom to visit for a few weeks. I don't know if the visa to apply for is a tourist visa, in this case for people from Mexico is extremely hard to get it. You need to give proofs of good jobs, bank accounts, houses, cars, etc. but my family is poor. My Mom doesn't have a job, she is a homemaker. My husband and I both have good jobs here so I don't if there is a way to write a letter of invitation with proofs of our income or something that could help my Mom to get the visa. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if you have any advice o comment it will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Rocio & Ben

FIANCEE ANSWERING:

I do not know very much about it, but… I think one letter explaing why you want your mom comes here to the States is gonna help a lot... That kind of letter is working very good... I heard that...

You must say you need her here when the baby born for few weeks, notary that letter and send to her. She bringing this to the interview is gonna help. I am sure

Good luck!

K1 Visa

June 15, 2005 - Submited I-129F

June 29, 2005 - Received NOA1

July 09, 2005 - Received NOA2

July 19, 2005 - Package 3

August 18, 2005 - Package 4 with the interview date (october 17, 2005 in Rio)

September 6, 2005 - Medical exam done

October 17, 2005 - Interview date APPROVED!!!

December 2, 2005 - Arrived in the U.S.

December 8, 2005 - MARRIED!!!

AOS

December 23, 2005 Sent completed forms for AOS

Jan 2006 - Checks cashed for AOS

Jan 06, 2006 - Received all 3 NOA's

Feb 16, 2006 - EAD and AP approved

Feb 24th, 2006 - Received AP in the mail

March 18th 2006 - Still no biometrics letter, made infopass

April 11th 2006 EAD Biometrics

April 18th 2006 Received EAD in the mail

May 10th 2006 AOS Biometrics after calling 800 number for 2 months, they claimed letter was returned undeliverable by the post office.

May 25th case transfered to California Service Center

June 5th case received by California Service Center

June 14th - Email that a Greencard was ordered (no interview)

June 17th - Welcome letter comes in the mail

June 19 2006 - Greencard arriives in the mail - WE ARE DONE!!!

Sept 2006 - Passed the road test

October 2006 - First job in U.S.

March 2008 - File I-751 - Biometrics taken

Naturalization

Aug 2010

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do not know where you got that info from but the Department of State has this to say about letters of invitation.

"We understand that you may want to help with the visa process. However, it does not help the applicant if you write a letter of invitation or personally guarantee his or her departure from the United States after the visit is over. The consular officer evaluates each visa application on its own merits according to visa law and procedures. You can be most helpful by making sure the applicant has all the information they need to submit a correct application and by explaining fully the standards for visa issuance."

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/index.html

wow, is been a while i'm visiting visa journey back again. so nice to see all new faces and names.

well I have an advice for you. I guess she has to come on tourist visa, but if you (your mom i mean) tell the embassy that she wants visit you because ur expecting and she wants to help you and be with you through this, there is a known answer that they give. "WE HAVE A GOOD HEALTH CARE SYSTEM TO TAKE CARE OF HER, you dont have to be there" because they simply think grnd mas can get easily attached to the babies and miss there visa dead lines and stuff.

please note that my experience is not first hand, this is what I gathered from dozens of posts from preg. moms and their experience.

Wish you all the best! and hope your mom will be ale to visit you and your husband (not because ur pregnant, but to see how your adapting to your new life and meet up with his family etc. etc. ;) )

all the best once again,

November.

wow, is been a while i'm visiting visa journey back again. so nice to see all new faces and names.

well I have an advice for you. I guess she has to come on tourist visa, but if you (your mom i mean) tell the embassy that she wants visit you because ur expecting and she wants to help you and be with you through this, there is a known answer that they give. "WE HAVE A GOOD HEALTH CARE SYSTEM TO TAKE CARE OF HER, you dont have to be there" because they simply think grnd mas can get easily attached to the babies and miss there visa dead lines and stuff.

please note that my experience is not first hand, this is what I gathered from dozens of posts from preg. moms and their experience.

Wish you all the best! and hope your mom will be ale to visit you and your husband (not because ur pregnant, but to see how your adapting to your new life and meet up with his family etc. etc. ;) )

all the best once again,

November.

NVC TimeLine

02/26/2005 - Case Transfered to NVC

02/28/2005 - Case number assigned

03/07/2005 - DS-3032 & I-864 Fee Bill Generated

03/11/2005 - DS-3032 & I-864 Fee Bill Received

03/27/2005 - DS-3032 & I-864 Fee Bill Sent

03/31/2005 - I-864 Fee Bill Delivered

03/31/2005 - DS-3032 Delivered

05/02/2005 - I-864 Generated

XXXX2005 - I-864 Received

05/24/2005 - I-864 Sent

05/25/2005 - I-864 Delivered.

XXXX2005 - I-864 Review Completed

04/04/2005 - IV Bill Generated

04/26/2005 - IV Bill Received

05/03/2005 - IV Bill Sent

05/04/2005 - IV Bill Delivered,

05/19/2005 - IV fee in NVC system

05/23/2005 - Packet 3.0 DS-230 Generated

XXXX2005 - Packet 3.0 DS-230 Received

05/25/2005 - Packet 3.0 DS-230 Sent (Self Generated)

05/27/2005 - Packet 3.0 DS-230 Delivered (Thanks DHL for going out of thier way to help me, delivering in 2 days on request, as a special priority package)

06/03/2005 - Case Under Review

06/07/2005 - I864 RFE (Evidence of employment)

06/07/2005 - DS230 review completed

06/13/2005 - RFE docs in the system

06/22/2005 - Case Completed

06/28/2005 - Case Forwarded to Counslate

xx/xx/2005 - Packet 4.0 Received

xx/xx/2005 - Packet 4.0 Sent to Counslate

08/09/2005 - Interview Date - Success, subject to security clearence

08/11/2005 - Visa in hand

08/15/2005 - POE Dallas Fort Worth (DFW)

In my new home at San Antonio

I agree you need you mom here...

I would suggest not only letter but copy of your green card, copy of your husband passport. Statement that you will support her the whole time while in USA that she will have a place to stay and food and so on.

I would even consider doctors prove that you are indeed pregnat...

Basicaly any supporting evidence for the US embassy in Mexico. Even bank statement showing that you guys have enough money to support her and of course marriga licence...

Best of Luck I hope you will be able to have you mom there for you and your baby

Luc

Jan-09-2005 ~ Filled I-485 together with EAD and AP (sent to Chicago)

Jan-12-2005 ~ NOA (I-485 and EAD Biometrics notice received)

Feb-02-2005 ~ AP Email: APPROVED

Feb-07-2005 ~ AP came in mail, 26days (since Jan12 NOA)

Feb-26-2005 ~ I-485 and EAD Biometrics in New York, NY

Mar-02-2005 ~ I-485 Notice: "Your Fingerprints results received…" 48days

Mar-02-2005 ~ EAD Email: APPROVED

Mar-05-2005 ~ EAD in mail: The card starts on Feb 05, Nice...

Mar-07-2005 ~ Interview Notice for October 6th 2005 in Garden City, NY

Oct-06-2005 ~ Interview: Background checks not completed

Jan-09-2006 ~ What a coincident ;) E-filled For EAD and AP renewal

Jan-25-2006 ~ right index finger fingerprinted and photo taken

Sept-15-2006 ~ AP renewal approved 247 days

Sept-21-2006 ~ EAD renewal approved 253 days

Sept-30-2006 ~ 2nd Biometrics appointment

June-18-2007 ~ E-filed yet another Work Permit and AP renewal :(

After 2 years, 6 moths and one day I have received this email:

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

Thank you very much about the time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I think the issue is not proof of her intention to visit, or the reason for the visit, but ensuring that she will return home! Does she have other family she cares for, named on a rent agreement or mortgage statement..... It's a hard one.

I hope she does get it though, and you have her here to help with your baby.

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

all the best once again,

November.

I agree with November. Be really careful what you/your mom tell the embassy. Or not what you tell them, but rather, how you position it.

Some things to consider:

- Your mother cannot be coming here to help you with childcare. The ConOff might consider that "work" that an American could be doing.

- Apparently a lot of grandparents get denied visas because the ConOffs are afraid that they will decide to stay after the grandchild is born.

Unless she is specifically asked whether you are expecting, she might want to keep it more vague and focus on her ties to Mexico that will bring her back to Mexico after her visit. IOW, the reason for getting the visa could be on a more general level -- that she wishes to visit her daughter, see her home in the US, meet the in-laws, whatnot. And really build up a pile of evidence of why your mother would absolutely return to Mexico after her visit -- her family ties in Mexico, property ownership, etc.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

all the best once again,

November.

I agree with November. Be really careful what you/your mom tell the embassy. Or not what you tell them, but rather, how you position it.

Some things to consider:

- Your mother cannot be coming here to help you with childcare. The ConOff might consider that "work" that an American could be doing.

- Apparently a lot of grandparents get denied visas because the ConOffs are afraid that they will decide to stay after the grandchild is born.

Unless she is specifically asked whether you are expecting, she might want to keep it more vague and focus on her ties to Mexico that will bring her back to Mexico after her visit. IOW, the reason for getting the visa could be on a more general level -- that she wishes to visit her daughter, see her home in the US, meet the in-laws, whatnot. And really build up a pile of evidence of why your mother would absolutely return to Mexico after her visit -- her family ties in Mexico, property ownership, etc.

Great post, hcj! Ecellent addition to the conversation that many people might not be aware of.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

u can fill the I-134 affadavit of support too with the other stuff, my brother did this so that my parents and my brother could visit us.

I-751

1/12/08 - sent I-751 to TSC

2/7/08 - money order cashed

1/24/08 - Transferred to VERMONT

1/26/2008 - NOA

2/23/2008 -Biometrics

12/16/2008 finally Approved

N-400

12/03/08 Eligible to file N400

10/03/09 Mailed N-400

10/07/09 NOA

10/13/09 Check cashed

10/30/09 FP appointment

11/07/09 Case sent to Local office for interview

11/23/2009 Received interview letter with an as of date of 11/18/2009

12/15/2009 Interview scheduled ---Approved

01/06/2010 Oath Ceremony

We did the same thing with my mother-n-law. Heres what I can tell you.

1. Send a letter explaining why you want her to visit. When the expected date is and how long you want her visit to be. DOn't make promises of her return or anything of that nature. Keep it not overy long and to the point. Only state the facts. like your a perm resident , how your mother meets the requirements for a tourist visa , length of her stay etc..

2. She still needs to meet the requirements of a tourist visa (employment, owns own house, leaving family behind etc..)

3. she will need a letter from her employer if employed showing that she will get the time off and not lose her job.

They gave my mother-n-law a tourist visa to visit us without hesitation for this issue. But she is employed she owns her own house and her employer gave her a letter stating she had the time off without loosing her employement and her 2 minor children stayed behind.

I couldn't imagine my poor wife going through her first childbirth without her mother. Now here comes the hard part we haven't found a way for my mother-n-law to come on a more permanent basis to help with our child. I have contacted a lawyer, the USCIS and my congressman and we still have yet to find a basis for a visa that she could come live with us to provide child care for our daughter. Its horrible I can't find myself to trust a stranger to care for our daughter and would give anything for my mother-n-law to be able to.

We are going to file a work petition this year and see if that will work from my the company I am employed with cause right now my daughter goes to our office everyday and it makes everything very difficult. Unfortunatly its a lengthy process. Once you get citizenship you can apply for your mother to live here permanently but since you have to wait another 2 years for your citizenship and 3-5 years after that for approval of a family petition your child will be at least 5-7 years old before it can happen :( .

Last but not least plan ahead if your a few months pregnant now get your paper work together immediately and get your appointment scheduled with the embassy. Try to get in at least 3 months before you plan for her to arrive in case something comes up that you guys need to resolve. I also don't know about visa appointment schedules for mexico but I imagine its at least a 1 or 2 months to get an appoitment.

Edited by JPATTER123

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Unfortunatly its a lengthy process. Once you get citizenship you can apply for your mother to live here permanently but since you have to wait another 2 years for your citizenship and 3-5 years after that for approval of a family petition your child will be at least 5-7 years old before it can happen :( .

Actually, parents are in the same immediate relative catagory as spouses, so the mom could have pr status within a year or so of the daughter's citizenship. (assuming daughter's age is a non-issue) Its still a long wait, I know.

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.