no name

Another illegal immigrant takes sanctuary at Chicago church

216 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I guess we can continue cherrypicking what we read... err, I mean, reading what we want to read.

"There would not be a thread if... "

GO there and think. Everyone will have a different opinion as to what point of the pathway should be more important... the Cause or the Effect. I prefer to treat the cause so as to avoid a third Chicago church from doing something humane, God forbid.

Harboring illegals is against the law.

Helping human beings in need is not.

I prefer the humanist side. And yes, maybe the law needs to be made more equitable so we don't only think that only people with lots of money can emigrate to this country, since we are allowing the law to dictate what is and what isn't humanistic enough to consider our fellow man.

i'd love to see that tried as a defense in a court of law.

Defense against what? Being completely ignorant of other human beings or not looking at the circumstances that create the illegal immigration in the first place. Oh, I forgot, its not our responsibility to solve banana republic problems while we make nice profits in those same countries.

Who wants to take this to court? I think it has more to do with creating a conscience to change the law. Hence the point of seeking sanctuary to grab attention. She'll probably give up like Arellano did in LA.

So illegal immigration problems are all about ... let me use your words ... "banana republics" ? No other countries ?

What happened to the "brown" word ... or is this another way to promote a race card ?

If you want to throw it in at this popcorn stage, OK.

Just play the numbers. Sven isn't looking for help in a Methodist Church now is he? And ignore the rest of the information written in the post, too.

not throwing anything ... just watching the show and making a comment on a choice of words .... :wacko:

Pick all you want. And continue ignoring what the argument is in this particular case. Unless you'd like to also comment on that? Yes? No?

Pick? Again no ... :clock: ... waiting for the next word ...

Just watching someone get all wound up because it has been pointed out that a race card has been played ... :lol:

Ever consider the US isn't the only country that has/is creating "circumstances" in SA?

Who's talking about SA?

We're talking circumstances here.

And note how I do not mention other countries in relation to one Methodist Church in Chicago. In our country.

Excluding by virtue of vocabulary is not a new way of ignoring the discussion is it??

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I prefer the humanist side. And yes, maybe the law needs to be made more equitable so we don't only think that only people with lots of money can emigrate to this country, since we are allowing the law to dictate what is and what isn't humanistic enough to consider our fellow man.

i'd love to see that tried as a defense in a court of law.

Defense against what? Being completely ignorant of other human beings or not looking at the circumstances that create the illegal immigration in the first place. Oh, I forgot, its not our responsibility to solve banana republic problems while we make nice profits in those same countries.

Who wants to take this to court? I think it has more to do with creating a conscience to change the law. Hence the point of seeking sanctuary to grab attention. She'll probably give up like Arellano did in LA.

So illegal immigration problems are all about ... let me use your words ... "banana republics" ? No other countries ?

What happened to the "brown" word ... or is this another way to promote a race card ?

If you want to throw it in at this popcorn stage, OK.

Just play the numbers. Sven isn't looking for help in a Methodist Church now is he? And ignore the rest of the information written in the post, too.

not throwing anything ... just watching the show and making a comment on a choice of words .... :wacko:

Pick all you want. And continue ignoring what the argument is in this particular case. Unless you'd like to also comment on that? Yes? No?

Pick? Again no ... :clock: ... waiting for the next word ...

Just watching someone get all wound up because it has been pointed out that a race card has been played ... :lol:

Ever consider the US isn't the only country that has/is creating "circumstances" in SA?

Who's talking about SA?

We're talking circumstances here.

And note how I do not mention other countries in relation to one Methodist Church in Chicago. In our country.

Excluding by virtue of vocabulary is not a new way of ignoring the discussion is it??

The attempted new way of insulting others ... :wacko:

It was mentioned ... Banana Republic

Is a pejorative term for a small, often Latin American, Caribbean or African country that is politically unstable, dependent on limited agriculture, and ruled by a small, self-elected, wealthy and corrupt clique....

Now if it's banana exporting countries and not "Banana Republics" ... well the top 10 include lower CA and SA.

Top Banana Exporting Nations - 2005

1. Ecuador ... 4.7 million metric tonnes (+2.6% from 2004)

2. Philippines ... 1.9 (+6.0%)

3. Costa Rica ... 1.6 (-11.1%)

4. Colombia ... 1.5 (+7.4%)

5. Guatemala ... 1.1 (+6.7%)

6. Honduras ... 0.51 (-3.8%)

7. Panama ... 0.36 (-10%)

8. Cameroon ... 0.26 (-12.7%)

9. Brazil ... 0.21 (+12.7%)

10. Cote d'Ivoire ... 0.21 (-7.9%)

Of which the European countries import more than the US.

Link

So ... in the "Banana Republic circumstance" category shouldn't Europe be the leader in welcoming illegals from "Banana Republics" for "humanistic" reasons.

Timeline

Nice try, and nice info. Again, not having to do with the actual discussion in the thread at this point. Unless, of course you want to use the terms to address the implied sentiment of ignorance by stimulating overconsumption by us and not putting up our fair share of the use of cash crops abroad.

"The attempted new way of insulting others ... wacko.gif"

Lame...

If you feel insulted, maybe you shouldn't participate. The discussion is pretty clear. But maybe a little clarification will help.

Funny I am apologizing for my vocabulary to you, but maybe its too much for you to stick with the topic at hand.

FYI- maybe its because Europe has a better diet than the US for the most part?

Filed: Timeline
I guess we can continue cherrypicking what we read... err, I mean, reading what we want to read.

"There would not be a thread if... "

GO there and think. Everyone will have a different opinion as to what point of the pathway should be more important... the Cause or the Effect. I prefer to treat the cause so as to avoid a third Chicago church from doing something humane, God forbid.

Wow, so VJers are all rich? I missed that memo. Damn.

Timeline

Dude didn't leave just yet... sucks for me.

Yeah, so sorry... my language must not be clear enough to list every single kind of visa available for all legal immigrants vs all the ones not available for those that just want to have a better, sustainable, and survivable life. Geez, my bad.

Filed: Timeline
Nice try, and nice info. Again, not having to do with the actual discussion in the thread at this point. Unless, of course you want to use the terms to address the implied sentiment of ignorance by stimulating overconsumption by us and not putting up our fair share of the use of cash crops abroad.

YOU brought it up, not Natty. :lol:

Yeah, so sorry... my language must not be clear enough to list every single kind of visa available for all legal immigrants vs all the ones not available for those that just want to have a better, sustainable, and survivable life. Geez, my bad.

it's called revolutions, in their own countries. Change starts at home. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Lame...

If you feel insulted, maybe you shouldn't participate. The discussion is pretty clear. But maybe a little clarification will help.

Funny I am apologizing for my vocabulary to you, but maybe its too much for you to stick with the topic at hand.

Actually I don't feel insulted ... I found the attempted insult humorous.

Your vocabulary ... has what to do with this topic? Oh wait ... you must looking for validation. :wacko:

US diet ... Eur diet ... who cares ? Which geographic area consumes more was the point that was missed.

On topic ... She decided to flaunt US law and involve the church. Will deportation still happen? :yes:

Timeline

it's called revolutions, in their own countries. Change starts at home. :thumbs:

At that point, it did not. Read back and you'll see if you care. Not that you probably do, but I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Lets just say it was more of the typical neener naner babble of staying within the discussion vs evading the discussion by virtue of vocabulary cherrypicking.

'Revolutions' that seem to be thwarted by our interests whenever they mean an improvement in their lives. Then again, that was all in the past, right? OK. Lets flash forward to 2008. Help by improving democracy, not thwarting it. Reduce illegal immigration to our country in the process.

Timeline

Lame...

Actually I don't feel insulted ... I found the attempted insult humorous.

Your vocabulary ... has what to do with this topic? Oh wait ... you must looking for validation. :wacko:

US diet ... Eur diet ... who cares ? Which geographic area consumes more was the point that was missed.

On topic ... She decided to flaunt US law and involve the church. Will deportation still happen? :yes:

I also agree, deportation will happen. Read back and you'll see my opinion on that issue.

Fighting a humanitarian issue, on the other hand, is well... plain old insensitive and very, very, unhumanitarian. Go figure. Screw her for breaking a law, right? Even if it means abject poverty back home in a country where we do very well business wise while those that work for us get screwed.

You may see no relationship. I see a golden opportunity to 1) improve the world and 2) reduce law breaking in this country.

Heck, if we don't want to change the law we should at least change the way we suck cash out of other nations. Banana Republic style.

Timeline
Revolutions cost lives - most people choose to flee

Just where they can have a better life. Seems to be forgotten that people here will support wars that provide them with better driveability but not support wars against poverty to provide others with better lives. Maybe its too boring for them.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Revolutions cost lives - most people choose to flee

Just where they can have a better life. Seems to be forgotten that people here will support wars that provide them with better driveability but not support wars against poverty to provide others with better lives. Maybe its too boring for them.

I think its a little more complicated than that - there are people who genuinely believe that the Iraq war was driven with the welfare and interest of the Iraqi people foremost in mind; hence all the chest beating about how the war's detractors must not care about the civilian population or somehow sympathise with Saddam.

Self delusion is easy - if every issue is simplified and reduced to black and white terms.

Edited by Number 6