Rocio

looking for job

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

well as we all i am looking for jobs around, i thought that i could start looking even when i havent got my ead yet here at home, i hope soon will.....

i have posted my resume and applied for some jobs, today i got a call from Robert Half Financial Services, they liked my resume and qualifications, i have 2 bachelor degrees but...........I HAVE NO PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES IN THE USA, so as simple as that they said they cant help me

i feel so down right now, i guess i knew it wouldnt be easy but i have so much experience and education and it seems like nothing here :(

Edited by Rocio

09-14-2010 Boston's biggest ceremony of naturalization, I'm a citizen now! :)

1.png

Timeline

thank you for your words, i know it will take time but i hope this wont be a big issue, i have 15 years of experience in my country i am am accountant and also have law degree, i had my own firm small but my own and provided consulting to a couple of companies half time, now it is hard to start over and more than all passed from being always busy to being at home all day

i have to do something or i will go nuts :wacko:

1.png

I didn't have any profesional references within the USA either, so I signed on with numerous professional employment agencies who tested my skills and put me out on assignment so I could prove my worth and get my face and name known. I was offered permanent positions in every assignment I did and this enabled me to get good references within the US in a short period of time.

They also did check my overseas references so you should be able to do the same.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline

would u mind mentioning some? so far i used monster and robert half and nothing yet

by the way i offered references in mexico but they didnt accept them they said they had to be from usa

Edited by Rocio

1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I actually got references from the UK since I didn't have any in the US and they were accepted without any trouble.

Maybe some of your old clients would be willing to write you a reference?

(F)

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

My honey had the same issue for a while... All he had was references for the oil and gas industry for his years with PEMEX, but they didn't speak English and couldn't ever be reached.

A couple tips...

As for monster/careerbuilder/jobing etc., I haven't heard of many people who've had luck with those online engines. Luis sent out 10-20 resumes a DAY for months and didn't get one call. Not ONE.

The advice to get your name and face out is key. Especially in your line of work, you need to network, and I think you'll have better luck. Also, not everyone will reject international references; think about it, they can't... some businesses are just more short-sighted than others and can't get their heads around the concept of someone changing countries. So be patient with that.

Our initial key? The consulate. Look into a Mexican consulate in your city/state, if there is one, and go in and see them. Consulate workers tend to be VERY well connected and will know which doors open easier than others.

Hopefully that helps!

A & L

I-129F VAMONOS mi amorcito :)

Feb 10, 2005 - I-129F package sent to TSC (Day 1 - sigh)

March 7 - NOA2 date (never received NOA1?!?!) (Day 25)

March 21 - NVC sent package to Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico (WOW this is going fast... Day 39)

April 24 - Package 3 received (by USC)!!!!! (Day 73)

May 13 - Package 3 received (by Mexican fiance) (Day 92)

June 1 - ENGAGED OFFICIALLY!!!!

Aug 1 - Arrived in Juarez for a romantic rendezvous complete with wine, soft music and the American consulate

Aug 4 - VISA IN HAND!!!!

Sep 2 - POE at McAllen Texas

Sep 14 - applied for SSN

Sept 23 - SSN in hand

Sept 26 - Legally married at the county clerk's office in Denver

Nov 22 - Sent AOS Packet to Chicago Lockbox

Dec 1 - NOA date for AOS, EAD and AP (received Dec 5)

Dec 21 - Walk in biometrics in Aurora, CO (thanks to a worker who was in a REALLY good mood :))

Jan 5, 2006 - Received online approval of EAD

Jan 11 - EAD arrived in mail!

Jan 13 - Luis receives his driver´s license

Feb 8 - AP approved, received interview appt.

Mar 10 - AOS interview! Everything fine, just waiting an FBI check to finish up

Mar 25 - Welcome to America letter!!!

Apr 1 - GREENCARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!

May 20 2006 - WEDDING!

Off we go again... 2008

Jan 12 - I-751 completed and sent to Nebraska Service Center

Jan 14 - date of NOA

Jan 24 - received NOA, case has been transferred to California

Jan 28 - NOA number 2 date, biometrics set

Feb 14 - Biometrics DONE, (how romantic)

Apr 8 - APPROVED!!

The last big push - N400 Naturalization

Apr 17 - Biometrics

Timeline
My honey had the same issue for a while... All he had was references for the oil and gas industry for his years with PEMEX, but they didn't speak English and couldn't ever be reached.

A couple tips...

As for monster/careerbuilder/jobing etc., I haven't heard of many people who've had luck with those online engines. Luis sent out 10-20 resumes a DAY for months and didn't get one call. Not ONE.

The advice to get your name and face out is key. Especially in your line of work, you need to network, and I think you'll have better luck. Also, not everyone will reject international references; think about it, they can't... some businesses are just more short-sighted than others and can't get their heads around the concept of someone changing countries. So be patient with that.

Our initial key? The consulate. Look into a Mexican consulate in your city/state, if there is one, and go in and see them. Consulate workers tend to be VERY well connected and will know which doors open easier than others.

Hopefully that helps!

A & L

thanks a lot i will do that

1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I used my Australian references and had no trouble at all

Nov 11th 2003 sent i29f form to VSC

Nov 18th 2003 received NOA 1

Jan 17th 2004 NOA 2

Feb 6th 2004 received package 3

March 11th 2004 recieved package 4

April 7th 2004 interview in Sydney

April 7th 2004 VISA GRANTED

April 27th 2004 Arrive in Boston 8.30pm

may 29th 2004 WEDDING DAY

May 11th 2004 applied for SSN

May 17th received SSN card

June 12th 2004 applied for AOS EAD AP

July 7th 2004 NOA received for AOS EAD

August 3rd 2004 Biometrics appt in Rhode Island

EAD approved online Aug 3rd 2004

EAD card arrived in the Mail Aug 9th 2004

started working 13th September 2004

applied for renewal of EAD May 9th 2005

bio appt for EAD renewal June 10th 2005 in Boston

July 6th renewal EAD approved

July 12th 2005 renewal EAD arrived in the mail

Sept 12th AOS suspended until FBI fingerprints are done

Sept 17th FBI fingerprint appt

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview success

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Now im getting nervous about the move to USA. :(

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

08/26/08 filling date

08/27/08 NOA1

09/12/08 Notice for BIO

10/01/08 BIO

02/04/09 RFE received

02/20/09 RFE mailed

03/03/09 APPROVED

03/16/09 NEW CARD RECEIVED

Timeline
Now im getting nervous about the move to USA. :(

no reason really, tips here from other vj,s helped a lot, also now i realized one recruiter was small minded but not all are, ive got 2 calls from people who want to interview me lately and also i have job offer already, its ok, its just i get nervous when i dont know what to expect.....

good luck

1.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

ok, thanks & good luck on your job interview :thumbs:

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

08/26/08 filling date

08/27/08 NOA1

09/12/08 Notice for BIO

10/01/08 BIO

02/04/09 RFE received

02/20/09 RFE mailed

03/03/09 APPROVED

03/16/09 NEW CARD RECEIVED

I didn't have many USA references when I applied for my current job, only one to be precise... the supervisor of the temp agency where I busted my b*tt off for a couple of months.

I listed my former Belgian employer and they contacted them as well.

BTW my 90 day trial is almost over and then weeeheeee: benefits will take effect :dance:

Edited by Silvanski

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

And also, one good way to obtain references is to volunteer. Volunteer positions are easy to obtain and, in exchange for a couple hours a week, you will meet people who can put in a good word for you. Volunteer supervisors also tend to be fairly complimentary, because you are, after all, volunteering your time and energy to work for them.

US Citizen since August 09.

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Don't worry, I passed through the same situation last year ( I arrived last July). I find it easier to find a job here in NY that in Peru. I have a BA in tourism and I worked as a tour guide in Peru - I love it-. I went to a few interviews and I have to say that people were very nice to me. Post your resume on monster.com, careerbuilder, hot jobs. They asked me how much I made in Peru, don't tell them 'cause the salaries in our countries are totally different to the salaries here.

Mucha Suerte!!!!

Vi

sofsmile-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.