13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife and I are starting to fill out our paperwork for AOS. I have everything completed and copied and while double checking everything, realized her birth certificate is in Thai. Instructions say it has to be translated (did not have to be for K1). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to have this done stateside? We are in Missouri.

Thanks, Douglas

My wife and I are starting to fill out our paperwork for AOS. I have everything completed and copied and while double checking everything, realized her birth certificate is in Thai. Instructions say it has to be translated (did not have to be for K1). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to have this done stateside? We are in Missouri.

Thanks, Douglas

Do you have anyone (besides your wife) who reads/writes Thai in your area? Your wife can do the translation, have that person verify that it is correct, and on a separate sheet of paper, print the following text out and have that person sign it.

Here's the text:

Certification by Translator

I, ________ certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and Thai languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled Certificate of Birth.

Signature: ___________________________ Date: ____________

Name (of translator)

Address

The instructions on documents in a foreign language state that the english translation must be certified as accuarate, not that the translator of said document must be certified.

Good luck,

-P

Edited by Paula&Minya
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If you are confident in your ability to translate the document, you can do it yourself. That's what we did and had no problems. At the end of the translation, You should add the following.

I _________ , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and _________

languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the

document attached entitled _________.

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address _______________________

Good Luck!

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Caro,

Did you do the translations? What I mean is, you were adjusting status, and it was your name that certified the translations? I was just hesitant to put that out there as an option, as I'm not sure if that wouldn't be 'unacceptable' for the purposes of AOS....I don't know.

-P

If either you or your wife is fluent in English & Thai, then you can do it yourselves. This whole immigration process is expensive as it is, no need to spend $ on translators when you can do it yourself. Just be sure to add in the statement about certifying the statements are accurate like the above posters recommended.

I translated my husbands birth certificate into English, had it notarized and sent it in with AOS, and all was good!

Caro,

Did you do the translations? What I mean is, you were adjusting status, and it was your name that certified the translations? I was just hesitant to put that out there as an option, as I'm not sure if that wouldn't be 'unacceptable' for the purposes of AOS....I don't know.

-P

As long as you are fluent in both languages, you can translate your own documents. Its acceptable for AOS, just get the translations notarized.

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I translated my birth certificate by myself and seems to be ok. My husband called National Customer Service and they said anyone fluent in English can do that. We added same note as Saludos & Caro at the end of translation and had it signed in front of the Public Notary. good luck

and

If you are confident in your ability to translate the document, you can do it yourself. That's what we did and had no problems. At the end of the translation, You should add the following.

I _________ , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and _________

languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the

document attached entitled _________.

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address _______________________

Good Luck!

Saludos,

Caro

09/29/2007- civil wedding in the US

10/ 8- send AOS

10/15- NOA

10/30- RFE

11/07- fingerprints, Latham NY

11/08- RFE send to USCIS

12/15- case transfered to CSC

01/24- AOS touched

02/11/2008- green card production ordered

02/20- welcome letter and green card in the mail:))))

07/10/2008- our religious wedding and awsome reception in Poland:)))

Joanna

Timeline
Caro,

-P

Yes, I did the translation, and it was my name on the certification :yes: and Justin proof-read it for me. :thumbs:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

If either you or your wife is fluent in English & Thai, then you can do it yourselves. This whole immigration process is expensive as it is, no need to spend $ on translators when you can do it yourself. Just be sure to add in the statement about certifying the statements are accurate like the above posters recommended.

I translated my husbands birth certificate into English, had it notarized and sent it in with AOS, and all was good!

Caro,

-P

As long as you are fluent in both languages, you can translate your own documents. Its acceptable for AOS, just get the translations notarized.

You mean get your certification of the authenticity of the translation notarized? A notary only authenticates your signature on a piece of paper, not the actual accuracy of the content of the paper. I'm not trying to nit-pick, really I'm not. I agree w/ you that as expensive as AOS is, if you can save money anywhere, i'm all a go for it! I did it just like you, except that I had someone else certify the BC translation and I did not notarize. So I guess there are different ways to do it, all of which are acceptable. :)

-P

Timeline
We added same note as Saludos & Caro at the end of translation and had it signed in front of the Public Notary. good luck

Sorry nelka, but you made me laugh! "Saludos" means "regards" in spanish :lol:

My husband's name is Justin :)

Saludos,

Caro

Edited by JVKn'CVO

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I find it so confusing that USCIS says that neither you nor your SO can translate - then they let you do it.

I say go for it since other people have been successful.

I called USCIS to see if I could be the translator for our AOS interview and was told no since we could possibly be interviewed in separate rooms. However, when we arrived at the interview, the IO told our translator to take a seat and let me do it. We just had to swear in.

Let your wife translate the BC and then sign the affidavit saying she's fluent. Good luck :thumbs:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Caro,

-P

My husband signed off on his translation. I helped him with it (or did most of it...) but when we did the paperwork (through Catholic Charities, never again) they had him sign off on it. No RFE, so issues with our approval.

:)

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

http://www.consular.go.th/modules.php?name...page&pid=98

This website is written in Thai, so you may have her take a look at it

You can use the form in this website to translate her birth certificate and then you just have to sign it

Hope this will help,

Timeline

12/20/07 : Graduated

01/18/08 : Civil Marriage

02/04/08 : filling out the forms

02/05/08 : AOS form arrived at USCIS

02/13/08 : Check cashed

02/15/08 : Received NOA

02/16/08 : Biometric Appointment notice

03/01/28 : Biometric Appointment

03/20/08 : Interview Appointment notice

04/03/08 : AP & EAD Card production ordered

04/10/08 : EAD Mailed

05/02/08 : Interview Appointment ( waiting for card arrival)

.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

sorry about that, i dont speak Spanish

We added same note as Saludos & Caro at the end of translation and had it signed in front of the Public Notary. good luck

Sorry nelka, but you made me laugh! "Saludos" means "regards" in spanish :lol:

My husband's name is Justin :)

Saludos,

Caro

09/29/2007- civil wedding in the US

10/ 8- send AOS

10/15- NOA

10/30- RFE

11/07- fingerprints, Latham NY

11/08- RFE send to USCIS

12/15- case transfered to CSC

01/24- AOS touched

02/11/2008- green card production ordered

02/20- welcome letter and green card in the mail:))))

07/10/2008- our religious wedding and awsome reception in Poland:)))

Joanna

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.