Myrhh

Advice: is it a good idea to pay a lawyer for help with K-3?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm seriously considering hiring a lawyer to make sure all's in order. I'd hate for this to take an extra year because I fill out the papers incorrectly or a variety of other things I can think of which may go wrong.

I guess the K-3 is our only option but I'm so sad to be apart for so long. We haven't spent more than a couple weeks apart in the five and a half years we've been together. Any other options which are faster? We're both North American, doesn't that count for anything?!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'm seriously considering hiring a lawyer to make sure all's in order. I'd hate for this to take an extra year because I fill out the papers incorrectly or a variety of other things I can think of which may go wrong.

I guess the K-3 is our only option but I'm so sad to be apart for so long. We haven't spent more than a couple weeks apart in the five and a half years we've been together. Any other options which are faster? We're both North American, doesn't that count for anything?!

Please start by reading the guides here and some relevant posts. That will help you determine whether you want to get an attorney.

To begin with though, K3 is not your only option and may well not be your best option. Start with the guides.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just fired mine. He was a weasel who didn't care one bit about our situation and actually extended our timeline. If you do decide to hire one, check as many out as you can. Ask around, and definitely meet them in person. If I had to do it over, I would just use the great resources and personal experience of the people on VJ. I just didn't know about it at the time...

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Everyones circumstance is different; our situation is as straight forward as you can get...but when we first started looking into this we were so overwhemed! I thought there was NO way we could do this on our own BUT WE HAVE :yes: and I am amazed by what we have accomplished so far and this site and community deserves so much of the credit. :thumbs:

I am SO glad we did not hire a lawyer! :yes:

Reading the guides and forums here have answered our questions and helped us along every step so far. They give you sample letters and tell you exactly how to fill in all the forms, step by step! We would have had to of filled all the forms ourselves anyway....and we didn't need someone else to charge up $250/hour to look them over or type up our intent or cover letters...especially when you can cut and paste them right off this site! ;)

Best of luck on your journey!

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please start by reading the guides here and some relevant posts. That will help you determine whether you want to get an attorney.

To begin with though, K3 is not your only option and may well not be your best option. Start with the guides.

:thumbs:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Everybody's case is unique. You can start with reading the guides to understand your options and the process to obtain a visa. Provided you don't have any complications in your case, and you are capable of understanding the instructions with the forms, then you don't need a lawyer to file your case for you.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think those of you who haven't got your visa yet should be advising people to not seek legal counsel. After all, you really don't know yet if you have been successful in your 'do-it-yourself' venture.

Furthermore, the use of the word 'straightforward' is overused around here. As a very valuable member used to say (when he was around) "the devil is in the details". We rarely know the details of each others cases.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think those of you who haven't got your visa yet should be advising people to not seek legal counsel. After all, you really don't know yet if you have been successful in your 'do-it-yourself' venture.

Furthermore, the use of the word 'straightforward' is overused around here. As a very valuable member used to say (when he was around) "the devil is in the details". We rarely know the details of each others cases.

:thumbs: Darnit, why doesn't VJ have a hand clapping smiley?! So true RJ!

It should be a personal decision, whether to hire a lawyer or not...once you've researched and informed yourself about the whole process, from filing and getting the petition approved all the way to the applying and getting the visa issued. :-)

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

dont get a lawer unless ou have complications such as criminal background, no tax history, problematic divorces in the past etc

dd/mmm/aaaa

05/jun/2007 - Got married

I-130

08/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet sent to NSC

09/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet received

19/sep/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

25/sep/2007 - NOA1 arrived

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on March 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-130 was approved in 258 days.

I-129F

09/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet sent to CSC

10/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet received

12/oct/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

20/oct/2007 - NOA1 received

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on April 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-129f was approved in 197 days.

NVC

08/may/2008 - replied to my e-mail sent on april 30, saying that our petition has been sent to the consulate.

Consulate

20/JUN/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

AOS

18/mar/2009 - Packet delivered

24/mar/2009 - NOA for AOS and EAD date

25/mar/2009 - Check cashed

15/apr/2009 - Biometrics done

22/may/2009 - EAD approved

dont get a lawer unless ou have complications such as criminal background, no tax history, problematic divorces in the past etc

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Generally speaking, if you're not an idiot, you can do it yourself.

If you are an idiot when it comes to filing papers and decide to hire an immigration

attorney to do it for you, no problem - just make sure the attorney you hire is not

an idiot. A lot of "immigration lawyers" out there are complete idiots who don't

know the first thing about immigration.

A friend of mine hired one such idiot lawyer who told him that the I-130 could

not be filed concurrently with the I-485. The idiot filed the I-130 first and wasted

6 months of my friend's time while he was out of status waiting for its approval.

Be very careful who you hire.

Just my 2c.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
Generally speaking, if you're not an idiot, you can do it yourself.

If you are an idiot when it comes to filing papers and decide to hire an immigration

attorney to do it for you, no problem - just make sure the attorney you hire is not

an idiot. A lot of "immigration lawyers" out there are complete idiots who don't

know the first thing about immigration.

A friend of mine hired one such idiot lawyer who told him that the I-130 could

not be filed concurrently with the I-485. The idiot filed the I-130 first and wasted

6 months of my friend's time while he was out of status waiting for its approval.

Be very careful who you hire.

Just my 2c.

so... where's that clapping emoticon?

dd/mmm/aaaa

I-130

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on March 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

I-129F

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on April 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

NVC

08/may/2008 - replied to my e-mail sent on april 30, saying that our petition has been sent to the consulate.

Consulate

AOS

Ah...but mawilson's statement is a little different than the few others in this thread....and he's a couple of "do-it-yourself" steps ahead of most of the people who've replied. One could say he knows what he's talking about. ;)

Timeline

I am offended by the implication that I dont know what I am talking about

dd/mmm/aaaa

I-130

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

I-129F

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

NVC

Consulate

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.