Jenn!

"I resemble that remark"

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When people say this is it some funny reference that I don't understand or are they just getting it wrong? I hear it all the time.

This has been bothering me for quite some time now. Thanks for listening. (F)

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

It irks me no end too. Why do people say that? Do they think it's cute or something? It sounds stupid.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
When used properly, "I resemble that remark" effectively parries an intended insult. The insult is deflated because the recipient accepts the characterization as accurate. It is particularly effective against those who have the innate need to attempt to "zing" everyone with which they come into contact. By "resembling" rather than "resenting" the zing, you take the fun out of it for the zinger and they move on to other victims.

http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/h...c/177509-1.html

Used in response to a put-down, turning it on the one dishing out the put-down.

Source: The Three Stooges. Has since been used in countless films and tv shows, including Clerks and Friends.

Snooty Rich Lady: "Murphy, who are those slovenly creatures at the door?"

Murphy the butler: The plumbers, Madam.

Snooty Rich Lady: Well, send them to the servant's entrance. We can't allow rifraff in the front door.

Curly: I Resemble That Remark !

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...le+That+Remark+

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I like to use that saying from time to time.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks for the links Marilyn, I can't see them at work though.

So did it start with the Three Stooges then? That must be why I don't find it funny. :lol:

I hear people say it with a straight face though, and I can't tell if they're trying to be funny or the meaning has become confused.

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
I hear people say it with a straight face though, and I can't tell if they're trying to be funny or the meaning has become confused.

That's a possibility.... I hear all kinds of terms/phrases used incorrectly and it bothers me the most when it's from, supposedly, highly educated individuals.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Timeline
Thats why I gave up on Canadian chicks!! If your wife can out fart ya, its time to move,lol (just kidding,lol)

hey, I resemble that remark :P

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...3&hl=farted

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
When used properly, "I resemble that remark" effectively parries an intended insult. The insult is deflated because the recipient accepts the characterization as accurate. It is particularly effective against those who have the innate need to attempt to "zing" everyone with which they come into contact. By "resembling" rather than "resenting" the zing, you take the fun out of it for the zinger and they move on to other victims.

Source: The Three Stooges. Has since been used in countless films and tv shows, including Clerks and Friends.

Snooty Rich Lady: Well, send them to the servant's entrance. We can't allow rifraff in the front door.

How does that "turn the insult back to the insult giver"? It has the insultee AGREE with the insultor-making the insult not an insult but a statemeent that the insultee is agreeing with. Thus the insultor has not only won by getting to insult, but got the insultee to AGREE with him on it!!

I still do not see how this is a clever turn around of an insult back to the insultor.

I know several less self-deprecating ways do do that without having to AGREE with the insult.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Timeline
How does that "turn the insult back to the insult giver"? It has the insultee AGREE with the insultor-making the insult not an insult but a statemeent that the insultee is agreeing with. Thus the insultor has not only won by getting to insult, but got the insultee to AGREE with him on it!!

*head explodes*

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
Thanks for the links Marilyn, I can't see them at work though.

So did it start with the Three Stooges then? That must be why I don't find it funny. :lol:

I did quote the pertinent info from the links... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

*head explodes*

I can draw a diagram... :lol:

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I still do not see how this is a clever turn around of an insult back to the insultor.

I know several less self-deprecating ways do do that without having to AGREE with the insult.

essentially downplaying the importance of the insult

if you called me a perv, i'd not be insulted :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I remember Garfield the cat saying it....

I've only ever heard it used in a funny way. Yes, you are partly agreeing with the "insult", but to me it's lighthearted...a way to be able to laugh at yourself, which I think is healthy.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony