BigCityDave

If my K1 doesn't work, will the DCF be a better option?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I am willing to do whatever it takes so I can be with my sweetheart. Even if that means I need to live in Hungary for 6 months. If for some reason my K1 doesn't work, can I go to Hungary and live there for 6 months and almost be guaranteed that she can come back with me on a DCF if I do the filing correctly?

Thanks

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey everyone,

I am willing to do whatever it takes so I can be with my sweetheart. Even if that means I need to live in Hungary for 6 months. If for some reason my K1 doesn't work, can I go to Hungary and live there for 6 months and almost be guaranteed that she can come back with me on a DCF if I do the filing correctly?

Thanks

A better option than what? DCF is for married people both "residing" abroad for however long the Consulate requires. You aren't married and don't reside in Hungary.

Is therer some actual reason you are worried about your visa process "working out"?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Hey everyone,

Thanks

A better option than what? DCF is for married people both "residing" abroad for however long the Consulate requires. You aren't married and don't reside in Hungary.

Is therer some actual reason you are worried about your visa process "working out"?

Well no pushbrk, I am saying that if it didn't work I wuld go and live in Hungary for 6 months to get my residency so DCF could be a possibility.

Really I have no reason to think we would be denied the K1 visa. We have no issues with Visas in the past, well she was denied a Visiting Visa back in september, but that was because she didn't own a house and have lots of money. I am hoping this time around it will be a different story.

We have no problems with Crime, Illegal stays, anything like that so I am really just worried that by a fluke she won't get the Visa or pass the interview.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's not any more 'guaranteed' than the K-1. In some ways there's more to prove! Issues like domicile and the fact that you are doing aos at the same time add more to the process when you are doing DCF.

DCF isn't any easier.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Yes and no. It is easier no doubt once you get here because there is no AOS. I dunno, I didn't think the process was that difficult. Domicle is easy to prove. Just slap down a relative's address in the US where you will be going when you come back and file your taxes. I didn't do any more than that. The interview was a joke. Maybe Frankfurt is just the laziest Embassy out there. No idea.

At any rate, what would you do in Hungary for six months? Do you know what they require to marry there? Do you know how you would get a permit to stay? Do you speak Hungarian? Do you have any interest in Hungary outside your fiance? How much would it cost to liquidate your life here and restart it again for 6 months? Most people have other reasons for being abroad than they want to file DCF. I am not sure I would recommend moving over there for that reason alone. Seems like a lot of hassle outside of USCIS for USCIS. Stick with the K-1.

Timeline
Yes and no. It is easier no doubt once you get here because there is no AOS. I dunno, I didn't think the process was that difficult. Domicle is easy to prove. Just slap down a relative's address in the US where you will be going when you come back and file your taxes. I didn't do any more than that. The interview was a joke. Maybe Frankfurt is just the laziest Embassy out there. No idea.

At any rate, what would you do in Hungary for six months? Do you know what they require to marry there? Do you know how you would get a permit to stay? Do you speak Hungarian? Do you have any interest in Hungary outside your fiance? How much would it cost to liquidate your life here and restart it again for 6 months? Most people have other reasons for being abroad than they want to file DCF. I am not sure I would recommend moving over there for that reason alone. Seems like a lot of hassle outside of USCIS for USCIS. Stick with the K-1.

I must live there for two months in order to marry, I am sure that I can get the permit to stay without any problems. I speak fluent Hungarian, and I could attend a university in Hungary and do an internship for one semester and then stay and work for an extra two months.

I just want a backup plan in case my k1 fails. Which I am hoping can be the DCF.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your one month in with many many more to go... It is good to understand your options but don't worry so much... Most I-129f's are approved. If your fiancee's visa application is denied it has to be for cause... If you do not "cure" this cause a new visa type will not necessarily be any more successful... Relax until you know something and can resolve it....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline
Your one month in with many many more to go... It is good to understand your options but don't worry so much... Most I-129f's are approved. If your fiancee's visa application is denied it has to be for cause... If you do not "cure" this cause a new visa type will not necessarily be any more successful... Relax until you know something and can resolve it....

The cause was because she doesn't have a lot of money.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Her financial resources are of no concern to the consulate... only the USC's are considered

YMMV

Dave, you really need to stop and take a breath.

Just reading your posts is stressing me out!

I know you are scared and concerned about getting her here....I know you want that more than anything.

You need to face the obstacles when they come.

You just filed, wait and see how it goes.

Take each step as it comes.

Over thinking this thing to death is just causing you more grief.

I know you are worried about money. You will work it out, even if you have to push back the interview a few months so that it gives you enough time to finish school and then get a job where you are making the 125%.

Please try and stay calm. Don't give yourself this added pressure on an already stressful process.

~Laura

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Fwaguy is talking about the K1 visa, not he visitor visa. It's apples and tigers.

Spouse and fiance visas are most commonly denied due to bona fide relationship issues. Living abroad as a married couple pretty much negates any issues with bona fides but it sounds like you don't have any such issues. Don't worry unnecessarily.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.