shikarnov

Cats?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All,

When I next return stateside, I plan to bring my cat with me in preparation for the final move. I found lots of info online about the Federal regulations, but all noted that animal imports are subject to state-level rules and regulations. So does anybody know what the scoop is for New York/JFK? If I follow the Federal regs, will I be okay? Or is there more to do for the local officials?

Thanks!

Z

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Did your K (for Kitty) Visa get approved? :lol: Sorry could not help it. :jest:

From The CDC:

Cats

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.

All pet cats arriving in the state of Hawaii and the territory of Guam, even from the U.S. mainland, are subject to locally imposed quarantine requirements.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

From The CDC:

Cats

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.

All pet cats arriving in the state of Hawaii and the territory of Guam, even from the U.S. mainland, are subject to locally imposed quarantine requirements.

http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AI/Part65.pdf

new york state, as usual, has stricter laws.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

The CDC needs to update their site! They only point out Hawaii and Guam as having special requirements!

Maybe chose a different airport and avoid the hassle.

From The CDC:

Cats

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, they only say that Hawaii and Guam require quarantine, which is a bigger deal than a health certificate. Basically the cdc is just saying what the federal requirement is and that it varies from state to state, so the site is correct. I think most states require rabies vaccination for both cats and dogs, even though the gov't only requires it for dogs.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/ here's all the states

The CDC needs to update their site! They only point out Hawaii and Guam as having special requirements!

Maybe chose a different airport and avoid the hassle.

From The CDC:

Cats

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So would proof of all these vaccinations have to be certified and translated just like for a human? It seems like if you fly into California it is the same rule as for the federal. Possible quarantine if the cat looks unhealthy with no vaccinations. Aeroflot allows cats up to 8 kilos into the cabin and charges extra. I honestly thought it would be a much bigger hassle, like getting all the vaccinations done, translated, certified, etc...and paying on every end of the way.

http://www.redtape.ru/forum/archive/index.php/t-12550.html Aerolfot

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/Cats_Dogs.html California

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm Federal

Timeline

There are also rules of each airline to contend with. Some will not allow more than 2 in the cabin per flight. This must be pre-arranged. If in the cabin, carrier must fit under the seat. If in cargo, there are weather conditions to be considered. Make sure you check with them.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Timeline

I guess it is more of a hassle, finally found it:

http://www.aeroflot.ru/eng/info.asp?ob_no=769&d_no=6402

"In order to take a pet on the flight, you must receive a veterinary certificate at a state veterinary clinic as well as an authorization to take your pet abroad."

Timeline

Call me MR GRINCH, but all this is exactly why I ruled out any importation of pets from the start, I bet by the time everything is complied with, it would cost nearly as much as flying a child over.

I have a friend who did this exact thing (Not from FSU) and the damn cat ran out the door on the second day and was never seen again.

:wacko:

What is airfare Russia-USA these days for a cat?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

I'm with you! My fiancée mentioned it once on a "what if" we were to get one... I said, if you get an animal in Russia it will be staying in Russia. There are enough headaches bringing you here. The last thing I need is more!

Call me MR GRINCH, but all this is exactly why I ruled out any importation of pets from the start, I bet by the time everything is complied with, it would cost nearly as much as flying a child over.

I have a friend who did this exact thing (Not from FSU) and the damn cat ran out the door on the second day and was never seen again.

:wacko:

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

Cat can travel with the checked baggage if inside a proper carrier, but it is a real long flight to lock up Kitty! (and lets hope baggage doesn't get delayed!)

The baggage compartment is air pressured and has the same climate as the cabin and probably has some minimal lighting for pets, stoaways, etc.

I have seen people check a pet onto an airline, but I already have a cat in the U.S.A. and I don't want to see WWII when they meet each other!

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks to everybody for their replies so far... And thanks for that PDF from New York State...

Are there any attorneys, law students, or just people well versed in legalese around that can decode this?

So speaketh NY Dept of Agriculture & Markets:

--

§ 65.5

Dogs or cats exempt from the health certificate requirement.

Dogs or cats passing through the State of New York to points beyond, dogs or cats

which are brought into the State of New York for temporary residence for purposes of

exhibition, and dogs or cats which enter the State of New York for delivery to

research institutions, dealers or other persons registered or licensed and regulated by

the United States Department of Agriculture pursuant to the provisions of U.S. Public

Law 89-544, as amended, are exempt from the provisions of this Part, provided that

such dogs or cats are at all times properly restrained and under the immediate control

of the owner or custodian; that such dogs or cats are accompanied with proof of

proper immunization against rabies: and that those dogs or cats entering the State of

New York pursuant to U.S. Public Law 89-544, as amended, remain subject to its

provisions..

Does this mean, since I'm not a NY resident, that I don't have to jump through the health certificate hoops (getting it, then getting it translated, then getting it notarized, mailing a copy to the Animal Industry director, etc) since my cat will obviously be living with me outside NY? Does landing at JFK and then hitching a ride with a friend to Massachusetts count as "passing through the State of NY to points beyond?" If so, do you think the customs agent will be so well versed about the law?

Think they'll get pissed if I have all the laws printed out in front of me just in case they give me a hard time?

And, while I'd love to leave the cat here in Russia, I just can't do it. Ira's family has some strange ideas regarding the care of cats (eg, the cats fend for themselves), and since the cat is declawed, I'm pretty confident that leaving him behind will be a death sentence. My cat, while Russian born, is most definitely a pampered American. He wouldn't have a clue how to hunt for food, defend himself, or any other skills he'd need being an outdoor cat. And nevermind the expense of feeding him, buying litter for him, taking him to the vet. I could never ask people who work twice more than I do, and earn 20 times less, to take on that kind of burden...

Besides all that, I'd miss the little guy sleeping on my lap while I work every day. Nope, that cat's got to come with me.

Z

Timeline

Z, we all have diff priorities, if yours is your cat, certainly nothing wrong with that, I am just happy for your sake you don't have a pet horse :)

I would absolutely print out that law and be sure to include the regulation/ statute number.

Never openly "challenge" the person at JFK but rather start off as if; you based your actions on this law you researched and here is a copy of it.

It's not like shipping a cat is a rare thing, perhaps you could call that dept. at JFK and ask them the rule (always get the name of the person you speak to).

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, it looks like as long as your cat is in a proper carrier, has had its rabies shots (and has proof) and is not staying in New York you shouldn't have to meet the NYS criteria.

Good for you for bringing your cat, as well. I had six that I moved down with me from Canada (five now). My husband knew that if he wanted me, he had to take the cats as well - it wasn't negotiable. Good luck on your journey.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Well, since we're on cat stories.....

My wife had three cats back home where she lived with her mother in a flat on the 10th floor. I'd call her sometimes and she'd tell me about her cats and how they were doing, how they'd play or be lazy or pi$$ on the television set or whatever her mischievious cats would be doing.

So several years ago I call one day and she's telling me one of her cats is sitting with her and I ask how they're doing. She said "we now have only two cats." I ask why and she replies "because our one cat, he play on balcony and see birds. When he jump up to catch birds he flyyyyyyy from balcony off 10 floor."

OMG!!! "Is he dead?"

"We don't know because we not find him."

A few weeks go by and I forget about the flying cat. Even if I would've remembered there's no way I was going to bring that up! We're talking about something and she tells me, "My mother before find our cat who fly from 10 floor. He stay in basement and walk like hurt leg but he is alive and she bring back home and now he live very easy life because he still little bit hurt."

"Holy Shnikies! Did you say your cat that jumped from the 10th floor balcony..... survived?"

"Uh huh."

I guess he's down to only eight lives.

But wait, there's more! A year or so later I call and she tells me the stupid cat jumped up to catch some birds and flew off the 10th floor again! Gotta be dead this time for sure. Nope! Down to seven lives. Mama rehabbed him back to health and the next summer, one more time. So, it's become somewhat of a tradition for the old cat. Every summer he jumps off the balcony, falls 10 floors, breaks a couple bones and then heals up for a year and does it again.

By my count, he should only have about five years left.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.