shikarnov

Cats?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Well, since we're on cat stories.....

My wife had three cats back home where she lived with her mother in a flat on the 10th floor. I'd call her sometimes and she'd tell me about her cats and how they were doing, how they'd play or be lazy or pi$$ on the television set or whatever her mischievious cats would be doing.

So several years ago I call one day and she's telling me one of her cats is sitting with her and I ask how they're doing. She said "we now have only two cats." I ask why and she replies "because our one cat, he play on balcony and see birds. When he jump up to catch birds he flyyyyyyy from balcony off 10 floor."

OMG!!! "Is he dead?"

"We don't know because we not find him."

A few weeks go by and I forget about the flying cat. Even if I would've remembered there's no way I was going to bring that up! We're talking about something and she tells me, "My mother before find our cat who fly from 10 floor. He stay in basement and walk like hurt leg but he is alive and she bring back home and now he live very easy life because he still little bit hurt."

"Holy Shnikies! Did you say your cat that jumped from the 10th floor balcony..... survived?"

"Uh huh."

I guess he's down to only eight lives.

But wait, there's more! A year or so later I call and she tells me the stupid cat jumped up to catch some birds and flew off the 10th floor again! Gotta be dead this time for sure. Nope! Down to seven lives. Mama rehabbed him back to health and the next summer, one more time. So, it's become somewhat of a tradition for the old cat. Every summer he jumps off the balcony, falls 10 floors, breaks a couple bones and then heals up for a year and does it again.

By my count, he should only have about five years left.

Wow! I've read about cats surviving 6-story falls, but not 10-story.

My SO's cat has never pi$$ed on the television set... she prefers just pi$$ing on shoes, including my favorite pair...

Первый блин комом.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs have that ability to do the Road Runner "go over the edge of the cliff, spin the wheels a little, and then get back" thing.

Cats are like Wile E. Coyote.... bye, bye! (But then they can get back up and appear in the next episode.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I flew my two cats with me from the UK. I booked them so that they could fly with me in the cabin (one cat per person, limited to two cats per flight). To ensure you manage to get a place for kitty with you, you must book it at the same time as you book your ticket.

I flew with Delta airlines and the cost was $30 per cat, NOT the price of a seat.

I didn't need a fit to fly certificate or a rabies jab for them. Rabies jabs are not a requirement to enter the US but are a requirement to be done after you have arrived in your new home. So basically, you fly in with kitty and then make an appointment with your local vet once you have arrived at your new home.

I have some correspondence between myself and the CDC that I can post - if that helps at all. I must stress though that I flew in Cincinnati not JFK, so perhaps to avoid all the hassles associated with that airport (and NY state) it might be a good idea to fly in to an alternative airport instead, if possible. ;)

Btw, my cats were fine during the journey, just settled down and slept with no accidents. Russia however is further away so I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons. How old is the cat, is there anyone who could look after the cat should you leave it behind, does it have a heart condition and so on. I am 100% sure that I made the right decision in bringing my cats with me. :thumbs:

Edited by Mags

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I flew my two cats with me from the UK. I booked them so that they could fly with me in the cabin (one cat per person, limited to two cats per flight). To ensure you manage to get a place for kitty with you, you must book it at the same time as you book your ticket.

I flew with Delta airlines and the cost was $30 per cat, NOT the price of a seat.

I didn't need a fit to fly certificate or a rabies jab for them. Rabies jabs are not a requirement to enter the US but are a requirement to be done after you have arrived in your new home. So basically, you fly in with kitty and then make an appointment with your local vet once you have arrived at your new home.

I have some correspondence between myself and the CDC that I can post - if that helps at all. I must stress though that I flew in Cincinnati not JFK, so perhaps to avoid all the hassles associated with that airport (and NY state) it might be a good idea to fly in to an alternative airport instead, if possible. ;)

Btw, my cats were fine during the journey, just settled down and slept with no accidents. Russia however is further away so I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons. How old is the cat, is there anyone who could look after the cat should you leave it behind, does it have a heart condition and so on. I am 100% sure that I made the right decision in bringing my cats with me. :thumbs:

How many cats did you fly over with? I know you have 7 now but I always imagined you tottering off the plane with 5 cat carriers! :lol:

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

You didn't need a rabies vaccination for your cat before coming to the US because there is no rabies in the UK. Animals coming from other countries DO need this vaccination/health stuff.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

How many cats did you fly over with? I know you have 7 now but I always imagined you tottering off the plane with 5 cat carriers! :lol:

I brought two over, my son flew with me, hence I was able to bring both of them in the cabin with me. I had 5 suitcases, 2 cats and a 12 year old. NEVER again! :lol:

You didn't need a rabies vaccination for your cat before coming to the US because there is no rabies in the UK. Animals coming from other countries DO need this vaccination/health stuff.

Well, all the information I read wasn't UK based, nor was it only regarding imports from the UK - it was worldwide. However, I always support the OP of each question doing their own research as well as reading stuff on forums. Find these things out officially; anectdotal evidence is great for finding out snippets but you can't beat getting it from the horses mouth. ;)

I emailed the CDC and the people responsible for all the import laws for information specific to ME. I suggest that the OP does the same for clear clarification and peace of mind. :)

Edited by Mags

Timeline

i just know for that for dogs rabies vaccinations are required for nearly every country at least one month prior to pet's arrival in the US, except for the UK due to the no-rabies thing.

I brought two over, my son flew with me, hence I was able to bring both of them in the cabin with me. I had 5 suitcases, 2 cats and a 12 year old. NEVER again! :lol:

Well, all the information I read wasn't UK based, nor was it only regarding imports from the UK - it was worldwide. However, I always support the OP of each question doing their own research as well as reading stuff on forums. Find these things out officially; anectdotal evidence is great for finding out snippets but you can't beat getting it from the horses mouth. ;)

I emailed the CDC and the people responsible for all the import laws for information specific to ME. I suggest that the OP does the same for clear clarification and peace of mind. :)

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

and also while federal law doesn't require it (just dogs), most STATES require it for cats. it is NEVER required for UK cats and dogs prior to arrival. Russian cats, however, need it for most states.

i just know for that for dogs rabies vaccinations are required for nearly every country at least one month prior to pet's arrival in the US, except for the UK due to the no-rabies thing.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I flew my two cats with me from the UK.

I flew with Delta airlines

I have some correspondence between myself and the CDC

I flew in[to] Cincinnati, [Ohio]

These are the key four things in your post which make your situation only applicable to the facts you presented.

1. You flew from the UK. Other countries can control the export of pets in anyway shape or form. Ranging from NO cats fly to unusual requirements and outrageous costs.

2. Any other airline besides Delta can have different policy for flying cats on their planes - again ranging from NO to unusually difficult requirements and outrageous costs.

3-4. CDC is binding as to federal standards. However, states can and do impose stricter standards. Some states have adopted the CDC standard; others can make you bring in a health history more detailed then for a human.

Timeline
I flew my two cats with me from the UK.

I flew with Delta airlines

I have some correspondence between myself and the CDC

I flew in[to] Cincinnati, [Ohio]

These are the key four things in your post which make your situation only applicable to the facts you presented.

1. You flew from the UK. Other countries can control the export of pets in anyway shape or form. Ranging from NO cats fly to unusual requirements and outrageous costs.

2. Any other airline besides Delta can have different policy for flying cats on their planes - again ranging from NO to unusually difficult requirements and outrageous costs.

3-4. CDC is binding as to federal standards. However, states can and do impose stricter standards. Some states have adopted the CDC standard; others can make you bring in a health history more detailed then for a human.

Dude, it was anecdotal experience that I felt like sharing. ;) As I mentioned in my follow up post (see below), it is always important for anyone wishing to fly animals in from different countries to find out info from official sources and not just a message board. :)

However, I always support the OP of each question doing their own research as well as reading stuff on forums. Find these things out officially; anectdotal evidence is great for finding out snippets but you can't beat getting it from the horses mouth. ;)

Edited by Mags

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Well, since we're on cat stories.....

My wife had three cats back home where she lived with her mother in a flat on the 10th floor. I'd call her sometimes and she'd tell me about her cats and how they were doing, how they'd play or be lazy or pi$$ on the television set or whatever her mischievious cats would be doing.

So several years ago I call one day and she's telling me one of her cats is sitting with her and I ask how they're doing. She said "we now have only two cats." I ask why and she replies "because our one cat, he play on balcony and see birds. When he jump up to catch birds he flyyyyyyy from balcony off 10 floor."

OMG!!! "Is he dead?"

"We don't know because we not find him."

A few weeks go by and I forget about the flying cat. Even if I would've remembered there's no way I was going to bring that up! We're talking about something and she tells me, "My mother before find our cat who fly from 10 floor. He stay in basement and walk like hurt leg but he is alive and she bring back home and now he live very easy life because he still little bit hurt."

"Holy Shnikies! Did you say your cat that jumped from the 10th floor balcony..... survived?"

"Uh huh."

I guess he's down to only eight lives.

But wait, there's more! A year or so later I call and she tells me the stupid cat jumped up to catch some birds and flew off the 10th floor again! Gotta be dead this time for sure. Nope! Down to seven lives. Mama rehabbed him back to health and the next summer, one more time. So, it's become somewhat of a tradition for the old cat. Every summer he jumps off the balcony, falls 10 floors, breaks a couple bones and then heals up for a year and does it again.

By my count, he should only have about five years left.

this is not unusual... Russians are BIG CAT LOWERS :) my cat jumped / fell out of the window at least 3 times... :luv::lol:

Edited by katya_and_besik

F1 > GC

AOS Timeline

September 24, 2007 - Sent the package to Chicago

September 26, 2007 - Package received

October 2, 2007 - Checks cashed, NOA1 for I-130/131/485/765

October 19,2007 - Biometrics done (Woodside, New York)

December 3,2007 - i-131 and i-765 approved

January 23,2008 - Interview - sucessful

January 28,2008 - Email - Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident

aFu_KittenChick.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I wasn't sure if I should update this thread or begin a new one with a different topic that would make the notice easier to see, but I wanted to let you all know that if you're going to fly with cats, don't fly Delta. Instead, fly Aeroflot.

The regulations for the two airlines are fairly similar (two cats maximum in the cabin, need to have proof of a rabies vaccine, and a general health certificate which can be gotten at SVO and is good for 24 hours). Where they differ is in the size and location of the carrier.

Delta will allow you to bring your cat onboard only if s/he weighs less than 10lbs. Then the cat must stay within a very small carrier (something like this), and must stay under the seat at all times. I wrote to Delta to ask if I could buy an extra seat and keep a larger carrier on that seat. Their reply was a big fat NO.

So, I had Ira call Aeroflot to find out their policies. Keep in mind that I hate Aeroflot, and normally I'd rather stop in Frankfurt and London switching planes on the way to JFK, but that's just not feasible with a cat in tow. Anyway... Aeroflot has no problem with larger carriers. If the carrier doesn't fit under the seat, we can keep it on our lap, or buy a seat just for the cat. In fact, Aeroflot went out of their way to stress that the cat should be in a carrier large enough to stand up and turn around in. Who would imagine the Russian airline treating animals more humanely than the American.

Anyway, so when Ira and I finally head back stateside together at the end of April (God Willing), we'll be wearing our parachutes while flying Aeroflot.

Z

Who would imagine the Russian airline treating animals more humanely than the American.

Yeah, usually American airlines are more concerned with FAA rules and pre-flight safety inspections and all that nonsense.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.