Trumplestiltskin

Tom Cruise Scientology Interview

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Most of the fanatics in the world belong to two major religions, neither of which is scientology.

Also, you don't HAVE to pay to be a Catholic, but they definitely suggest that you put a little money in that collection tray being passed around. Don't even get me started on televangelists.

As far as kidnapping, torturing, and killing people, scientology never burned a witch. Scientology never tried to wipe out every non-scientologist.

If you are going to pass judgement on Scientology, you better be willing do the same for every religion in the world. Otherwise, you are living in blind faith.

The 'definitely suggest' bit is puzzling. They pass around a basket...it's an asking for contributions. There's no 'definitely suggest' They don't kick you out of the church if you don't pay. The priest doesn't show a badly concealed weapon while making a veiled threat for cash.

But they also ask for canned goods during food drives. Is that a 'definite suggestion' too? :lol:

But either way...even if you were correct, is that anywhere remotely similar to withholding 'faith teachings' for cash? Uhhhh, no it's not, thanks for posting.

edit for typos

Edited by LisaD

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Scientology isn't a credible organisation, and its belief system is rather suspect. So relativising it with and comparing it to the major religions is a tad laughable, not least as pointed out - that Scientology seems to involve some sort of financial grifting of its members (or potential members); as well as the weird pseudo-scientific props they use.

Otherwise there would be essentially be no difference between any of the major religions and the likes of the Heaven's Gate cult, Branch Davidians or even the Manson family.

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
Well you could look it up yourself.

I know what it means but I wanted to see if you were using it correctly or if you thought it meant something else. So basically, in your opinion, it's OK to claim a religion but to actually follow its teachings is extreme and cult-like?

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
people should be allowed to believe in whatever they want. I strongly believe cats are from another planet.

I don't know, I mean, what about the other cults that have results in mass suicides? Obviously you can't stop people from believing in crazy things, but shouldn't their be some legislation against people being taken advantage of (brainwashed, threatened, etc) by organizations?

Sure, the same day they make a legislation that will condone people who kill their own kids as part of some religion sacrifice.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
Most of the fanatics in the world belong to two major religions, neither of which is scientology.

Also, you don't HAVE to pay to be a Catholic, but they definitely suggest that you put a little money in that collection tray being passed around. Don't even get me started on televangelists.

As far as kidnapping, torturing, and killing people, scientology never burned a witch. Scientology never tried to wipe out every non-scientologist.

If you are going to pass judgement on Scientology, you better be willing do the same for every religion in the world. Otherwise, you are living in blind faith.

The 'definitely suggest' bit is puzzling. They pass around a basket...it's an asking for contributions. There's no 'definitely suggest' They don't kick you out of the church if you don't pay. The priest doesn't show a badly concealed weapon while making a veiled threat for cash.

But they also ask for canned goods during food drives. Is that a 'definite suggestion' too? :lol:

But either way...even if you were correct, is that anywhere remotely similar to withholding 'faith teachings' for cash? Uhhhh, no it's not, thanks for posting.

edit for typos

A friend of mine used to be a member of a church and pay her tithes regularly and on time. When she got sick and didn't show up for a couple of Sundays, the church sent her a letter in the mail. She opened it, expecting it to be a get well card or possibly inquiring about her health but she found a bill inside it stating that they haven't recieved her tithes for a few weeks and she could mail them in :lol:

Edited by Alhamdulillah

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Which isn't really funny in many ways. I am sure we can all pass that off as an administrative error, but the point is, where was the pastor/minister when she got sick?

Personally, I do think there is a difference between the way that the established churches operate and these newer evangelical and cult type organisations. However, for me, there's no getting past the fact that a.) organised religion is very manipulative of its members with an 'us' and 'them' mentality and b.) that money becomes more important than the message when an organisation becomes large. One wonders for instance, just how much money is within the grasp of the Catholic church and just how it justifies its wealth in terms of the teachings of the New Testament in particular.

That being said, cults that make exiting their organisation extremely difficult, extort money from their adherents and use 'brain washing' type techniques are abhorrent and I would have no difficulty in having them outlawed. Proving that they are so might be tricky though.

That always happens when I want to make a) and B) points.

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Well you could look it up yourself.

I know what it means but I wanted to see if you were using it correctly or if you thought it meant something else. So basically, in your opinion, it's OK to claim a religion but to actually follow its teachings is extreme and cult-like?

Well the question is one of degrees really. As I say a lot depends on the character of the organisation itself, and of the members it attracts. Hence, for example - any comparison between moderate Xians and say, Heaven's Gate or the Branch Davidians would be rather inaccurate. Not to mention insulting, IMO.

That said there's a pretty big gulf between branches of Xianity. As I say, the whole televangelism thing - with stuff like the mathematical codes stuff, megachurch faith healing and crying in tongues is completely alien to me and at least from a spectator's point of view looks rather unhealthy. Beyond that - it clearly is unhealthy if you're being asked to fork over huge sums of money in dubious tithes that you don't ever receive the benefit of, while the minister shows up on sunday in a new Lexus.

I don't think religion in itself is primitive - only that some groups attract desperate and primitive people .

Edited by Number 6

people should be allowed to believe in whatever they want. I strongly believe cats are from another planet.

I don't know, I mean, what about the other cults that have results in mass suicides? Obviously you can't stop people from believing in crazy things, but shouldn't their be some legislation against people being taken advantage of (brainwashed, threatened, etc) by organizations?

Sure, the same day they make a legislation that will condone people who kill their own kids as part of some religion sacrifice.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I was just saying there should be some legislative protection for people against these types of things so I'm not sure how that relates to legislation condoning child sacrifice?

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought this was kind of funny... it is a parody of the Tom Cruise Interview by Jerry O'Connell

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3f716ffebe

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

I thought this as kind of funny... it is a parody of the Tom Cruise Interview by Jerry O'Connell

I saw that yesterday, and wanted to post it but couldn't find this thread. It is just too funny! :lol::lol:

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I thought this as kind of funny... it is a parody of the Tom Cruise Interview by Jerry O'Connell

I saw that yesterday, and wanted to post it but couldn't find this thread. It is just too funny! :lol::lol:

-P

this is funny too :lol:

these are the outtakes...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d16e5ce0fb

:lol: he has Tom's laugh down pat... it is almost spooky...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

-P

this is funny too :lol:

these are the outtakes...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d16e5ce0fb

:lol: he has Tom's laugh down pat... it is almost spooky...

That's awesome! :lol: I'll bet Tom will never be in a film with Jerry.

Thanks for the "out-takes" clip...gave me a good chuckle. But yes...that laugh (both Tom's and Jerry's) is freaky. :energetic: :energetic: :energetic: :energetic:

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I know this thread is old but I just saw this picture and had to add it in!

removing_thetan_bodies.jpg

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!