nscvet

N-400 January Filers

233 posts in this topic

We're DONE! Lucy is a US Citizen!

Prelude: Our two year old daughter chose last night to get her first real stomach virus. She was vomiting from 9:00pm until 4:00am. She's fine now, thanks. We called the doctor's office, and the nurse said a stomach virus had been going around a lot, gave a list of things to watch out for, but said that it would probably have to run its course. It did, and she bounced back well today, but we were all a bit bleary-eyed during the ceremony from lack of sleep. Our daughter stayed home with her aunt during the ceremony.

The ceremony was held at the San Francisco Masonic Center. There were 1451 new citizens naturalized at the ceremony, representing 103 countries. Ours was the afternoon ceremony, the second ceremony of the day there, with an approximately equal number of new citizens sworn in during the morning ceremony earlier that day.

It was sometimes humorous and sometimes moving. The man doing the officiating was a USCIS official. Among other things, he said something to the effect of "The US becomes a better place due to your contributions to our country. Thank you for becoming US Citizens", but he said it in six different languages. English, Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, French, and Tagalog. I can vouch that his English and Spanish pronunciation were excellent, and others around me were amazed at his abilities in their native tongues.

A couple of practical notes, which may or may not apply to those of you going through your ceremonies soon in San Francisco. You can invite as many friends, family, and guests as you like, but they must sit up in the balcony. All the new citizens sit on the floor. Applicants are assigned a seating section, and they fill the sections from the front to back, so you don't get to choose where you sit. If you arrive early, the applicant gets to sit up near the front of the section, and the guests get their choice of anywhere in the balcony.

They gave a passport application at the interview awhile back, along with an envelope and basic instructions. They'd accept the passport applications immediately after the ceremony. What they didn't tell us until today is that 1) The fees have changed, so you've got to write out a different check during the ceremony. 2) The passport form is unique and different, so they couldn't accept a downloaded DS-11 on that day, nor could you use the form they gave at the interview if you wanted to apply for a passport later, and 3) Despite what the instructions said, they weren't accepting applications for passport cards, only passport books. The crowds handing in passport applications were enormous, probably at least 1000 of the 1451 applicants were submitting their applications that day. Lucy's going to apply for her passport tomorrow morning.

Similarly, voter registration lines were long and crazy, and we figure there's no huge rush to register. She'll register by mail well in advance of the next election.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Prelude: Our two year old daughter chose last night to get her first real stomach virus. She was vomiting from 9:00pm until 4:00am. She's fine now, thanks. We called the doctor's office, and the nurse said a stomach virus had been going around a lot, gave a list of things to watch out for, but said that it would probably have to run its course. It did, and she bounced back well today, but we were all a bit bleary-eyed during the ceremony from lack of sleep. Our daughter stayed home with her aunt during the ceremony.

The ceremony was held at the San Francisco Masonic Center. There were 1451 new citizens naturalized at the ceremony, representing 103 countries. Ours was the afternoon ceremony, the second ceremony of the day there, with an approximately equal number of new citizens sworn in during the morning ceremony earlier that day.

It was sometimes humorous and sometimes moving. The man doing the officiating was a USCIS official. Among other things, he said something to the effect of "The US becomes a better place due to your contributions to our country. Thank you for becoming US Citizens", but he said it in six different languages. English, Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, French, and Tagalog. I can vouch that his English and Spanish pronunciation were excellent, and others around me were amazed at his abilities in their native tongues.

A couple of practical notes, which may or may not apply to those of you going through your ceremonies soon in San Francisco. You can invite as many friends, family, and guests as you like, but they must sit up in the balcony. All the new citizens sit on the floor. Applicants are assigned a seating section, and they fill the sections from the front to back, so you don't get to choose where you sit. If you arrive early, the applicant gets to sit up near the front of the section, and the guests get their choice of anywhere in the balcony.

They gave a passport application at the interview awhile back, along with an envelope and basic instructions. They'd accept the passport applications immediately after the ceremony. What they didn't tell us until today is that 1) The fees have changed, so you've got to write out a different check during the ceremony. 2) The passport form is unique and different, so they couldn't accept a downloaded DS-11 on that day, nor could you use the form they gave at the interview if you wanted to apply for a passport later, and 3) Despite what the instructions said, they weren't accepting applications for passport cards, only passport books. The crowds handing in passport applications were enormous, probably at least 1000 of the 1451 applicants were submitting their applications that day. Lucy's going to apply for her passport tomorrow morning.

Similarly, voter registration lines were long and crazy, and we figure there's no huge rush to register. She'll register by mail well in advance of the next election.

Congrats, Rich - that is wonderful.

Yes, congrats. We should be posting the same very soon and can finally put the USCIS in the rearview mirror for good!

Marilyn and Peter.

K-1 Timeline in Profile (our story)

Church wedding Sept 18

NOA1's for AOS/EAD received Sept 20 MSC #

Biometrics completed Nov 5 2004

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS appointment letter received Feb 3 2005

AOS interview scheduled for March 9 2005

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

AOS finally approved March 25th 2005

Green card arrives about 10 days later

!!Green card has incorrect middle name!! Thanks USCIS

Travel back to Denver, turn in card and I-90 to correct their mistake.

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

NOA1 for I-90 received from NSC April 18 2005, fee waived

NSC appears to have stoped processing I-90's

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Travel back to Denver July 1, 2005 and received I-551 stamp in the passport.

I forgot to update my details:

Here's my timeline:

1/14/2008 application sent to NSC :)

1/17/2008 application received (PD)

1/22/2008 check cashed :whistle:

1/23/2008 NOA sent

1/28/2008 rcvd NOA. I will be notified within 90 days of notice. :star:

2/4/2008 NOA for biometrics sent

2/15/2008 Biometrics appt :yes:

5/6/2008 IL arrived

7/2/2008 Interview

7/18/2008 Oath Ceremony :star:

7/18/2008 Applied for US passport....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Holy I-797C Batman! The IL came today. I can't believe it. ID is September 24. Some people have been posting that maybe the CIS was attacking the problem from two directions; from July forward with some IOs skipping to apps filed in 2008. Apparently they were correct. We could have filed in Dec, but if we had, I'll bet we would not have received an NOA today. Happy, happy, happy! We finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bob & Mon

Filed: Timeline

Big Congratulations to you ALL ... whooooo hooooo....seems like January 08 filer journey wrap up nicely :jest: the end is here for lucyrich, hotairguy, tunafish and definitely nscvet!!!

Wow!! Finally Los Angeles DO is moving big time and thus the flood of IL (interview letters) is amazing this weekend.... :D :D :D

I am so glad especially for you guys in LA... how frustating.... congrats also to FelizLA who has been waiting for almost a year for IL to arrive in LA DO.

CONGRATULATIONS ... :dance::dance::energy::dancing:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Some people have been posting that maybe the CIS was attacking the problem from two directions; from July forward with some IOs skipping to apps filed in 2008.

It seems that is very likely - my priority date (same office) is four months earlier than yours - yet ID is only 2 weeks earlier!.

Regardless - congratulations!!!!!!! Congrats also to Feliz.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

It's all official now, passport arrived today! The journey is finally over. Good luck to everyone. Hope everything goes quickly and smoothly for all of you.

Here's my timeline:

1/14/2008 application sent to NSC :)

1/17/2008 application received (PD)

1/22/2008 check cashed :whistle:

1/23/2008 NOA sent

1/28/2008 rcvd NOA. I will be notified within 90 days of notice. :star:

2/4/2008 NOA for biometrics sent

2/15/2008 Biometrics appt :yes:

5/6/2008 IL arrived

7/2/2008 Interview

7/18/2008 Oath Ceremony :star:

7/18/2008 Applied for US passport

7/23/2008 US passport arrived in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The journey is finally over. I took the oath today in San Diego and I am now a US citizen! :dance:

The worst part was the line to get in, it was unbelievable. 1700 people and their families. Once inside it was quick and easy.

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting!

Ken & Jenny

I-751

13th Jan 2007 - Mailed I-751 to NSC

18th Jan 2007 - NOA

14th Feb 2007 - Biometrics

29th Jan 2008 - 6 months extension stamp in passport

Waiting.....

N-400

14th Jan 2008 - Mailed N-400 to CSC. I-751 still pending at NSC

15th Jan 2008 - Received at CSC

17th Jan 2008 - Check cashed

16th Jan 2008 - Priority date

22nd Jan 2008 - Notice date

26th Jan 2008 - Biometrics letter received

7th Feb 2008 - Biometrics appointment

28th April 2008 - Interviev Notice received

17th June 2008 - Interview in San Diego - Passed

10th July 2008 - Oath letter received

23rd July 2008 - Oath ceremony Golden Hall San Diego

25th July 2008 - Applied for passport

4th August 2008 - Passport received

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone, congratulations to all the people who have gotten their citizenship!

We finally got the inverview letter! we're scheduled for the interview on Sept 9! woohoo! :)

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : Las Vegas NV

Date Filed : 2008-02-10

NOA Date : 2008-02-22

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-05

Int. Letter : 2008-07-29

Interview : 2008-09-09

Oath Cer. : 2008-09-15

Hello all,

Another update

1/05/08 - N-400 sent to NSC

1/10/08 - NSC cashes check

1/16/08 - Received NOA1 for N-400. Notice (NOA1) states we should expect to be notified within 450 days. Glad that fee increase gave us the results the USCIS promised!

5/8/08 - FINALLY received biometrics notice for 5/20/08. The USCIS website still does not acknowledge our service center number though and I cannot track any touches or updates. We have also found out that we cannot use the 800 number because it asks for our service center number and since it isn't registered, it hangs up on us.

5/20/08 - Biometrics completed at Denver. In and out in 15 minutes.

6/6/08 - Received interview letter today for Friday, July 11, 2008 @ 10:30am in Denver.

7/11/08 - Marilyn has her interview. Lasts for 17 minutes and she passes with flying colors. 10 for 10 on the questions.

8/5/08 - Received oath ceremony in the mail, appointment is Wednesday August 20th @ 9:15am (Almost done with you USCIS!)

Edited by hotairguy

K-1 Timeline in Profile (our story)

Church wedding Sept 18

NOA1's for AOS/EAD received Sept 20 MSC #

Biometrics completed Nov 5 2004

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS appointment letter received Feb 3 2005

AOS interview scheduled for March 9 2005

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

AOS finally approved March 25th 2005

Green card arrives about 10 days later

!!Green card has incorrect middle name!! Thanks USCIS

Travel back to Denver, turn in card and I-90 to correct their mistake.

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

NOA1 for I-90 received from NSC April 18 2005, fee waived

NSC appears to have stoped processing I-90's

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Travel back to Denver July 1, 2005 and received I-551 stamp in the passport.

Filed: Timeline

my wallet got stolen/or misplaced yesterday. i keep my wallet in my bag, but when i got to school this morning it wasn't there. i looked all over my car and house. emailed all of my class fellows and faculty about it but no show. what do i do now? i've canceled my credit cards and will be getting a new drivers license.

any suggestions?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi everyone, congratulations to all the people who have gotten their citizenship!

We finally got the inverview letter! we're scheduled for the interview on Sept 9! woohoo! :)

congrats will let you know how mine goes.

soswank:

i think you did your best. hopefully you were able to find it.

September 24th, 2008: Passport arrived :)

September 19th, 2008: US passport approved

September 12th, 2008: Oath Ceremony

August 29th, 2008: Oath appointment

August 20th, 2008: Interview appointment

June 21, 2008: NOA for Interview

February 7th, 2008: Biometrics

January 27th, 2008: NOA for Biometrics appointment

January 14th, 2008: Priority Date according to NOA1

January 18th, 2008: Check cashed

January 14th, 2008: Application received by the California Processing Center

January 6th, 2008: Resubmitted application

December 28th, 2007: 4th Wedding Anniversary

December 26th, 2007: Application received by the California Processing Center

December 18th, 2007: Mailed N-400

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Well I had my interview today. It was very pleasant and professional. I was done with it in less then 20 minutes. The interviewer didn't need any of my paper work, or the extra pictures. Told me I should be getting a letter in 2 weeks for the oath ceremony. According to my interviewer I should be taking my oath on the 15th. Will keep everyone posted. Thank you again for all the help.

September 24th, 2008: Passport arrived :)

September 19th, 2008: US passport approved

September 12th, 2008: Oath Ceremony

August 29th, 2008: Oath appointment

August 20th, 2008: Interview appointment

June 21, 2008: NOA for Interview

February 7th, 2008: Biometrics

January 27th, 2008: NOA for Biometrics appointment

January 14th, 2008: Priority Date according to NOA1

January 18th, 2008: Check cashed

January 14th, 2008: Application received by the California Processing Center

January 6th, 2008: Resubmitted application

December 28th, 2007: 4th Wedding Anniversary

December 26th, 2007: Application received by the California Processing Center

December 18th, 2007: Mailed N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.