Ban Hammer

Man killed by steam roller

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

A family watched in horror as a man was killed in an accident with a steam roller as he tried to retrieve his hat.

Tragic Michael Amette had jumped off a trailer being pulled by the roller to grab his beret when he was struck by the huge machine during a charity event.

Several steam engine riders dialled 999 after seeing the 68-year-old man fall from the trailer.

The steam engine fanatic's shocked daughter and grandchildren had been sitting with him in the trailer when he leapt out and hit his head.

Paramedics rushed the man to hospital following the incident in Hitchin Road, Arlesey, Beds.

Doctors at the Lister Hospital battled to save Mr Amette, who lived with his wife at School Lane, Essendon, Hatfield, but he later died from his injuries.

The accident happened during the Bedford Steam Engine Preservation Society's annual Christmas Road Run at around midday on Saturday.

Twelve steam engines and trailers, each carrying between eight and 10 people, were winding their way through the quiet village when Mr Amette leapt from the engine to retrieve his hat.

The steam engine, a 1914 Burrell Road Locomotive, was one of a number taking part in an annual rally organised by enthusiasts.

It is part of a family collection part-owned by Stotfold businessman and local councillor John Saunders.

He said: "I am led to believe that what happened is the chap was with his daughter and son-in-law and his hat has blown off.

"He was told by his daughter and son-in-law to sit down but he still insisted to jump off to retrieve his hat.

"I think then he basically fell. It's as simple as that. No other vehicles were involved. It's a tragic situation."

A spokesman for the Steam Engine Preservation Society said that everyone involved was in shock following the tragic accident.

"Our condolences and deepest sympathies go out to the family at this difficult time," he said.

"The man was seated in a trailer behind the engine and it seems that his hat blew off and he tried to retrieve it when the incident happened.

"Everything was done in the light of the relevant Health and Safety legislation - and his family was with him at the time." Police cordoned off the road for several hours while they launched a probe into the incident. The death was not being treated as suspicious.

Mr Amette's family said he was desperate to retrieve his hat which he would wear everywhere.

"We would like to express our thanks to the society and members who gave so much help following Michael's tragic accident," a statement released by the family said.

"It is difficult for others to understand his motivation on the day but he was attempting to retrieve his much-loved beret. It was his father's traditional French beret and he wore it everywhere.

"In his heart he would have known it was wrong to get off the trailer whilst moving, but sometimes the heart over-rules the head.

"As a member of the steam engine society he loved all the events that took place and would talk enthusiastically about up-coming occasions. He particularly loved the Christmas road run and had attended for the previous five years.

"He would be adamant that Saturday's incident does not affect the spirit and running of future events. He died participating in something he loved."

The Hertfordshire coroner was expected to open an inquest into the death and adjourn it to a date to be arranged.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
That's one way I don't want to die. That and the wood chipper. :shudder:

did you read that book about the airline pilot, his wife and the woodchipper? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh God I am just trembling... steamrollers, rockcrushers, and woodchippers...

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Cheese graters...? That thought makes me cringe.... :blink:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

What, no before and after photos?

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
What, no before and after photos?

here is the after pic

:lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper.

Ever seen the film Fargo?

Direct quote. ;) The Coens are my faves.

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, so much that I misspelled the name. D'oh! My favorite film of all time is the Big Lebowski. Better every single time. But I love the whole canon. No Country for Old Men was SO GOOD. A nearly perfect film.