christinejohn

Documents translations

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I have a question about the documents translation.

It's about the documents I will have to bring with me to the interview and my lawyer told me they need to be translated.

He said they don't need to be done by an approved translator and that he can translate them himself for $400 for less than 10 pages... I don't mind paying but don't want to find out that in fact they need to be translated by an approved translator once I arrive at the interview and have to pay again... I have already paid my lawyer $3,000 for the K-3 process and i'lm the one who tells him what to send and when since he screwed up on the I-129F making us lose 3 months in the process... all that to say he is greedy and I want to be sure I don't need an embassy approved translator first.

If I do, where do I find the list of approved translators? The embassy who will hold the interview will be Fiji for me since I'm in the south pacific.

Thank you for your advice,

Christine.

Christine & John

Met October 2002 in Australia.

04/07/07 Wedding in New Caledonia.

.png

I-130:

05/24/07 I-130 sent to CSC

06/27/07 NOA 1

03/10/08 NOA 2

Our I-130 was approved in 291 days from our filing date.

I-129F:

08/22/07 I-129F sent to CSC

09/04/07 NOA 1

03/10/08 NOA 2

Our I-129F was approved in 201 days from our filing date.

Children's I-130:

01/26/08 I-130 sent to CSC

02/20/08 NOA 1

09/10/08 NOA 2 for two of the children.

09/12/08 NOA 2 for the third child.

03/31/08 Arrival in the U.S.

AOS:

I-485, G-325A, I-765, I-131.

05/29/08 AOS sent for Christine and the children.

06/10/2008 NOA 1

07/01/2008 Biometrics

07/18, 23 and 25/08 Physicals

08/30/08 Employment Authorisation (valid for 1 year)

08/30/08 Authorisation for Parole

11/19/08 SSN (valid for work only)

12/04/08 Initial Interview appointment / Rescheduling requested

02/03/09 Interview appointment / very easy, very nice officer, not too many questions, our evidences were enough

02/03/09 Green Card granted for the four of us

02/16/09 Green Cards arrived in the mail

.png

Filed: Timeline

Translated documents should cost you here in the US about $20-$30 per page. A tenth of that using the overseas providers. WOW@$400 (soooo happy I didnt use a lawyer, nearly every foul-up or rip-off I've seen on this forum has been from lawyers)

The embassy sent us a list of authorized translators when we got our electronic Packet III. The embassy there should provide a list or even list them on their website.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thank you for your answer.

It costs also $30/40 per translated page here where I live.

I checked the Fiji web site and they give a list of authorised translators for French Polynesia only which is not where I live. I'm in Melanesia, in a french sout pacific territory. It's complicated.

On the Fiji embassy's web site they say that translators must be approved by the government, which one? the Fijian one or the one from the country where I live?

It's all so confusing...

Christine & John

Met October 2002 in Australia.

04/07/07 Wedding in New Caledonia.

.png

I-130:

05/24/07 I-130 sent to CSC

06/27/07 NOA 1

03/10/08 NOA 2

Our I-130 was approved in 291 days from our filing date.

I-129F:

08/22/07 I-129F sent to CSC

09/04/07 NOA 1

03/10/08 NOA 2

Our I-129F was approved in 201 days from our filing date.

Children's I-130:

01/26/08 I-130 sent to CSC

02/20/08 NOA 1

09/10/08 NOA 2 for two of the children.

09/12/08 NOA 2 for the third child.

03/31/08 Arrival in the U.S.

AOS:

I-485, G-325A, I-765, I-131.

05/29/08 AOS sent for Christine and the children.

06/10/2008 NOA 1

07/01/2008 Biometrics

07/18, 23 and 25/08 Physicals

08/30/08 Employment Authorisation (valid for 1 year)

08/30/08 Authorisation for Parole

11/19/08 SSN (valid for work only)

12/04/08 Initial Interview appointment / Rescheduling requested

02/03/09 Interview appointment / very easy, very nice officer, not too many questions, our evidences were enough

02/03/09 Green Card granted for the four of us

02/16/09 Green Cards arrived in the mail

.png

They have to be approved by the US Government. That's why you really want to use one from the list on the embassy web-page, and not your shyster.

I had a weird situation because I married overseas. I had to pay translators here in the US that were approved by the INDO government and get them stamped at the INDO Consulate so that they would be accepted over there by Indo authorities.

Then we had to translate HER documents over there by translators approved by the US government.

Thank you for your answer.

It costs also $30/40 per translated page here where I live.

I checked the Fiji web site and they give a list of authorised translators for French Polynesia only which is not where I live. I'm in Melanesia, in a french sout pacific territory. It's complicated.

On the Fiji embassy's web site they say that translators must be approved by the government, which one? the Fijian one or the one from the country where I live?

It's all so confusing...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Hello,

I have a question about the documents translation.

It's about the documents I will have to bring with me to the interview and my lawyer told me they need to be translated.

He said they don't need to be done by an approved translator and that he can translate them himself for $400 for less than 10 pages... I don't mind paying but don't want to find out that in fact they need to be translated by an approved translator once I arrive at the interview and have to pay again... I have already paid my lawyer $3,000 for the K-3 process and i'lm the one who tells him what to send and when since he screwed up on the I-129F making us lose 3 months in the process... all that to say he is greedy and I want to be sure I don't need an embassy approved translator first.

If I do, where do I find the list of approved translators? The embassy who will hold the interview will be Fiji for me since I'm in the south pacific.

Thank you for your advice,

Christine.

Dear Christine,

Sounds to me like you are throwing money at a bad lawyer. You already mention you paid $3,000 for his assistance and have had to instruct him how to file...Are you crazy to pay $400.00 for 10 pages!!!

Why don't you read the instructions for I-129F (page 4).

Translations:

Any document containing foreign language submitted to the Service shallbe accompanied with a full English langauge translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to to translate from the foreign language to English.

This was on the 129F instructions.....So the pertinent documents you submitted with your I-129F forms should have been translated and certified already.

Are you saying your lawyer submitted your foreign language documents with the I-129F without having them translated?

I had my marriage certificate translated at a local travel agency. But then I had to take the original marriage certificate with the translation to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to validate that the translated information was matching the original.

Call the Embassy where you will be processed and ask them what to do. It is cheaper than your lawyer

Edited by Nutty

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your lawyer sounds like a nice piece of work. Documents that are not in English nor in the local foreign language where the embassy is located have to be translated. Also, they can be translated by anybody who is fluent in both languages, this means that even a family member or friend can do the translations and sign the document saying that they are fluent in both languages.

Call the embassy yourself and find out for sure but paying your lawyer another $400 on top of what you've already paid is a total rip off.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreeing with Diana,

You can translate the documents yourself if you are fluent in both languages. My husband translated his documents, no problem.

You'll need:

1. Original document

2. Translated document into English

3. Signed affidavit (notarized if possible) that a) you are fluent (conversant) in both language X and English and B) the document is an accurate translation.

IM me if you'd like more details.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

To prevent further questions, we did exactly what the instructions said, which was pick a translator off the embassy list, drop the documents off, and have them translated. Multiple copies with nice colored official "certified translator" stamps and signatures. Why get into a scrap over certifications, etc, because the same translations with original stamps are needed for AOS filing anyway. Cost (in Asia) was about $3 a page. At the end of the day, the embassy lists where they want translations to come from and deviating from that seemed to us to invite questions at the interview that we didnt want to open up and deal with.

We've had our document check at the embassy BTW, they're approved and sorted and perused and ready for interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

When I submitted our I-130 for my wife, I translated our marriage certificate by myself. At the bottom of the page I dated, signed and certified, under penalty of perjury, that I am competent to translate and that the translation a complete and accurate translation. We'll see if they accept it without using third-party service when I got NOA2.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

2007-07-17 : Marriage

2007-08-14 : I-130 Sent

2007-10-02 : I-130 NOA1

2008-03-06 : I-130 NOA2

NVC

2008-03-18 : NVC Case # Assigned

2008-04-28 : I-864EZ Cleared at NVC

2008-05-19 : NVC Forwarded Case to HCMC

CONSULATE

2008-05-21 : HCMC Received Electronic File

2008-06-05 : Interview Passed!

2008-06-17 : Visa in Hand

US

2008-06-24 : POE - Newark

2008-07-24 : Received Green Card

2008-08-25 : Received SS Card

2010-04-12 : I-751 and Check Sent

2010-04-21 : I-751 NOA Received - 1 Year Extension

2010-08-20 : 10-Year Green Card Arrived

Naturalization

2012-08-27 : File N-400

2012-08-31 : Check Cashed

2012-09-06 : N-400 NOA

2012-09-19 : Biometric Appointment and Fingerprint

2012-10-15 : Receive Naturalization Interview Date

2012-11-19 : Naturalization Interview Completed

2013-01-14 : Oath Letter received

2013-01-16 : Oath Ceremony / Become US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Your lawyer sounds like a nice piece of work. Documents that are not in English nor in the local foreign language where the embassy is located have to be translated. Also, they can be translated by anybody who is fluent in both languages, this means that even a family member or friend can do the translations and sign the document saying that they are fluent in both languages.

Call the embassy yourself and find out for sure but paying your lawyer another $400 on top of what you've already paid is a total rip off.

Diana

Whoa! The OP is asking about documents for the interview, not for petition filing. There are some Consulate that will accept birth and police certificates in the local language but usually, they want them translated. The translation requirements vary by Consulate. In China, for instance, they must come from the Gong Zheng Chu office local to the applicant's residence. You could show them communication evidence in Chinese as long as at least some of it was in English but not official documents like police reports, certificate of single status or birth certificates.

USCIS standards don't apply to documents taken to interviews.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.