fatima_kamel

THIS MAY HELP SOME OF YOU WHO HAVE CHILDREN?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

HELLO TO ALL, MY HUSBANDS INTERVIEW IN GHANA WAS DECEMBER 13, 2007. WE STARTED OUR PROCESS ON DECEMBER 14, 2006. ALL THIS TIME WE WAS TOLD THAT EVERYTHING WAS COMPLETE AND THAT NOTHING ELSE WOULD BE NEEDED BY AN THE NVC HERE IN THE U.S. AND BY AN EMPLOYEE AT THE EMBASSY IN GHANA. WELL, WHEN MY HUSBAND WENT FOR HIS INTERVIEW, THEY LADY THAT WAS INTERVIEWING HIM SAID THAT SHE HAS TO PEND HIS VISA BASED UPON THE RESULTS OF A 3 WAY DNA TEST. THIS TEST IS TO PROVE THAT OUR CHILD IS PATERNALLY HIS AND MATERNIALLY MINE. WHAT GARBAGE CONSIDERING WE ARE MARRIED AND I HAVE 3 OTHER CHILDREN FROM A PREVIOUS RELATIONSHIP. THEY HAVE NOW RESCHEDULED HIM FOR A NEW INTERVIEW ON MARCH 11 INWHICH THE TEST HAS TO BE COMPLETED AT NO COST TO THE EMBASSY BY THEN.IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE. THEY STATED THAT IT IS THE LAW! THE ONLY THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THAT, IF ITS THE LAW WHY DOES NO ONE SEEM TO KNOW ABOUT IT UNTIL YOUR VISA IS PUT ON A PENDING STATUS! THE SITE THAT YOU WILL NEED TO GO THROUGH FOR THE TESTING IS WWW.AABB.ORG. HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank you so much for posting this information.

I think that it is now becoming the standard for them to do DNA tests to determine family relationship. I know that Omoba had to go through this and there is another member here who had to take a DNA test but he has not been on here for some time.

Is your child a USC?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Is this for the child to come along on the visa to the US? I'm trying to understand if the DNA test is required for children that are already in the US. Is this your case?

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline
Is this for the child to come along on the visa to the US? I'm trying to understand if the DNA test is required for children that are already in the US. Is this your case?

Exactly my question ;)

If the child is a USC it does not make sense that they would require a DNA test for the child since they would not need a visa to come here.

Click for full timeline

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

DNA is being implemented as a voluntary tool to establish beneficiary eligibility. It is not forced nor is it the law.

The alternative of not submitting such requested DNA can be long AP to verify documents or flat out denial of the visa by an incompetent CO.

Exactly my question ;)

If the child is a USC it does not make sense that they would require a DNA test for the child since they would not need a visa to come here.

I was wondering about that too. Doesn't make sense to me.

OUR CHILD IS A CITIZEN OF THE U.S. SHE IS HERE WITH ME IN THE U.S. OMOBA THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. THE LETTER DID STATE THAT, BUT AT THE SAME TIME THE EMBASSY AND THE TESTING CENTER ARE SAYING ITS THE LAW. DUE TO MANY PEOPLE IN THE PAST USING OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN TO ESTABLISH RELATIONSHIPS. IF YOU COULD ALSO GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION ON WHY THE DOCUMENTATION FROM HOSPITAL OF BIRTH IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO PROVE THAT I AM THE MATERNIAL MOTHER? I CAN UNDERSTAND THEIR POINT ON WANTING A TEST DONE ON MY HUSBAND SINCE THEY HAVE ENCOUNTERED MANY DISHONESTLY IN THE PAST WHEN DEALING WITH CHILDREN. THIS TEST MAKES ME WONDER IF WE DID NOT HAVE A CHILD WOULD THEY HAVE ALREADY DENIED THE VISA? THEY HAVE OUR ORIGINAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, ALL OF MY BOARDING PASSES, PASSPORT PAGES, ETC.... TO SHOW WHERE I WAS DURING THE TIME FRAME OF CONCEPTION. IF THERE IS ANY INFO YOU CAN PASS ALONG PLEASE DO SO...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
OUR CHILD IS A CITIZEN OF THE U.S. SHE IS HERE WITH ME IN THE U.S. OMOBA THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. THE LETTER DID STATE THAT, BUT AT THE SAME TIME THE EMBASSY AND THE TESTING CENTER ARE SAYING ITS THE LAW. DUE TO MANY PEOPLE IN THE PAST USING OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN TO ESTABLISH RELATIONSHIPS. IF YOU COULD ALSO GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION ON WHY THE DOCUMENTATION FROM HOSPITAL OF BIRTH IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO PROVE THAT I AM THE MATERNIAL MOTHER? I CAN UNDERSTAND THEIR POINT ON WANTING A TEST DONE ON MY HUSBAND SINCE THEY HAVE ENCOUNTERED MANY DISHONESTLY IN THE PAST WHEN DEALING WITH CHILDREN. THIS TEST MAKES ME WONDER IF WE DID NOT HAVE A CHILD WOULD THEY HAVE ALREADY DENIED THE VISA? THEY HAVE OUR ORIGINAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, ALL OF MY BOARDING PASSES, PASSPORT PAGES, ETC.... TO SHOW WHERE I WAS DURING THE TIME FRAME OF CONCEPTION. IF THERE IS ANY INFO YOU CAN PASS ALONG PLEASE DO SO...

This doesn't make sense on their part because this is a spousal visa, your child is not applying for their parent YOU are applying for your spouse. What if you didn't have children? If they didn't see the child as proof of bona fide marriage there should be other documents to back it up as there is for couples that don't have children. I think they are always going to find SOMETHING with a CR1 visa no matter what it is. This post was very helpful to me, my husband is in Nigeria, not Ghana, but they seem to have very similar types of COs and bs made up laws when it suits them. Can you please keep us informed as to how you go about handling this situation.. such as, if you do end up getting the testing done, how can your husband go about it in Ghana and get the results to the AABB accredited lab? And yeah, why isn't the hospital records enough to establish your maternity? There was a case in VJ a while ago in which this happened. I never learned the outcome and I was anxious to know. Thank you for giving us all a heads up and God bless you both, you will be rewarded for your sacrifices!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay... this makes no sense at all to me either. If this is Law then it must be a new one. My daughter was born 2005 and I went through the interview Aug 2007. Daughter was born in the US and is a USC. No DNA test was asked at the interview.

EDIT: my wife and daughter lived with me in Canada for a year and half so that might have something to do with my case.

Edited by Lance27

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

I assume you are a naturalized African immigrant ?

If you are a USC by birth then this is the first time I have heard of a DNA request in this case.

If you are naturalized then it is common for paternity / maternity DNA testing in your circumstance.

If foreign documents have to be verified, it can take a very long time and DNA gives quicker results to satisfy the embassy.

Limited staff and resources make document verification time longer.

What the embassy is looking at here is relationship eligibility. The proper relationship to all parties will be established without doubt

through DNA testing. If the results are satisfactory then the visa will be granted, sometimes as in my case not without a second

in depth interview, sometimes without.

No, if you did not have a child together it would not have meant denial at all. If you are a naturalized African immigrant you may would

have had to undergo DNA to prove you and your husband are not blood related. If you are a born USC or are of a different race then

there would be no DNA.

It is also common to DNA test fiances that do the K1 to rule out that they are related.

It gets complicated but is the easiest way for the embassies to establish eligibility for the visa applied for.

Make sure you contact a lab from the embassy ' accredited and approved ' list.

Call around and ask for a discount.

If you need more info on a less expensive lab pm me.

And again, no it is not the law but a suggestion to submit DNA, without submitting it you can jeopardize the visa.

Testing labs have no clue what immigration law is.

Bottom line, if the CO wants it........submit it.

I assume you are a naturalized African immigrant ?

If you are a USC by birth then this is the first time I have heard of a DNA request in this case.

If you are naturalized then it is common for paternity / maternity DNA testing in your circumstance.

If foreign documents have to be verified, it can take a very long time and DNA gives quicker results to satisfy the embassy.

Limited staff and resources make document verification time longer.

What the embassy is looking at here is relationship eligibility. The proper relationship to all parties will be established without doubt

through DNA testing. If the results are satisfactory then the visa will be granted, sometimes as in my case not without a second

in depth interview, sometimes without.

No, if you did not have a child together it would not have meant denial at all. If you are a naturalized African immigrant you may would

have had to undergo DNA to prove you and your husband are not blood related. If you are a born USC or are of a different race then

there would be no DNA.

It is also common to DNA test fiances that do the K1 to rule out that they are related.

It gets complicated but is the easiest way for the embassies to establish eligibility for the visa applied for.

Make sure you contact a lab from the embassy ' accredited and approved ' list.

Call around and ask for a discount.

If you need more info on a less expensive lab pm me.

And again, no it is not the law but a suggestion to submit DNA, without submitting it you can jeopardize the visa.

Testing labs have no clue what immigration law is.

Bottom line, if the CO wants it........submit it.

YES, I AM A U.S. CITIZEN FROM BIRTH. THIS IS WHY I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Timeline

This is a load of BS :angry:

A DNA test to establish paterniry is unnecessary because (1) you are petitioning for a spouse and (2) your daughter is a USC.

You are not petitioning your daughter as a foreign born citizen so I am confused as to why they want the DNA test :wacko:

But unfortunately the CO wants it, so as much as we think this is stupid and useless, the CO is the one who is going to give you the visa, not us. I want to know what the CO is thinking.

(F)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
This is a load of BS :angry:

A DNA test to establish paterniry is unnecessary because (1) you are petitioning for a spouse and (2) your daughter is a USC.

You are not petitioning your daughter as a foreign born citizen so I am confused as to why they want the DNA test :wacko:

But unfortunately the CO wants it, so as much as we think this is stupid and useless, the CO is the one who is going to give you the visa, not us. I want to know what the CO is thinking.

(F)

:thumbs:

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.