deadbird

Job hunting

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
You haven't found a decent employer yet. If a company is worth their salt, they will understand if he can or can not work. Most applications have a question: "Are you authorized to work in the U.S.?" If you say, "Yes", you show them a copy of your work authorization as proof. It should be straight forward to a competent HR person. :thumbs:

Ditto.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I hate to disagree with your sentiment, but I'm gonna 'cause I've been down this road.

My husband had a difficult time finding a decent job even with his EAD card. I can't imagine what kind of nonsense you'd go through trying to get work with just the stamp.

The problem isn't competency. It's conception. A 'greencard' is what people hear about and know about. Anything less than that is 'different' and 'questionable' to them. Even though an EAD proves you are legal to work, it really doesn't show anything else, and it includes an expiry date. A greencard says - "I've come to America to live. I'm staying.'

My husband got a decent job on the FIRST interview he went to with a greencard. He had been to several with just an EAD.

Greencard trumps EAD in the eyes of US citizens - competent, informed, or not.

You haven't found a decent employer yet. If a company is worth their salt, they will understand if he can or can not work. Most applications have a question: "Are you authorized to work in the U.S.?" If you say, "Yes", you show them a copy of your work authorization as proof. It should be straight forward to a competent HR person. :thumbs:

I hate to disagree with your sentiment, but I'm gonna 'cause I've been down this road.

My husband had a difficult time finding a decent job even with his EAD card. I can't imagine what kind of nonsense you'd go through trying to get work with just the stamp.

The problem isn't competency. It's conception. A 'greencard' is what people hear about and know about. Anything less than that is 'different' and 'questionable' to them. Even though an EAD proves you are legal to work, it really doesn't show anything else, and it includes an expiry date. A greencard says - "I've come to America to live. I'm staying.'

My husband got a decent job on the FIRST interview he went to with a greencard. He had been to several with just an EAD.

Rebecca - you need to stop this. I am beginning to think you're smarter than me :angry: , and that pizzzesss me off ;)

Rebecca - you need to stop this. I am beginning to think you're smarter than me :angry: , and that pizzzesss me off ;)

Hahahahahahaha..............they're ain't nothing wrong with you that several nights of philosophy in a smoky jazz club won't cure......................

Hahahahahahaha..............they're ain't nothing wrong with you that several nights of philosophy in a smoky jazz club won't cure......................

Keep it up being smart and I will SO put you too on ignore :angry:

Keep it up being smart and I will SO put you too on ignore :angry:

Come on. Get your coat. Two for one tonite. My treat!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
To the OP:

I wouldn't give them the chance to wonder what visa he is here on.

My husband's resume' had the following statement on the bottom of it:

"I hold a valid Department Of State Employment Authorization Document and do not require any sponsorship to legally work in the United States."

Credit for that language goes to the member luv2teach.

If I am not mistaken, since the Department of State does not issue employment authorization documents this language should be modified to say "Department of Homeland Security".

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
There could be many reasons, the obious one is that they do not want to go through the hassle of employing someone who only is work authorised for less than 2 months.

I do not undestand the working under the table, I presume he has the temp EAD

being paid cash off the books.

the fact that the I-94 expires in 90 days could be a reason hard to find permanent position for a K-1 without an EAD or green card.

As long as he decalres it on his tax return, not a good way to start your US journey commiting tax fraud.

And even less cleaver posting it on an open web site.

exactly what i was thinking boiler.... i,m a nurse and have been offered a job. under the table,.. on the side,.. whatever you want to call it, i,m too scared to get caught out... i,ll wait for my EAD... hoping its here soon.... sigh sigh..

2007-10-23...mailed AOS EAD AP

2007-10-29...finally arrived in chicago

2007-11-02...NOA1 notice date

2007-11-23...the dreaded RFE comes...dated Nov 19th

2007-11-24...returned RFE by USPS

2007-11-29...biometrics in buffalo

2007-11-29...touched

2007-12-18...mailed another copy of RFE, delivery confirmation.. just in case they did'nt get first one

2007-12-29...email stating transfer to CSC woohoo

2008-01-02...AOS touched

2008-01-09...AOS touched..stating transfer and pending at CSC.

2008-01-10...AOS touched

2008-01-11...AOS touched

2008-01-11...EAD touched..stating card production ordered... woohoo.

2008-01-11...AP touched

2008-01-16...AP approved

2008-01-18...EAD touch... stating card production ordered..AGAIN

2008-01-22...EAD touch... stating card sent

2008-01-22...EAD and AP delivered by mailman yeaha....

2008-04-08...Infopass appointment......then by magic... GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED....am i dreaming???

2008-04-14... Received WELCOME TO AMERICA letter

2008-04-15...Received my GREENCARD.... wooohoooo

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE... THANK YOU LORD..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, but conception should come out of competency! If I have a full understanding, I will view things appropriately! I still believe a truly qualified HR person should understand the different legal authorizations to work in this country.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

*shakes head*

It should. But do you understand what I am saying?

I wouldn't go so far as to call what happens discrimination.

An employee just don't look as 'solid' without a greencard.

Yes, but conception should come out of competency! If I have a full understanding, I will view things appropriately! I still believe a truly qualified HR person should understand the different legal authorizations to work in this country.

To the OP:

I wouldn't give them the chance to wonder what visa he is here on.

My husband's resume' had the following statement on the bottom of it:

"I hold a valid Department Of State Employment Authorization Document and do not require any sponsorship to legally work in the United States."

Credit for that language goes to the member luv2teach.

If I am not mistaken, since the Department of State does not issue employment authorization documents this language should be modified to say "Department of Homeland Security".

Good catch.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
There could be many reasons, the obious one is that they do not want to go through the hassle of employing someone who only is work authorised for less than 2 months.

Wallahi "working under the table" means he is paid in cash and htere is no records of him being employed.

Wallahi "working under the table" means he is paid in cash and htere is no records of him being employed.

Yes and since it is illegal, it is something I wouldn't exactly advertise on a public forum.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes and since it is illegal, it is something I wouldn't exactly advertise on a public forum.

Only illegal if you don't report it and I never said we weren't going to. And it's not the issue at hand.

Besides, he's only made like $100. We got way more than that for wedding presents.

Divorced. To hell with him.

Only illegal if you don't report it and I never said we weren't going to. And it's not the issue at hand.

Besides, he's only made like $100. We got way more than that for wedding presents.

You seem to dismiss it cause its only $100. Under the table is what it is, and I woudn't advertise for the world to know. I've heard of the IRS going after people for less than that.

12140.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.