luck4unme

Naturalizing minor step daughter living abroad. No intent to live in USA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Please move if there is a better place. 

Following is a summary of the help I am hoping for:

I am a US citizen, Social Security recipient residing in South  America. I am inquiring about naturalizing my 8 year old step daughter. I also plan to apply for the adopted minor child Social Security benefit. I have a 5 year Colombia resident visa and have lived here for about 9 years.

We do not intend to live in the USA. Most of the information here seems to be a resource for residing in the USA.

The foreign citizen residing abroad process is pretty well described in the following link to UCSIS. But I am unclear on which visa to apply for and the required steps.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter5.html

The only proof I have of care, custody and control is my wife and step daughter as beneficiaries on my health insurance and also on my step daughters enrollment in her school. If that is not sufficient then I might be better off doing a CR-1 and move to the USA for a couple years. That certainly is not my preference. I would like to be able to continue to live here in Colombia. Of course, I do not want to even start the process if the care, custody and control requirement (or any other "non qualifers) cannot be met. 

I would provide:

1 Birth certificates in both her names. (before and after adoption)

2 Health insurance invoices with step daughter and wife as my beneficiary and additionally covered on my policy. Also, school enrollment records for proof of care, custody and control. Both are for several years. Is it sufficient proof?

3 Proof of legal adoption.

4 Marriage certificate.

5 My birth certificate, proof of citizenship, presence in USA and divorces. 

6 W-2's if necessary

7 I plan to use the B-1 tourist visa for naturalization interview in USA. I will apply for my wife's at the same time but will travel with just my adopted daughter if my wifes' visa is denied. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

B1 is for Business, B2 is for visiting.

My first thought is if a B would give you long enough? Need to check Naturalisation time lines.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The USCIS link that the OP posted didn't state any requirement for a green card or any specific time period that an adopted child of a US citizen would have to live in the US.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

1 hour ago, luck4unme said:

"A. General Requirements: Genetic, Legitimated, or Adopted Child Residing Outside the United States [1]"

A stepchild doesn't meet this requirement (unless they are legitimatized under the country's laws, or meet the adoption requirements).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

He indicated in the first post that he’s adopting her, so she won’t “just” be a stepchild.

I understand one day this child might be very grateful for US citizenship but OP you do realize that she will have obligations too, like having to start filing tax returns with the irs when she’s grown up and working, etc? Long way away maybe (no indicatIon of actual age of child) but i guess I’m not understanding the urgency in doing it now if you plan to remain in Colombia , presumably not just to draw a social security grant?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.