CharlieTanger

Front of folder/binder

30 posts in this topic

So we are just about completed with our package and we finalized it by hole punching the tops of the pages and putting it into a (top pronged “Permclip”) vanilla folder. I figured this would keep the pages tightly and neatly in order and prevent them from losing anything. 

What would you recommend us put on the front of this vanilla folder? We have a cover page inside as our front page, but I feel like the front of the folder looks empty with nothing on it. Perhaps, “I-751” along with my spouse’s name and A#? Any final suggestions? 

Thank you all! :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As soon as they receive your package they are going to throw away the vanilla folder anyhow, and then start separating your package to their liking so don't worry about putting anything on the front of the folder.

USCIS's website actually discourages use of binders/folders.

Some great tips (put out by USCIS themselves) on how they like to receive application packages:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
17 minutes ago, CharlieTanger said:

So we are just about completed with our package and we finalized it by hole punching the tops of the pages and putting it into a (top pronged “Permclip”) vanilla folder. I figured this would keep the pages tightly and neatly in order and prevent them from losing anything. 

What would you recommend us put on the front of this vanilla folder? We have a cover page inside as our front page, but I feel like the front of the folder looks empty with nothing on it. Perhaps, “I-751” along with my spouse’s name and A#? Any final suggestions? 

Thank you all! :) 

It seriously doesn't matter. Will not help at all. My I-751 went in with just the papers, no punches, tabs, and no cover letter.

I used a Manila folder just to squash the papers together to more easily slip into the flat cardboard priority mailer. The folder was old, with a previous label torn off, and coffee stains on it. Was approved in standard time with no RFE. What's inside is more important. 

14 minutes ago, Going through said:

As soon as they receive your package they are going to throw away the vanilla folder anyhow, and then start separating your package to their liking so don't worry about putting anything on the front of the folder.

USCIS's website actually discourages use of binders/folders.

Some great tips (put out by USCIS themselves) on how they like to receive application packages:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips

Thanks! I did notice that it actually states:

• Use fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.”

That was where I got the idea for the two-hole punched folder. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, CharlieTanger said:

Thanks! I did notice that it actually states:

• Use fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.”

That was where I got the idea for the two-hole punched folder. 

Right----but that's for placement in their own folder (your complete USCIS file)...they are not going to keep it in the vanilla folder you are sending it in, and will rearrange your application/documents when they receive it...so doesn't really matter if you put something on the front of it or not---don't stress it is what I'm saying ;) 

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Hi!

We only prepared our paperwork like this, we didn't write anything in the cover, but we wrote in the front of the box where we sent it "ATT'N: I-751 with a black color sharpie, hope that help you!

Best regards!

M. 

ROCMaritah.jpg

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

11 minutes ago, Going through said:

Right----but that's for placement in their own folder (your complete USCIS file)...they are not going to keep it in the vanilla folder you are sending it in, and will rearrange your application/documents when they receive it...so doesn't really matter if you put something on the front of it or not---don't stress it is what I'm saying ;) 

Ohh ok. Thanks for that! So basically it’s fine to just have everything paper clipped and just put it in a normal folder so they can just take all the papers out easily. 

4 minutes ago, Maritah said:

Hi!

We only prepared our paperwork like this, we didn't write anything in the cover, but we wrote in the front of the box where we sent it "ATT'N: I-751 with a black color sharpie, hope that help you!

Best regards!

M. 

ROCMaritah.jpg

Wow! Our package isn’t nearly as large as yours! Ours can easily fit into a normal folder pocket with no major issues. I mean it has bulk, but not that large. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, CharlieTanger said:

Ohh ok. Thanks for that! So basically it’s fine to just have everything paper clipped and just put it in a normal folder so they can just take all the papers out easily. 

The two hole punching at the top will help them out, so it was nice of you to do that :) 

When I sent in my ROC paperwork, I didn't use a folder/tabs---just paper clipped everything together and then put a huge elastic band around the package, and shoved it in the envelope that way.

Edited by Going through

1 minute ago, Going through said:

The two hole punching at the top will help them out, so it was nice of you to do that :) 

When I sent in my ROC paperwork, I didn't use a folder/tabs---just paper clipped everything together and then put a huge elastic band around the package, and shoved it in the envelope that way.

Got ya. So it won’t hurt if I hole punched and organized it that way or if I put it just in a normal folder with clips...

2 minutes ago, CharlieTanger said:

Wow! Our package isn’t nearly as large as yours! Ours can easily fit into a normal folder pocket with no major issues. I mean it has bulk, but not that large. 

I can say that our package got that size because we sent bank statements  and AT&T statements from 2015, 2016 and 2017, because all those have our change of address too (we moved 2 times).

M. 

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

Timeline
Just now, CharlieTanger said:

Got ya. So it won’t hurt if I hole punched and organized it that way or if I put it just in a normal folder with clips...

It won't hurt in any way.

Now if you stapled everything all over the place, you may peeve someone off when they have to take everything out lol

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Just now, CharlieTanger said:

We used paper clips to hold each multi-page document together and binder clips to hold each section together.

The only thing they advise against is staples. They have to remove staples before scanning, and it creates extra hassle and can potentially result in damaged papers. More than anything, it just pisses them off and wastes their time though. 

Just now, Lee & Lei said:

We used paper clips to hold each multi-page document together and binder clips to hold each section together.

The only thing they advise against is staples. They have to remove staples before scanning, and it creates extra hassle and can potentially result in damaged papers. More than anything, it just pisses them off and wastes their time though. 

Yeah, we remember the “no staple rule” from the K-1 filing and assumed that rule lasts throughout all the processes. 

14 minutes ago, Maritah said:

Hi!

Best regards!

M. 

ROCMaritah.jpg

wow that's huge lol... 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.