Chris Duffy

Has any US Citizens moved to Philippines and worked there?

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I know a handful of guys who have retired to Philippines and took SS Disability which got them over there in there 40's or early 50's age range.  I have came to the conclusion you will need some type of supplemental income or have a large amount of cash in the bank if you want to try to live in Philippines.  Rental income from Real Estate or some kind of pension or SS income.

Yes, having the retirment and SS would be ideal....that way you have that income always. Thus I'll have to wait until I'm 62 to get SS and then my State retirement at 66. 

Timeline
21 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Very good topic. I plan to move there with my asawa after I retire here. I will take the earliest retirement allowed by SS which is currently 62. Even though the SS will be enough to get by I am still young and will want to have some sort of business there. It more than likely will all need to be done through my asawa. I could never see working a "job" there. When I look at the Philippines I see so much opportunity to make money. From what I see there is way more freedom there in the Philippines than in the "land of the free". My asawa has a sari store. If she wants to sell alcohol, she buys it then sells it. Same with cigarettes or anything else. Here in America, the licensing, regulations, and requirements are so much that it's almost not worth it to have a business.

I toss around ideas in my mind all of the time on what type of business I want to do when I go there.

Seems everyone has the Sari Sari stores, minimal income but very sustainable. I don't necessarily want to work once I'm retired but I agree it would be good to have a steady income for my wife and child once I'm gone. Luckily she can still receive my retirement but not necessarily the SS until she is retirement age, so not sure how that works. 

14 hours ago, javadown2 said:

I really think the storage units are viable, with all the overseas workers...and EXpats maybe viable. 

rentals and property always seem like a safe bet for sure. 

Oh, like Hooters, but they have pretty much died off in the US. Where I live the "Bikini Baristers" are everywhere and seem to do well. And you know what I don't think my asawa would have a problem with this idea, sports bars are great! Oh..and you forgot basketball on the TV's!

The problems with these is you will have to give up ownership, and if you have been in business that means it a risk. Even in USA partenships usually end up not working out.

I have seen some guys who owned bars in Cebu area, most were from Australia or UK and a few of the mates dranked themselves to death.  In Carcar a town outside of Cebu a Texas set up Campfire grill back in 2011 he served US comfort food like tacos, meatloaf, etc.  He never got rich and I believe he died a few years ago.   The issue with food establishments if you set it up and run it, and if you have to leave the country for a while then it will revert back to being ran in a Filipino way, which isn't a bad thing, but you would loose your control and probably clients.

Bikini bars are very popular in my area and I assume rest of USA.  Now of days the girls wear very little, I am talking T back and bra and serve here.  I rarely go there, but  I can tell you the parking lots are always packed at lunch time.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

14 hours ago, javadown2 said:

Yes, having the retirment and SS would be ideal....that way you have that income always. Thus I'll have to wait until I'm 62 to get SS and then my State retirement at 66. 

You can get SS much earlier if you take medical.  I am worried at age 62 I may not have the energy or health to do what I want to do.

Medicine and medical facilities are a joke in Philippines for the most part, yes very cheap to see a doctor but if have a serious issue you are probably gonna hope a plane and go back home to get medical attention.  Last time I spent any time in hospital setting there was in 2007 and there were cats running the halls of the hospital in area of Davao City.

On 11/4/2017 at 11:23 PM, Chris Duffy said:

I know a handful of guys who have retired to Philippines and took SS Disability which got them over there in there 40's or early 50's age range.  I have came to the conclusion you will need some type of supplemental income or have a large amount of cash in the bank if you want to try to live in Philippines.  Rental income from Real Estate or some kind of pension or SS income.

Not sure of what area this "handful of guys" live in or the lifestyle that they would like to live. Currently I support a family of 4 on $600 usd a month along with their modest income from a sari sari store. One is in private college and another has medical conditions requiring regular doctor visits and about 4k peso a month in medications.

On 11/4/2017 at 11:26 PM, Chris Duffy said:

Storage Units sound interesting.

I think renting out rooms or an apartment would be a pretty safe investment in Philippines. Seems like finding a place to stay or live is always in demand.

I always wondered what a Breastaruant would go in Philippines.  Have a Sports Themed and have the girls wear sexy outfit like they do at US locations.  No hanky panky allowed, but concentrate on serving cold beer and wings and other finger foods.  Have a lot of TV's on the wall with Rooster Fighting, Boxing and billard playing all the time.

I never saw real estate as a good investment there. Ther rent is so cheap in comparison with the cost of upkeep and maintenance. Also the legal system is not as up to par so what if you end up with tenants that do not pay or skip out on you? Maybe just me but I wouldn't go that route.

About the Breastaruant idea. You would have to be in an area with a lot of foreigners. What Filipino's have the kind of disposable income for that. Also for the foreigners that go there that would be the clientele, I think they are looking for a little more hands on experience. 

8 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

You can get SS much earlier if you take medical.  I am worried at age 62 I may not have the energy or health to do what I want to do.

How old are you? You seem pretty young by your statements and that is not meant to be an insult, I was just curious.I'm in my mid 50's and my health and energy are just fine. I have no intentions on just sitting back and riding out my final years at 62. My parents are mid 70's and still go bike riding, play tennis, and go river rafting regularly. Most people as they get "old" drastically change their idea of what "old" is.

8 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Medicine and medical facilities are a joke in Philippines for the most part, yes very cheap to see a doctor but if have a serious issue you are probably gonna hope a plane and go back home to get medical attention.  Last time I spent any time in hospital setting there was in 2007 and there were cats running the halls of the hospital in area of Davao City.

I see some evidence of this there but I have found healthcare to be very good and affordable there. Of course you get what you pay for. There are very good private doctors and hospitals there and the prices are extremely affordable in compared to USA even if you have insurance. I had a friend here in the US that went to the Philippines to have surgery on his shoulder because paying for it completely out of pocket there was much cheaper than what it would have cost him in the US through his insurance. 

23 hours ago, javadown2 said:

Seems everyone has the Sari Sari stores, minimal income but very sustainable. I don't necessarily want to work once I'm retired but I agree it would be good to have a steady income for my wife and child once I'm gone. Luckily she can still receive my retirement but not necessarily the SS until she is retirement age, so not sure how that works. 

Yes they are a very good source of revenue even though it's not huge. Pretty much all of my concerns and focus is making sure my wife and child will be ok once I am gone. I guess that's a big thing to take into consideration when you marry someone much younger than you. As for SS I am looking into what benefits her and or our child/children would qualify for and how they would go about applying for and receiving it. I feel I still have a long way to go but we never know when our number is called. If she was willing to commit her life to me despite our age difference, I feel it's my responsibility to look after her future once I am gone.

3 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Yes they are a very good source of revenue even though it's not huge. Pretty much all of my concerns and focus is making sure my wife and child will be ok once I am gone. I guess that's a big thing to take into consideration when you marry someone much younger than you. As for SS I am looking into what benefits her and or our child/children would qualify for and how they would go about applying for and receiving it. I feel I still have a long way to go but we never know when our number is called. If she was willing to commit her life to me despite our age difference, I feel it's my responsibility to look after her future once I am gone.

It just shows how much of a good father and husband you are. There was a poster on here a few years back that was alittle off the rails mentally but overall an ok guy. He was my age (mid 30's) with a asawa and a couple kids that just up and suddenly died due to health complications, the bad thing was that he didn't really leave much for his family at all if I remember correctly which is sad. 

I know when I am gone my wife will be just fine from the life insurance and the VA coming in she will be just fine. 

Edited by cyberfx1024

17 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Not sure of what area this "handful of guys" live in or the lifestyle that they would like to live. Currently I support a family of 4 on $600 usd a month along with their modest income from a sari sari store. One is in private college and another has medical conditions requiring regular doctor visits and about 4k peso a month in medications.

No way could I survive or anyone from USA be able to support themselves on 600 USD per month.  I would think around $1200 USD you could make it  but have to live in province and very frugal lifestyle.   I have not tried to live long term there, but I was thinking 1600 or above to live in moderate lifestyle there.  Some things are cheap there, some things are not. Electrical is pretty darn high there compared to US prices.

Edited by Chris Duffy

16 hours ago, RO_AH said:

How old are you? You seem pretty young by your statements and that is not meant to be an insult, I was just curious.I'm in my mid 50's and my health and energy are just fine. I have no intentions on just sitting back and riding out my final years at 62. My parents are mid 70's and still go bike riding, play tennis, and go river rafting regularly. Most people as they get "old" drastically change their idea of what "old" is.

I am early 50's.  I have just seen too many people who worked their tails off and retired and either died or spent all there savings trying to stay alive.  

17 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I never saw real estate as a good investment there. Ther rent is so cheap in comparison with the cost of upkeep and maintenance. Also the legal system is not as up to par so what if you end up with tenants that do not pay or skip out on you? Maybe just me but I wouldn't go that route.

About the Breastaruant idea. You would have to be in an area with a lot of foreigners. What Filipino's have the kind of disposable income for that. Also for the foreigners that go there that would be the clientele, I think they are looking for a little more hands on experience. 

Rental would be good, Upkeep and maintenance. Have you seen a bed spacer? Not much. Or even an average apartment is very little up keep. What would you upkeep? Not much there.

As far as Sport themed restaurant, no way would I build or live where a lot of foreigners go or stay, I have been to Cebu and that place is full of Aussie and UK dudes, and they have given foreigners a bad reputation there by living like they are in poverty and dressing like bums or acting like idiots by drinking and acting like fools. 

A sport them place isnt' that expensive, and lots of people in Philippines have disposable cash.  Yes there is poverty there, but also there is a lot of middle class people with disposable income.   I have meet girls in the past who always claimed I can't find work in Philippines, and I have met go getters who claimed I can always find work in Philippines.

16 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I see some evidence of this there but I have found healthcare to be very good and affordable there. Of course you get what you pay for. There are very good private doctors and hospitals there and the prices are extremely affordable in compared to USA even if you have insurance. I had a friend here in the US that went to the Philippines to have surgery on his shoulder because paying for it completely out of pocket there was much cheaper than what it would have cost him in the US through his insurance. 

For sure some services are much cheaper especially for elective surgery, and even back in the day when you could buy a kidney.   But I have seen more than one US citizen at the airport in wheelchair going back to US for and infection or issue they couldn't fix or diagnose in Philippines.  

Back in Cebu I knew a guy who lost 3 fingers from infection. He had a eels in the ocean he would hand feed, and one day he said it was cloudy and the water was murky and the ell bit his hand instead of fish he was feeding him.  They couldn't get the infection down in the PHilppines and he finally had to go back to Australia to get it taken care of. He had to have 3 fingers amputated.  He was working there doing some type of ocean excavation and his company was based in Australia.

Timeline
On 11/6/2017 at 1:39 AM, Chris Duffy said:

The problems with these is you will have to give up ownership, and if you have been in business that means it a risk. Even in USA partenships usually end up not working out.

I have seen some guys who owned bars in Cebu area, most were from Australia or UK and a few of the mates dranked themselves to death.  In Carcar a town outside of Cebu a Texas set up Campfire grill back in 2011 he served US comfort food like tacos, meatloaf, etc.  He never got rich and I believe he died a few years ago.   The issue with food establishments if you set it up and run it, and if you have to leave the country for a while then it will revert back to being ran in a Filipino way, which isn't a bad thing, but you would loose your control and probably clients.

Bikini bars are very popular in my area and I assume rest of USA.  Now of days the girls wear very little, I am talking T back and bra and serve here.  I rarely go there, but  I can tell you the parking lots are always packed at lunch time.

Giving up ownership to my asawa, or immediate in laws...so that isn't an issue.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, javadown2 said:

Giving up ownership to my asawa, or immediate in laws...so that isn't an issue.

Can't give up what you never had ..  ownership ;):) 

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.