Andrew&Vangie

Questions concerning Child's CRBA Need help.

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I ( the USC petitioner) am almost finished on filling out I130 forms for my Filipino stepdaughter and Spouse. Under the section where it states listing your beneficiaries spouse and relatives, I added myself, my stepdaughter, and my son.

my Stepdaughter is born in Philippines ( 4yrs old)

my Son is born to a U.S. Citizen in the Philippines (1 year 5 months)

This question is about my son. He is my biological son, born to me (u.s. citizen). I listed him as a relative on both I130 forms of my Spouse and stepdaughter. I am wondering if I should go ahead and file his CRBA ( u.s. citizen report of birth abroad) to the U.S embassy in Manila before I even send the I130 forms to USCIS for processing. OR is ok to just wait until the NVC asks about my Son birth?

Also, whats the easiest or convenient way to file the CRBA for my Son, being so I am not in the Philippines? Is it wise to send my documents to the U.S. embassy in Manila, and make an appointment for my Son and Wife to visit the U.S Consul? 

What is a reliable and secure way to send u.s. gov docs to the Philippines from the United States?

thank you for all your help! :)

Edited by Andrew&Vangie

I'm not an expert on CRBA but I am going to give you some links to follow for some reading.  I am sure Hank will chime in with his knowledge.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/126018.pdf

http://www.visajourn...th-abroad-crba/

http://manila.usemba...itizenship.html

Some of the information maybe old and some links maybe broken so "buyer beware". 

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, Andrew&Vangie said:

Hi everyone, 

I ( the USC petitioner) am almost finished on filling out I130 forms for my Filipino stepdaughter and Spouse. Under the section where it states listing your beneficiaries spouse and relatives, I added myself, my stepdaughter, and my son.

This question is about my son. He is my biological son, born to me (u.s. citizen). I listed him as a relative on both I130 forms of my Spouse and stepdaughter. I am wondering if I should go ahead and file his CRBA ( u.s. citizen report of birth abroad) to the U.S embassy in Manila before I even send the I130 forms to USCIS for processing. OR is ok to just wait until the NVC asks about my Son birth?

Also, whats the easiest or convenient way to file the CRBA for my Son, being so I am not in the Philippines? Is it wise to send my documents to the U.S. embassy in Manila, and make an appointment for my Son and Wife to visit the U.S Consul? 

What is a reliable and secure way to send u.s. gov docs to the Philippines from the United States?

My son's CRBA took about a month through USEM, during summer 2017. CRBA is a faster route to get a US passport (citizenship) for your son. You can bypass the immigrant visa process entirely, and they'll issue him a passport right there at USEM. (I assume the mother is your current spouse? If not, a custody order and more would be required).

Of course, the other family members would have to wait anyway for the i130 to be processed. It might be easier to wait for that so they could all come at the same time. I'm not sure how all those would flow together, but I don't think your son would be an immigrant (i130 is for immigrants), because he's already a US citizen by birth. Perhaps others with more knowledge of this can comment.

If you're in Manila, you could simply ask USEM (American Citizen Services Unit) and they would probably just tell you. You could call or email them; they were very helpful and responsive with me. Here is some contact info:

US Embassy Manila (USEM):

(703) 520-2235 from the US Mainland, (M-F 8am-8pm Manila time)

+63-2-976-8500, 8501, 8502 from PHL

American Citizen Services Unit:

acsinfomanila@state.gov

+63-2-301-2000 ext 2246 or 2567 (Special Consular Services)

+63-2-301-2000 ext 2555 (Passports)

+63-2-301-2000 ext 2532 (Citizenship) - M/W, Thurs 1:00-3:00pm

Send any documents via Fedex (expensive but reliable) or LBC (cheaper if you're near one in the US, there aren't very many here).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by AKteacher
Correct a typo

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

24 minutes ago, AKteacher said:

CRBA is a faster route to get a US passport (citizenship) for your son. You can bypass the immigrant visa process entirely, and they'll issue him a passport right there at USEM.

Not only faster, but a USC (or somebody they think may be a USC) is not eligible for any visa. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Hi! Our daughter had her CRBA last March 2017 and the whole process went smoothly.  It usually does given that you have all the required documents. I applied for the CRBA myself since Bobby was already in the US. 

And as long as you have all that, make sure that you and your wife will be equally knowledgeable about the whole process. She will be the one interviewed anyway. I am open to help you with any further questions. My copy of the CRBA forms are still on-hand. Just send me a message. Good luck. 

Oh, and yes, my husband sent the docs thru Fedex. 

For I130 docs she needs to send to you, DHL is cheaper. 

~ Chiqui of Bobchq

Reply to Greenbaum, Ah yeah these links are broken and old, its ok I have the forms and instructions needed to process my son's u.s. citizenship. 

Reply to AKteacher, ah yes I am currently married to my Filipina Spouse :) She is in Manila, waiting for me to file her and my Step daughter's I130. So I am here in the U.S. preparing their forms to be sent to the USCIS. I was wondering maybe file the CRBA and get his u.s passport first before mailing out the I130 due to reading something about the USCIS or NVC may ask for the child's documentation, since I wrote his name on the relatives of Beneficiary on form I130. 

Reply to BobChq, Great! I will be messaging you very soon once I gather the docs needed and when my Wife and son travel to the U.S. Embassy in Manila. FedeX, ok I will use them to mail my docs to the Embassy. Typically how long does mailing out to and from U.S. to Manila for the embassy to receive the docs? Can I send copies or do I need to send original documentation? 

Good luck. I am getting ready to file I-130 for my wife and she got pregnant on my trip there to get married. I plan to go visit shortly after our child is born and we will take care of the CRBA when I first land in Manila. Then we will go DFA there in Manila and renew her passport with her married name and get a Philippines passport for our child.

Keep us posted on how everything goes.

6 hours ago, Andrew&Vangie said:

Reply to BobChq, Great! I will be messaging you very soon once I gather the docs needed and when my Wife and son travel to the U.S. Embassy in Manila. FedeX, ok I will use them to mail my docs to the Embassy. Typically how long does mailing out to and from U.S. to Manila for the embassy to receive the docs? Can I send copies or do I need to send original documentation? 

Also make sure you get an appointment before sending her to US Embassy.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 10/21/2017 at 2:06 AM, Andrew&Vangie said:

Hi everyone, 

YOU are not a beneficiary to yourself... only list your spouse and children as beneficiaries.

You need to get CRBA done.. ASAP.  Don't be surprised if USEM questions you about the late filing, and make sure to have evidence of you being in the Philippines around the time of conception - having this could remove some doubts on the embassies part and avoid them asking for DNA.   You will apply for the U.S. passport at the same time.    Do make sure to have his Philippine passport as well.

Your wife can file CRBA without you being there.   These are current links with good information.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/crba/?_ga=2.119735233.838750747.1508646527-1822561796.1505266023

https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2017/01/CITIZENSHIP-CRBA-Checklist-2017-January.pdf

To send documents that need to be originals use FEDEX, UPS, DHL, LBC     If copies are all that are required ... EMAIL .  ;)   (wife doesn't have a printer she can copy the files to a USB stik and take them to a shop for printing)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My son was born in Canada 9/2016, my hubby is USC. We did the forms online and booked the appointment on the website through “US CITIZEN SERVICES”. 

We took our birth certificates & passports, previous marriage & divorce certificate. 

We joined a short line downstairs after security then into waiting area upstairs, we were called by a lady to verify our documents, she began asking if my husband has lived in the USA for the last 14 years and asked how many days since birth has he been absent from the USA (he is an airline pilot), he stood there in dismay and said “I don’t know what to tell you, I’ve been traveling since I was a baby and now I’m a pilot, I can give you my passport and you can check”. 

She then requested his university transcripts. 

A female supervisor overheard her and said “no you can’t ask him that, it’s okay, he qualifies” and she pulled her aside to have a word with her. 

The consular officer doing the interviews at the window sounded so strict. We were hoping we didn’t go to him. Sure enough, we got him, he only asked if he attended university in the states and if he’s lives in the USA his entire life (yes). He asked some other simple questions and also  a form asked if he did a DNA test because by doing the CRBA he is accepting the baby as his own and to take care of him for the next 18 (or 21 years, I can’t remember). 

We were approved and the certificate was mailed to me within a few days. That same day we applied for the USA Passport and Passport Card for baby, it arrived in 3 days. 

Same day, we applied for his Canadian Passport that arrived in 7 days. 

CRBA for us was a simple process, just bring evidence of your residency in the USA for the last 14 years. 

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

You will apply for the U.S. passport at the same time.    Do make sure to have his Philippine passport as well.

Is it necessary to have the Philippines passport first? I plan to do the CRBA first and go from the Embassy to the DFA to get the Philippines passport. I will make appointments for both in advance.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
36 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Is it necessary to have the Philippines passport first? I plan to do the CRBA first and go from the Embassy to the DFA to get the Philippines passport. I will make appointments for both in advance.

No.   What you have planned should be just fine.     

https://www.passport.gov.ph/requirements/new-application

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

To RO_AH, hi, I don't know how long you plan to stay in Manila, we waited almost weeks or more for her passport to be mailed ( Tacloban city, Leyte). Not sure how long the process will be for you, we even expedited it :( The passport of your Wife will be a good ID for the CRBA appointment, or you can use other IDs. accepted by the U.S. Embassy in Manila. 

My concern is if I mail out the docs needed will I need to pay for SASE to return my docs back to me in the States. I will need them for when the NVC asks on them after I file. But yeah I am going to file i130 after I get the CRBA done for my Son, I am pretty sure the NVC will be looking into his citizenship and relationship to me, seeing I added him as a relative on the beneficiaries list of family on the i130.

To Hank, hi. yeah, I read this section of listing your beneficiaries spouse as saying I should list the spouse, daughter and son, all relatives of the beneficiary and the spouse to the beneficiary. as seen in the attachment. So I am the beneficiaries spouse, and the relationship is HUSBAND or SPOUSE, I interpreted this as myself, the petitioner (spouse).

spouse.jpg

Edited by Andrew&Vangie

2 hours ago, Andrew&Vangie said:

To RO_AH, hi, I don't know how long you plan to stay in Manila, we waited almost weeks or more for her passport to be mailed ( Tacloban city, Leyte). Not sure how long the process will be for you, we even expedited it :( The passport of your Wife will be a good ID for the CRBA appointment, or you can use other IDs. accepted by the U.S. Embassy in Manila. 

I am not concerned about the length of time. The baby will be born in about 8 months. I am planing my trip there for when the baby is at least 6 weeks old (so he/she is old enough to travel to Manila). I will be filing my I-130 next month (November) so the baby will have passport long before it is time to travel to US which at the soonest would be next November, but more likely 2019.

2 hours ago, Andrew&Vangie said:

My concern is if I mail out the docs needed will I need to pay for SASE to return my docs back to me in the States. I will need them for when the NVC asks on them after I file. But yeah I am going to file i130 after I get the CRBA done for my Son, I am pretty sure the NVC will be looking into his citizenship and relationship to me, seeing I added him as a relative on the beneficiaries list of family on the i130.

I think you are confused as to what you are being advised here OR I may be misunderstanding you. The child that is yours and you are getting CRBA for will not part of the immigration process and will not be added to any of your I-130 documents. After the CRBA your child is a US Citizen and will always have free entry and exit to the US. The I-130 is an immigration form and your son will not be immigrating.

Edited by RO_AH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.