Jump to content
S*UK

NORTH CAROLINA DRIVERS - PLEASE HELP

17 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm really hoping someone can help me out, i've been looking for answers to this for so so long now.

 

Basically, I have my UK driving license. I want to drive in NC when I arrive on my K1 visa.

 

1) Can I use my UK driving license for 60 days? (Ok, so i've read online that in NC you can use an international driving license (i.e. a UK license) to drive for up to 60 days as long as you are not a resident ??)

 

2) How and when can I apply for a NC license? (so again, ive read online that to get a NC license you must present ID (passport, SSN), proof of legal stauts (I-94 and passport stamp) and proof of insurance (can I get on my fiance's insurance?)

 

3) Has ANYONE ever been able to do this in North Carolina before getting their EAD(so far I have NOT read ANYONE who has been able to sucessfully do this!)

 

I dont think I can live there for months without being able to drive so any info please help.

Edited by S*UK

Collin and Sophie

 

K1 Visa

First met at University: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC recieved our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

 

AOS

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My assumption is that you can apply once you have your SSN, you can apply for your NC driving license.

 

This link looks pretty helpful, https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/examples/ looks as if your I-194 and SSN card are enough but I don't know for definite I'm afraid :)


K1 & K2 Visa 

 

18th April 2017: I-129f sent

21st April 2017: NOA1 Received Date

25th April 2017: NOA1 Notice Date

26th April 2017: NOA1 text confirmation

2nd May 2017: NOA1 hardcopy

7th September 2017: NOA2 Approval date

21st September 2017: NVC Received
21st September 2017: NVC Case # Received

27th September 2017: Left NVC
27th September 2017: Case Ready

4th October 2017: Medical

12th October 2017: Interview

24th October 2017: Visas in Hand

27th October 2017: POE

16th December 2017: Wedding Day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Salty2305 said:

My assumption is that you can apply once you have your SSN, you can apply for your NC driving license.

 

This link looks pretty helpful, https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/examples/ looks as if your I-194 and SSN card are enough but I don't know for definite I'm afraid :)

I think this is true, however it is only valid for the 90 days of the K1.

After that you have an expired license. And you cannot get another one until EAD, it seems. Which is around 3 months atm! I can't go 3 months not being able to drive :cry:

Thanks for the link!


Collin and Sophie

 

K1 Visa

First met at University: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC recieved our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

 

AOS

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S*UK said:

I think this is true, however it is only valid for the 90 days of the K1.

After that you have an expired license. And you cannot get another one until EAD, it seems. Which is around 3 months atm! I can't go 3 months not being able to drive :cry:

Thanks for the link!

Aww that sucks! I still don't know how to drive here never mind in the US so it's a bit irrelevant to me at the moment :whistle:

 

Hope you find the answer! 


K1 & K2 Visa 

 

18th April 2017: I-129f sent

21st April 2017: NOA1 Received Date

25th April 2017: NOA1 Notice Date

26th April 2017: NOA1 text confirmation

2nd May 2017: NOA1 hardcopy

7th September 2017: NOA2 Approval date

21st September 2017: NVC Received
21st September 2017: NVC Case # Received

27th September 2017: Left NVC
27th September 2017: Case Ready

4th October 2017: Medical

12th October 2017: Interview

24th October 2017: Visas in Hand

27th October 2017: POE

16th December 2017: Wedding Day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, S*UK said:

I'm really hoping someone can help me out, i've been looking for answers to this for so so long now.

 

Basically, I have my UK driving license. I want to drive in NC when I arrive on my K1 visa.

 

1) Can I use my UK driving license for 60 days? (Ok, so i've read online that in NC you can use an international driving license (i.e. a UK license) to drive for up to 60 days as long as you are not a resident ??)

 

2) How and when can I apply for a NC license? (so again, ive read online that to get a NC license you must present ID (passport, SSN), proof of legal stauts (I-94 and passport stamp) and proof of insurance (can I get on my fiance's insurance?)

 

3) Has ANYONE ever been able to do this in North Carolina before getting their EAD(so far I have NOT read ANYONE who has been able to sucessfully do this!)

 

I dont think I can live there for months without being able to drive so any info please help.

we've just been through this in NC. You can drive on your UK license for 60 days. You cannot get a permanent license until you have your EAD. Even the state-issued ID card that you can get through DMV expires when the K1 visa expires. It is a pain in the neck, for sure! 


K-1 Visa Timeline

2016.04.18 -- I-129F Received by USCIS

2016.04.20 -- I-129F NOA1

2016.06.29 -- NOA

2016.08.15 -- Bangkok Embassy received our case from NVC

2016.08.23 -- Packet 3 sent to Embassy in Bangkok

2016.08.26 -- Packet 4 email received from Embassy

2016.09.05 -- Medical exam @ 10:30 AM @ BNH

2016.09.07 -- Interview @ 7:30 AM...Visa approved

2016.09.09 -- Visa Received

2016.10.02 -- Entered USA (POE LAX)

2016.11.18...Our Wedding Day 

AOS Timeline

2016.12.30 -- AOS, EAD, and AP applications delivered to Chicago PO

2017.01.21 -- NOA1's received via USPS for I-485 (AOS),  I-131 (AP), and I-765 (EAD)

2017.02.24 -- Biometrics Appointment

2017.04.20 -- AOS & EAD approved; NOA2's received via USPS on 2017.04.23

2017.04.29 -- EAD & AP combo card received

2017.06.06 -- AOS approved!

2017.06.10 -- Green Card received

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Salty2305 said:

Aww that sucks! I still don't know how to drive here never mind in the US so it's a bit irrelevant to me at the moment :whistle:

 

Hope you find the answer! 

I think thats kinda lucky actually, its hard to leave yet another thing behind. I take so much for granted, but at the same time I feel like its a basic human right :(

Thanks for your help


Collin and Sophie

 

K1 Visa

First met at University: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC recieved our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

 

AOS

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NDB052714 said:

we've just been through this in NC. You can drive on your UK license for 60 days. You cannot get a permanent license until you have your EAD. Even the state-issued ID card that you can get through DMV expires when the K1 visa expires. It is a pain in the neck, for sure! 

Thanks so much. This really really sucks.

I dont know if you can help but... since i'll be marrying someone in the military I will get some form of military ID once married. Do you think perhaps this could be used to prove residency on the military base? hmmm


Collin and Sophie

 

K1 Visa

First met at University: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC recieved our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

 

AOS

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/09/2017 at 4:59 PM, S*UK said:

I think this is true, however it is only valid for the 90 days of the K1.

After that you have an expired license. And you cannot get another one until EAD, it seems. Which is around 3 months atm! I can't go 3 months not being able to drive :cry:

Thanks for the link!

I feel you, I too, can't think what I will do with myself without being able to drive while waiting for EAD.

 

The thing is, what are we, residents ? What defines a resident ? Somewhere I read, only when you take up education/work, you become resident, which I think we won't do until we have our EAD anyway, so can't we drive on our UK licenses for up to a year as a "visitor" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/09/2017 at 5:35 PM, S*UK said:

 

1) Can I use my UK driving license for 60 days? (Ok, so i've read online that in NC you can use an international driving license (i.e. a UK license) to drive for up to 60 days as long as you are not a resident ??)

 

The international drivers permit can be obtained from a UK Post Office for £5.50. Not all branches offer the service though. You’ll need your passport, a passport photo and your driving license.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

 

Also, read the J and R section at the bottom of this page.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

Edited by June2017UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Moved to Moving Here and Y Our New Life, from K1 progress reports.~~


Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience is this:

 

Arrive on K1

get I94, birth certificate etc

Go to DMV, sit theory test & take driving test

Get issued a NC license valid for 90 days

 

Licence expires before EAD arrives, go back to DMV

They tell me nothing they can do until I have official status.

Go to the police station and ask them if I can use my expired NC license along with my UK license until my EAD arrives.

They were basically clueless, agreed it is an impossible situation and said that as I had no legal residential status I 'should' be ok with my UK license but that it is a grey area.

 

The insurance company had no problem with me using my UK license throughout.

 

Its one of the unseen pitfalls of the K1, have no real status until EAD/AOS is approved :(


Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, trudi said:

My experience is this:

 

Arrive on K1

get I94, birth certificate etc

Go to DMV, sit theory test & take driving test

Get issued a NC license valid for 90 days

 

Licence expires before EAD arrives, go back to DMV

They tell me nothing they can do until I have official status.

Go to the police station and ask them if I can use my expired NC license along with my UK license until my EAD arrives.

They were basically clueless, agreed it is an impossible situation and said that as I had no legal residential status I 'should' be ok with my UK license but that it is a grey area.

 

The insurance company had no problem with me using my UK license throughout.

 

Its one of the unseen pitfalls of the K1, have no real status until EAD/AOS is approved :(

I read in another forum someone emailed the person in charge of the DMV in NC. Basically said 'hey, your website says NOA is suitable for proof of status but your staff arent allowing me to use it, blah blah'

 

Worth a shot and its def what i'll be doing!

17 hours ago, June2017UK said:

The international drivers permit can be obtained from a UK Post Office for £5.50. Not all branches offer the service though. You’ll need your passport, a passport photo and your driving license.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

 

Also, read the J and R section at the bottom of this page.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

International drivers permits are not accepted in North Carolina.


Collin and Sophie

 

K1 Visa

First met at University: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC recieved our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

 

AOS

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, troika said:

I feel you, I too, can't think what I will do with myself without being able to drive while waiting for EAD.

 

The thing is, what are we, residents ? What defines a resident ? Somewhere I read, only when you take up education/work, you become resident, which I think we won't do until we have our EAD anyway, so can't we drive on our UK licenses for up to a year as a "visitor" ?

In North Carolina, you can use your UK license itself (not an international drivers permit though) for 60 days only. So basically, no, we cant just use the UK license.


Collin and Sophie

 

K1 Visa

First met at University: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC recieved our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

 

AOS

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, S*UK said:

 

International drivers permits are not accepted in North Carolina.

It wouldn't surprise me. When I started researching IDP's, there were warnings everywhere on the google results stating that there are unapproved agencies issuing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, June2017UK said:

It wouldn't surprise me. When I started researching IDP's, there were warnings everywhere on the google results stating that there are unapproved agencies issuing them.

Yea, they are obviously more content seeing a real UK license in NC. You can use your UK license, but only for 60 days as a 'visitor' and then if you got stopped you would be driving illegally. Which, of course, for a K1 visa holder is no use. You can get a NC DL for 90 days anyway.


Collin and Sophie

 

K1 Visa

First met at University: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC recieved our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

 

AOS

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×