Hdiesel4

My journey and experience so far... long read!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey VJers !!  

Soooo my journey timeline in dot form and maybe a little bit extra...

• October 2015 - entered Diversity Visa Program
  • 5th May 2016 - I checked the DV site and was notified that I was randomly selected for further processing. Filed ds-206 form 5 or so days later.
  • 21st November - Checked the DV site and got the official notice to pursue my application for DV-2017. Where an appointment was scheduled at the U.S. Consulate.

So I applied from Melbourne, Australia. They do not hold DV interviews at the U.S. Embassy in Melbourne so I was scheduled for an interview appointment for the 10th of January 2017.

• 30th Nov 2016 - I had received my police check, so I would have gotten this done maybe the 21st Nov when I found out my interview time.
  • December 1st 2016 - roughly around that time I had booked my medical exam for the 4th of January.
  • 4th of January 2017 - Went in for my medical exam and cost me around $600aud

At this point I was stressing out because my interview was for the 10th and didn't know if my medical results would be completed in time and I'm one of those who need to have everything in my hand and ready! The 4th of Jan was a Wednesday and unfortunately my examiner wasn't back til the following Monday which fell on the 9th of Jan. Soo the stress was piling on cause on top of that my flight to Sydney was on the 9th and 12pmish. The reason for me risking this was cause I needed a longer validation before I could enter the US due to work and other commitments so that's why I did the medical real close to the interview date.

• 9th of January 2017 - went into the city and thankfully as I arrived the examiner was going through my results. Picked up and took my medical envelope that you DO NOT open. 
  • 10th of January 2017 - went to the U.S. Consulate in Sydney Australia for appointment at 10.45am.

I arrived a little earlier like got there at 10 but didn't get into the building 10 mins later cause I was lost and there wasn't much signage and I probably was stressing myself out so was lost haha. 

Some what of my interview process -

•  walked in and handed everything to the 'receptionist' 

(handed everything as in, my passport, education certificates, birth cert, medical exam, confirm application of ds-206, police check, the address of my U.S. Address)

• Went through security, they took my phone, watch and returned all my documents back.
  • they told me to walk through some doors and to take a number and then take a seat (there literally only me and another person waiting)
  • i got called up

( hello how are you, handed over paper work, been to the US before? A little silence, okay you have been approved for your visa we will mail your passport back with your visa congrats!)

honestly they didn't ask much about anything, I'm pretty sure the 'interview' is just to make sure all documents are correct and completed. 

• 16th of January 2017 - my brown/yellow envelope that you DO NOT open with my passport and visa arrived in the mail!! 
  • The visa in passport expires 3rd July 2017.

So at this point I had booked flights for the 15th of June 2017. 

• 15th June 2017 - POE Houston Texas 
  • 12.30pm flight landed 
  • 12.50 got into customs line (luckily came at the time I did, it started to get busy with all the other flights arriving.)
  • 1pm got to the counter and the lady went over my documents and then put them aside and called up another agent who took me through to a room where other agents go through visa stuff and what not (I was the first one in that room 2 others arrived shortly after.)
  • 1.10pm the agent that was going over my case called me up and notified that it was all completed. Double checked my address, I told him that I was changing addresses so gave him the correct one and he fixed it for me. Told me GC would arrive 30-60 days in mail. I mentioned SSN and he said to just go into an office and apply.
  • 1.20pm was out and at baggage claim!

yay grabbed all my stuff And went to the hotel ! Same day 15th of June I wondered around Houston and came across Chase Bank my preferred banking option... unfortunately they did not open an account for me because I did not have proof of address and SSN and Physical GC. 

• 16th June 2017 - went to Bank Of America and opened up a bank account with them and voila, I am now a BOA customer! 

I was pretty sure I clicked the whole send me a SSN so I did not worry about going to an office to apply and what not and decided to wait the 2 weeks for it and hope for the best. I also had a SSN before from a previous trip and work program I did so was hoping the system picked that up.

• 26th June 2017 - I flew to Florida where I am basing myself and will be calling home !!

• 28th June 2017 - checked my, myuscis account and excitedly it was 'Last updated: 06/28/2017 to Card produced - (NON-DACA) USCIS has produced your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) and mailed it to the address you provided.'

• 29th June 2017 - I received a letter in the mail from the Social Security Administration notifying me that my SSN couldn't be processed and to visit a SSO to sort it out in other words. So sadly no SSN but a trip to the SSO.

• 30th June 2017 - I arrived at the SSO at 8.15am and there was a line already I knew this so that's why I came early, i got in and got a ticket for a replacement card at 9.03a. I got called up at 9.35am, They found my old SSN and The issue was that the names of my parents were wrong so they just needed to check my birth certificate and fix that up, told me my SSN will be mailed out in 2 weeks! 
  • 30th June 2017 - decided I would try my chances at getting a FL drivers license!!

I went to a DMV and brought my documents, Passport, proof of address and the letter of receipt for SSN. With my AUS DL they don't have a partnership thing so was told I had to take a test (multiple choice) and then a driving test. So i was like sure why not take the test today!!! 

I passed the multiple choice test (YAY) and booked my drivers test in 2 weeks!! 

• 30th of June - It really is my lucky day!!! I get home and check my mail and what's in it?? MY GC!!! Yep I was a lucky person my GC has arrived in the mail at 2 days after the 'Last Updated' and at 15 days after POE! 

That brings me to the end of my journey so far... now all I have to wait for is SSN in mail and for me to pass my drivers test and I'm ready!!! 

Also flying back to Australia on the 30th of July to settle things and make money to support myself for my official move sometime in April!

im just really happy that I fly back home with the physical GC In my possession and hope that I can take my SSC and DL with me too!! 

Thank you to all those who helped me out especially SusieQQQ!!!!! 

And thanks for reading I know it's a massive post but I just thought I'd give some insight to my experience as that's what I was looking for when I first applied !! 

Goodluck to all and thanks again !!! 

Timeline
On 01/07/2017 at 2:05 AM, databit said:

Very thorough summary!

Haha I tried to remember everything so Iv probably missed a few things !! 

On 02/07/2017 at 9:40 PM, PazzoNero said:

Congrats mate .. good stuff!

Thanks bud, it's a real good relief that's for sure !!

Timeline

Update: 

So last time I was here Iv been waiting for me Social Security Card to arrive in the mail... I was expecting it to arrive exactly 2 weeks but it came home earlier ! A week earlier, so went in 30th of June and card arrived 8th of July ! 

Today I went for my Drivers License and passed yay!! Was at the DMV for maybe 2.5 hours ! Signing in and then waiting to do the actual driving test and then. Doing the test and then waiting for them to call me up with my documents, then waiting for them to put my details into the system and then waited again for my license card to be made on the spot ! 

I have completed all my set goals and have everything in my possession and now it's time to make some money for my official move next year :) 

thanks all and goodluck !!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sounds smooth! Good luck for the rest of it :)

And its mostly thanks to you SusieQQQ!! You eased my mind and gave me lots and lots of info!! So thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! 

• 2 months later...

Hi HDeisel4,

Thanks so much for the thorough summary mate it has eased my mind alot to hear it all go smoothly. I was lucky enough to win for the 2018 lottery!

I just had a question for you- What was your case number? My case Number is approximately 700 (of approximately 1400 visas for Oceania) and I am trying to wrap my head around when my interview will be as I am living over in London. 

Cheers mate

Will

1 hour ago, Wilberwhistle said:

I am trying to wrap my head around when my interview will be as I am living over in London. 

Just to ensure you know that where you live doesn’t affect your interview date - it’s entirely dependent on your case number.

the britsimonsays website should have some discussion of interview timing. It’s not uniform year to year but you can get some idea by looking at previous years’ visa bulletins.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
On 10/9/2017 at 11:08 PM, Wilberwhistle said:

I just had a question for you- What was your case number?

Hey Will,

sorry its taken me almost a week to reply! things have been crazy, literally working everyday! My case number was 643! Though i didn't really follow or understand the cut off and what not, i literally just waited and kept checking back on the DV website on any updates! fingers crossed things update for you and good luck!

1 hour ago, Hdiesel4 said:

Hey Will,

sorry its taken me almost a week to reply! things have been crazy, literally working everyday! My case number was 643! Though i didn't really follow or understand the cut off and what not, i literally just waited and kept checking back on the DV website on any updates! fingers crossed things update for you and good luck!

So stress on the timing, thanks for the reply mate its much appreciated! Hope all is working out for you over there!

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for your quite helpful summary.

I live in Sydney and am currently preparing for an interview scheduled for early February 

Im curious as to whether you ordered an Australian federal police check based on fingerprints or not?

the online guide states a police certificate based on fingerprints is preferred but one not will be accepted if it shows a list of all aliases.

I’ve never had an alias plus I’m also dealing with processing timeframes (30 days based on fingerprint and 15 days for the online app no fingerprint)

i have no idea what the AFP police cert looks like and whether it covers off aliases 

any info/insights would be much appreciated 

Timeline
On 05/01/2018 at 8:05 PM, Chazzleo said:

Thank you so much for your quite helpful summary.

I live in Sydney and am currently preparing for an interview scheduled for early February 

Im curious as to whether you ordered an Australian federal police check based on fingerprints or not?

the online guide states a police certificate based on fingerprints is preferred but one not will be accepted if it shows a list of all aliases.

I’ve never had an alias plus I’m also dealing with processing timeframes (30 days based on fingerprint and 15 days for the online app no fingerprint)

i have no idea what the AFP police cert looks like and whether it covers off aliases 

any info/insights would be much appreciated 

Hey there,

Sorry for delayed response things have been hectic! 

I only ordered the basic police check, no fingerprints and there were no questions asked! 

Unless things have changed in the last year a basic police check is perfectly fine!

Hope that helps!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.