veronicavonn

US Citizen filing for German adult stepson

12 posts in this topic

My stepsons 3 week vacation (and first time to the USA) is coming to an end. We will be driving them to the airport tomorrow. The older of the two has decided he wants to move here now. He is 23 and unmarried. I am a US citizen. My husband became an LPR in October 2013.

I have been reading through the guides on this topic but I want to make sure that I am currect.

The process for bringing over my adult stepson looks like it's going to take up to 3 years. is that correct? Can anyone tell me if the process is actually faster or slower than it looks like?

Thank you in advance.

I am the USC, my husband is German.

I resided in Germany from July 2008-October 2013.

I have two stepsons who are staying in Germany.

Our son was born 3/3/2012 and our daughter was born 4/4/2015.

DCF STARTED!MAY 14, 2013: I-130 Petition sent to Frankfurt as registered mail w/ return receipt!

MAY 15, 2013: Mail signed for in Frankfurt. NOA1

MAY 21, 2013: Return receipt came back in the mail.

MAY 25, 2013: $420 Petition fee was charged to our credit card.

MAY 25, 2013: NOA1 paperwork received in the mail.

JULY 12, 2013: NOA2 received.

JULY 13, 2013: NOA2 sent back.

AUG 15, 2013: Packet 3 sent in.

AUG 30, 2013: Husband's medical in Berlin.

SEPT 12, 2013: Received letter with husband's interview date!

SEPT 19, 2013: INTERVIEW. APPROVED!!

SEPT 21, 2013: Visa received.

OCT 5, 2013: POE in Newark, NJ (layover).

DEC 17, 2013: SSN Card finally arrived!

DEC 19, 2013: Husband (beneficiary) got his first job in the USA! And he loves it!

DEC 28, 2013: Green card arrived!

FUTURE: Visas for my stepsons!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How old was he when you married?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

They were 12 and 16 when we got married. They are both eligible. Only the older of the two wants to move right now. He will be 24 in November.

DCF STARTED!MAY 14, 2013: I-130 Petition sent to Frankfurt as registered mail w/ return receipt!

DEC 19, 2013: Husband (beneficiary) got his first job in the USA! And he loves it!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You as the step-parent can file the i130 but it will take 8 years. Not 3. He should remain single the entire time. Marriage will only prolong his wait.

Edited by apple21

Timeline

Looks at the moment it will be quicker for your Husband to file, switches back and fore.

Say 7 or 8 years, anyway no time soon so file, let him get on with his life and then see what he wants to do when it is near to becoming current.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The main difference is that a LPR can not file for a married child, if he marries after his Father naturalises then all is good.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The main difference is that a LPR can not file for a married child, if he marries after his Father naturalises then all is good.

True. I only pointed out the difference in waiting times.

Thank you both. We have a disappointed faces in the house now. Haha

Timeline

Find him a girlfriend?

Worked for his dad.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Each can file separate petitions. Good idea to have insurance rather than rely on humanitarian relief.

Dad is eligible to be a USC in 2016, and this will allow him to take advantage of either the F1 category (automatic change when dad becomes a USC) or F2b (through CSPA retention of category request).

We've been trying! He had two dates with a girl and tomorrow she is driving him (with us) to the airport. We have no idea where it will lead, but I told him the estimated wait for a fiance visa.

Edited by veronicavonn

Timeline

Go get er!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.