zuluweta

Philippine food banned by US Customs

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

OP, you're going to California. You don't have to bring all those things. You can easily find it there. Spare yourself the trouble of worrying if what you brought will be confiscated by customs.

I highly doubt they will confiscate medicine, but if they do it no big deal.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So do they open ALL balikbayan boxes, random, or only if you look suspicious? Guess it would be worthwhile to take a roll of carton sealing tape in carryon just in case, correct?

Random

But if you make start making a lot of trips to and from Philippines Customs will usually make you do a secondary inspection, but it no big deal they just look thru you luggage and are looking more for hidden money or drugs...

I highly doubt they will confiscate medicine, but if they do it no big deal.

OP didn't say anything about medicines. Just magic sarap, chicharon and bagoong. That's what I was responding to.

You better be careful with that, your wife might demand you eat balut or durian before ever getting in her panties again. laughing.gif

Ate both ;) figured it was a must to be a part of the culture....not bad, but not for everyone. I loved Durian though. The balut while not bad, certainly won't be looking for it when in the Philippines.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jackfruit....yes!!

Santol......absolutely!!

Durian....sure!

Balut... hell no. Though it's my fiancées fave.

My girl told me a story about swallowing a Santol pit/seed when she was three. Did not turn out well for her lol.

Edited by Shauneg

• 5 years later...
10 hours ago, Marian Cedeno said:

Hello, I would like to ask if Filipino chips like Nova, Chippy, Mang Juan, Mr. Chips, and Piattos are allowed in the US.

Yes, of course they are allowed here in the USA. I actually bought some Nova chips last week at the local Filipino store. Where are you moving to if you don't mind me asking?

On 6/10/2015 at 1:24 PM, _Paul&Jesica_ said:

It might be banned to bring in via your flight but you can order it online at Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Maggi-Magic-Sarap-All--Seasoning/dp/B005M8T4F2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433957009&sr=8-2&keywords=magic+sarap

I was about to say. magic Sarap is pretty much a staple of most any Asian market with a Filipino section her in the USA. The only thing we ever had a problem with was pork skins. In ATL " which has the worst customs in the free world" they have a little beagle sniffing your bag, so make sure you are honest. We had to throw away several bags of pork skins. The vast amount of stinky dried fish was fine.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:57 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yes, of course they are allowed here in the USA. I actually bought some Nova chips last week at the local Filipino store. Where are you moving to if you don't mind me asking?

I live in a town of 75K  that has 2 Asian stores that carry whole rows of chips,. I love these

JACK JILL CHIPPY BARBEQUE 4.06OZ Corn chips made from the select ...

On 7/3/2020 at 9:57 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

Oh okay. It’s just that I didn’t know If they were allowed in my luggage. I’m currently a university student in San Antonio. thanks y’all!

32 minutes ago, Marian Cedeno said:

Oh okay. It’s just that I didn’t know If they were allowed in my luggage. I’m currently a university student in San Antonio. thanks y’all!

Yes, of course they are allowed in the luggage. You can also buy them from one of the Filipino stores in and San Antonio. Which it looks like quite a few Filipino Stores around that area: 

Sari-Sari Filipino Restaurant, Market, & Bakery

Pearl of the Orient

Tabares Phillippine Market

Susie's Lumpia House

Filipino Express

Tim's Oriental & Seafood Market

44 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I live in a town of 75K  that has 2 Asian stores that carry whole rows of chips,. I love these

JACK JILL CHIPPY BARBEQUE 4.06OZ Corn chips made from the select ...

There is a Filipino store in Nam' but it is a small one and even it has all the Nova chips you can ask for. But what it doesn't have is fresh fish, so most pinoys go to the Korean market for that

21 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yes, of course they are allowed in the luggage. You can also buy them from one of the Filipino stores in and San Antonio. Which it looks like quite a few Filipino Stores around that area: 

Sari-Sari Filipino Restaurant, Market, & Bakery

Pearl of the Orient

Tabares Phillippine Market

Susie's Lumpia House

Filipino Express

Tim's Oriental & Seafood Market

Most Military towns are going to have Asian stores that carry Pinoy products.  San Antonio has 2 very major Military bases

On 7/9/2020 at 6:07 AM, Marian Cedeno said:

I always pack a large suitcase full of all kinds of chips and snacks when returning from Philippines. As others here have said, most are available here in the US. I am in Hawaii and we have lots of stores carrying Filipino snacks and foods. One big no no is chicharrones, I had those confiscated when I tried to bring them in. I did not know that they were not allowed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.