lovenet

i am really nervous... need help!!!!

14 posts in this topic

me and my fiance we both are divorced...we have filed in for k1..do i need to worry for the interview...even though we have got our no2...i am very nervous...can someone please guide me for this...thanks

They could ask you about previous marriage of you and your fiancee. You will need to show the proof for divorce, but nothing to worry about. A lot of people are divorced and filing for K-1 (I am one of them).

Don't worry as long as you have enough evidence to show the relationship you should be fine.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

ive seen people on here that have been divorced 3 or 4 times and they havent had any problems. so long as you have the divorce decrees and you can answer questions that might come up at interview about the previous marriages then you should be fine

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi friend,

Dont worry about you both are divorce the earlier post is right,there are people who are divorce plenty of time,but they got approved.As long as you have divorce papers your fine,the Co might asked about your previous MARRIAGE,why and when,AS long as you have a paper for that you can relax.Focus on what your case now,study all the details and organize your paper works before going to the interview,BEing nervous wouldnt help you,instead be calm as much as u can.

good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

ive seen people on here that have been divorced 3 or 4 times and they havent had any problems. so long as you have the divorce decrees and you can answer questions that might come up at interview about the previous marriages then you should be fine

Many people are divorced. Just have your original divorce decrees and solid current relationship evidence. I think you do not have a reason to worry much.

Allah[swt] says: “You may have someone in your mind, someone in your heart, someone in your dreams, someone in your life, but I am your someone when you have no one"He[swt] reminds us saying "O Prophet! Allah is sufficient for you and for the believers who follow you." [[Qur'an:8:4]] So when you slip and fall, remind yourself of Ar-Rahman Ar-Rahim, the One whose always there, just waiting for your Call!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It depends on the country. It can be a big issue in some countries if either the petitioner or beneficiary were divorced recently, especially if their relationship began before they were divorced. It can also be an issue if the petitioner's ex-spouse became a permanent resident through their marriage, or if the beneficiary was previously married to a US citizen. All of these things can be signs of potential visa fraud to a consular officer.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

There will not be a problem as long as the divorces are proven and legal. They may want to see if you have financial liabilities, like alimony and such, that will affect your ability to provide for the beneficiary. You simply have to be legally free to marry and today a divorce is not uncommon. Just make sure to have the final disposition paperwork and not simply the papers files with the courts. You want the one with the judge's signature and court stamps on it as well as the date of dissolution.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

They could ask you about previous marriage of you and your fiancee. You will need to show the proof for divorce, but nothing to worry about. A lot of people are divorced and filing for K-1 (I am one of them).

Don't worry as long as you have enough evidence to show the relationship you should be fine.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Thank you so much for ur help...it has really made me feel better...yes i have all the proofs of dissolution of my previous marriage...thanks once again...really hoping the interview goes well..and we get the visa...

hi friend,

Dont worry about you both are divorce the earlier post is right,there are people who are divorce plenty of time,but they got approved.As long as you have divorce papers your fine,the Co might asked about your previous MARRIAGE,why and when,AS long as you have a paper for that you can relax.Focus on what your case now,study all the details and organize your paper works before going to the interview,BEing nervous wouldnt help you,instead be calm as much as u can.

good luck.

Thank u so much for your suggestion...i really appreciate...hope everything goes well at the interview...

Timeline

There will not be a problem as long as the divorces are proven and legal. They may want to see if you have financial liabilities, like alimony and such, that will affect your ability to provide for the beneficiary. You simply have to be legally free to marry and today a divorce is not uncommon. Just make sure to have the final disposition paperwork and not simply the papers files with the courts. You want the one with the judge's signature and court stamps on it as well as the date of dissolution.

This is a generalization based on a first world viewpoint, and it may not be true in the OP's case. Divorce can be a very big deal, depending on what country the beneficiary is from, how recently the divorce was granted, whether either party still maintains close ties with their ex-spouse, and whether the petitioner and beneficiary were still married when their relationship began.

One VJ member met his wife while he was working in Vietnam, and both of them were in the process of divorcing but still married. They spent months in AP, and went through an in-depth investigation by the consulate's Fraud Prevention Unit, which included visits to the beneficiary's hometown and calls to the petitioner and their employer. In every other way, their relationship fit the VJ playbook for a perfect interview experience. The recent divorces and overlapping relationships were their only significant red flag.

Another VJ member was denied a K1 visa at the consulate because he was allowing his ex-wife to rent a room from him and the consulate found out about it. They presumed the divorce was obtained as a matter of convenience so that the petitioner would be eligible to submit a petition to help the beneficiary immigrate. There have been other cases where a visa was denied because the consulate found out that the beneficiary still maintained ties with an ex-spouse. In those cases they suspect the beneficiary divorced in order to be eligible for a fiancee or spousal visa, and that they probably intend to divorce the US citizen petitioner as soon as they are able and ultimately petition for their previous spouse.

It's important for everyone to be aware of what the consulate in their country considers to be indicators of potential visa fraud, and to know whether any of those circumstances exist in their own case, and be prepared to address them appropriately. This includes divorce.

Filed: Timeline

I wasn't worried before, but after seeing this thread, now I'm worried... thanks. I'm divorced after being married 10 years to someone I brought here with a K1 visa. I started communicating with my fiancee before the divorce was finalized (but the ex wife had moved out and was gone 2 years earlier.... nothing wrong was going on here). They are taking very long to approve and send the NOA2 and I'm wondering why.

Timeline

I wasn't worried before, but after seeing this thread, now I'm worried... thanks. I'm divorced after being married 10 years to someone I brought here with a K1 visa. I started communicating with my fiancee before the divorce was finalized (but the ex wife had moved out and was gone 2 years earlier.... nothing wrong was going on here). They are taking very long to approve and send the NOA2 and I'm wondering why.

It's possible that they're investigating the circumstances of the previous marriage. Impossible to know for sure because USCIS isn't likely to spill the beans. How was your income for the previous petition? Did you need a joint sponsor? In cases involving multiple immigrants through the same petitioner, and a petitioner with low income, they sometimes suspect someone who is being paid to help people immigrate. If income isn't an issue then they'd be less likely to suspect you were knowingly used to get a green card. However, if your previous wife was also from the Philippines then they might figure you're a sucker for Filipinas, and they might look at the previous marriage to see if there's a chance you got suckered, and might be getting suckered again. Dunno. Hope you get your NOA2 soon! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

me and my fiance we both are divorced...we have filed in for k1..do i need to worry for the interview...even though we have got our no2...i am very nervous...can someone please guide me for this...thanks

No worries, have your divorce decrees available and be ready to answer why the two marriages didn't work out.

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Filed: Timeline

It's possible that they're investigating the circumstances of the previous marriage. Impossible to know for sure because USCIS isn't likely to spill the beans. How was your income for the previous petition? Did you need a joint sponsor? In cases involving multiple immigrants through the same petitioner, and a petitioner with low income, they sometimes suspect someone who is being paid to help people immigrate. If income isn't an issue then they'd be less likely to suspect you were knowingly used to get a green card. However, if your previous wife was also from the Philippines then they might figure you're a sucker for Filipinas, and they might look at the previous marriage to see if there's a chance you got suckered, and might be getting suckered again. Dunno. Hope you get your NOA2 soon! :thumbs:

My income then, and now, is terrific. And, both beneficiaries were/are basically poor and would have no capability of paying me anything that would even slightly make it "worthwhile" to commit fraud.

Which reminds me... 11 or so years ago when we (ex-wife) were flying back from the Philippines, we bumped into a Filipina on the flight to the US who chatted with us and proudly admitted she was committing visa fraud. She was paying the American $10,000... I couldn't believe any American would do this, and for so little. The fees plus the flights alone would eat up nearly half of that, and then there's the whole "you're in big trouble if you get caught" thing plus all the wasted time, plus all the costs of the future divorce. To this day I'm still baffled... she showed us pictures of them together that she brought to the interview, and he did not look happy or interested in being with her at all... that "OMG this sucks get me out of here" look. Yet she passed the interview with very unconvincing evidence. Plus, she was super hot and he looked like your typical person on Fox's "Cops" show... not sure why he'd want a fake marriage when he could just as well have had a real marriage. Oh well!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.