Sign in to follow this  
AnaAndDaniel

Dallas Texas

76 posts in this topic

According to the FBI report. Here an article MSN Artcicle that talks about it.

Isn't Texas the state with most guns per ppl?

I say it is the awful wedather that get folks all worked up and more likely to commit a crime. :P

Daniel

:energetic:

Edited by AnaAndDaniel

Speaking as a native Dallasite and as someone who is about to return to Dallas-Fort Worth in a few months, I have to confess that I never saw the level of crime assumed by these surveys. I myself was never a victim of crime in DFW. Ever. In fact, I had to move to the UK in order for my house to be robbed, my car vandalized, my cat run over and killed, my post to be stolen, and for people to put THEIR garbage in MY garbage can.

If you're in DFW as long as you are in one of the more affluent surburbs, or a good area of a normal surburb...or in a relatively affluent part of Dallas itself, YOU WILL BE FINE. Parkies and North Dallasites practically never shoot each other.

Also, you have to take into account the fact that the DFW metro area has absorbed tens of thousands of Hurricane Katrina refugees, 60% of whom are both below the poverty line AND unemployed. Houston has seen a spike in crime since taking in Katrina refugees, and so has Dallas. Also, the violent crime rate as a whole had dropped enormously in the last 15 years. When I was in high school, Dallas had between 500-700 murders a year. That's just Dallas itself, not the DFW area. That figure was below 200 the last time I checked, so obviously things have improved. It may still be one of the more violent cities in the USA, but let's have some perspective.

Dallas gets dissed enough...we Dallasites get a little tired of it. At least people don't bring up the JFK assassination every single time I say I'm from Dallas, but geez...I sure got sick of that one. Dallas is an AMAZING city where you can make your own success while indulging your every cultural whim. I think it's a GREAT place and I can't wait to bring my husband with me to Dallas and raise a family there. It's awesome.

I say it is the awful wedather that get folks all worked up and more likely to commit a crime. :P

Daniel

daniel, that dallas is reported in this news article as having the most crimes per people has zip to do with how many guns people have there. it also could well be that the people in dallas report crime more often than the other cities.

p.s. i notice you're not crowing about san jose being #2 :P

Speaking as a native Dallasite and as someone who is about to return to Dallas-Fort Worth in a few months, I have to confess that I never saw the level of crime assumed by these surveys. I myself was never a victim of crime in DFW. Ever. In fact, I had to move to the UK in order for my house to be robbed, my car vandalized, my cat run over and killed, my post to be stolen, and for people to put THEIR garbage in MY garbage can.

If you're in DFW as long as you are in one of the more affluent surburbs, or a good area of a normal surburb...or in a relatively affluent part of Dallas itself, YOU WILL BE FINE. Parkies and North Dallasites practically never shoot each other.

Also, you have to take into account the fact that the DFW metro area has absorbed tens of thousands of Hurricane Katrina refugees, 60% of whom are both below the poverty line AND unemployed. Houston has seen a spike in crime since taking in Katrina refugees, and so has Dallas. Also, the violent crime rate as a whole had dropped enormously in the last 15 years. When I was in high school, Dallas had between 500-700 murders a year. That's just Dallas itself, not the DFW area. That figure was below 200 the last time I checked, so obviously things have improved. It may still be one of the more violent cities in the USA, but let's have some perspective.

Dallas gets dissed enough...we Dallasites get a little tired of it. At least people don't bring up the JFK assassination every single time I say I'm from Dallas, but geez...I sure got sick of that one. Dallas is an AMAZING city where you can make your own success while indulging your every cultural whim. I think it's a GREAT place and I can't wait to bring my husband with me to Dallas and raise a family there. It's awesome.

My two favourite cities in US are Atlanta (time spent there works in this city's favour) and Dallas.

For Dallas, the big plusses for me were:

• no state income tax (currently, I would keep another $300 if I lived in Dallas instead of Baltimore)
  • good Mexican AND excellent Indian (including the SOUTH Indian Pasand) restaurants (Atlanta barely holds a candle on these scores; while DC-area has some good South Indian ones, it means a 48-plus km drive from Balto to DC area)

(note: I lived in Dallas for about 6 months, 9 years ago).

Daniel

daniel, that dallas is reported in this news article as having the most crimes per people has zip to do with how many guns people have there. it also could well be that the people in dallas report crime more often than the other cities.

Also, SJ loses on several other points:

• very high state income tax
  • state sales tax no lower than that of TX
  • accomodation costs nearly TRIPLE

Daniel

for once I agree with you. guns don't commit crimes, criminals do.

Daniel

don't make a habit of it :lol:

don't make a habit of it :lol:

ok, so it is stipulated: lots guns and criminals in Dallas Texas. :P

Daniel

oooh and apparently they have a problem with pants falling halway down its' fine citizen's arses. :blink:

(please see the thread in this forum regarding that issue).

Daniel

texas suxs

"Say it agayen!" quote of the day by Major Liceman

and say it loud! <-- thanks to the godfather of soul the hardest working man in showbiz.

Daniel

Ohhh.... a get back... i justa wana... wanna kiss myself... #smack# hheeaaayyyy!

texas suxs

"Say it agayen!" quote of the day by Major Liceman

and say it loud! <-- thanks to the godfather of soul the hardest working man in showbiz.

Daniel

Ohhh.... a get back... i justa wana... wanna kiss myself... #smack# hheeaaayyyy!

*assistant walks on stage an places a regal robe on his back*

Daniel