JanRo08

Petitioner with a felony

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all VJ members:

I'm new here and would like get the advice, suggestion, help..etc from members of the VJ forum. My question is, I would like to know what affect it would have on the K1 petition process, if the Petitioner has a non-violent crime felony conviction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hard for people to give accurate advice or suggestions when they dont know what the felony is or what happend with the conviction.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Depending on the crime it could have devastating consequences or none. Assuming it is not a drug, prostitution, sex slave, domestic violence, child abuse, etc crime probably no affect on the petition but without knowing the exact conviction it is hard to say.

Hi all VJ members:

I'm new here and would like get the advice, suggestion, help..etc from members of the VJ forum. My question is, I would like to know what affect it would have on the K1 petition process, if the Petitioner has a non-violent crime felony conviction.

it depends on the felony, how long ago it was committed etc. this is why in the application, the petitioner is required to indicate the details. if it's a non-violent crime and the one and only crime committed and was committed many years before, you can imagine that it won't have as much effect compared to one that's recent, serious, and one of many committed =)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks to those who replied. The crime was actually a misdemeanor non-violent (domestic violence) that was almost 10 years ago. The sentenced was a suspended jail time and mandatory counseling. I noticed on part C or I-129F that it listed it with all the other violent crime.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks to those who replied. The crime was actually a misdemeanor non-violent (domestic violence) that was almost 10 years ago. The sentenced was a suspended jail time and mandatory counseling. I noticed on part C or I-129F that it listed it with all the other violent crime.

Yep, it's covered by the IMBRA. You'll need to get all of the court and police records, as indicated in the I-129F form instructions.

The purpose of the IMBRA is not to deny petitioners with a criminal history, but to protect beneficiaries from unknowingly hooking up with US citizens who might abuse them. The bulk of the IMBRA law is about disclosure - informing the beneficiary about the criminal history of the petitioner so that they aren't entering a relationship with someone they don't know much about. It's also about requiring International Marriage Brokers (IMB's) to collect this information from Americans, and to disclose it to foreigners before initiating contact between them. That's why they ask if you met through an IMB. If so, they'll check to make sure the IMB complied with the law. In any case, Department of State will make sure your fiancee gets a copy of your criminal records before the interview.

The only time the IMBRA requirements are used to deny a petition is if the petitioner has a conviction which falls under the IMBRA, and they are also asking for a waiver of the multiple filing limitations. They may deny the petition, in that case. If this is your first I-129F petition then they won't deny it because you have a conviction which falls under the IMBRA. They just require the records so that they can be given to your fiancee.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 3 weeks later...
The only time the IMBRA requirements are used to deny a petition is if the petitioner has a conviction which falls under the IMBRA, and they are also asking for a waiver of the multiple filing limitations. They may deny the petition, in that case. If this is your first I-129F petition then they won't deny it because you have a conviction which falls under the IMBRA. They just require the records so that they can be given to your fiancee.

This was also our understanding before, and why we didn't send a waiver with our petition. Our petition was denied. My fiancé has, in the past, been convicted of 4 DUI's and 1 drug possession, but since our K1 petition was his first, we believed we didn't need to submit a waiver. We were wrong, apparently. The denial letter stated that his multiple convictions have made him ineligible to petition for an I-129f for me, and we didn't give them any reason to waive ineligibility, so they couldn't approve the petition. We are still confused, to this day, but have decided to move on. We are getting married in my country and will file a CR1 instead. We've gone over form I-130, and nowhere is IMBRA mentioned in it, so they shouldn't be able to deny an I-130 petition, not based on his convictions, at least.

To JanRo08, my advice, based on experience, is to send a waiver with your petition. Maybe it's not necessary in your case, but it wouldn't hurt.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This was also our understanding before, and why we didn't send a waiver with our petition. Our petition was denied. My fiancé has, in the past, been convicted of 4 DUI's and 1 drug possession, but since our K1 petition was his first, we believed we didn't need to submit a waiver. We were wrong, apparently. The denial letter stated that his multiple convictions have made him ineligible to petition for an I-129f for me, and we didn't give them any reason to waive ineligibility, so they couldn't approve the petition. We are still confused, to this day, but have decided to move on. We are getting married in my country and will file a CR1 instead. We've gone over form I-130, and nowhere is IMBRA mentioned in it, so they shouldn't be able to deny an I-130 petition, not based on his convictions, at least.

To JanRo08, my advice, based on experience, is to send a waiver with your petition. Maybe it's not necessary in your case, but it wouldn't hurt.

Having criminal convictions which are covered by the IMBRA does not make the petitioner ineligible to submit a petition. USCIS cannot use their discretion to deny a petition for this reason, so there would be no waiver you could have requested. I've read the IMBRA act more times than I'd like to admit, and I'm fairly certain about this.

The IMBRA imposes three requirements on the petitioner. First, if they've committed any crime that is covered by the act then they are required to provide all police and court records related to the crime. Second, if they met through an IMB then they are required to provide information about the IMB. Third, if they've had another I-129F approved within the past two years, or they've ever submitted two or more I-129F's, then they are not eligible to submit another I-129F without asking for a waiver of the multiple filing limits. In THAT event, USCIS can use their discretion to deny the waiver if the petitioner also has committed crimes which are covered by the act.

The disclosure requirement cannot be waived. The multiple filing limits can. Are you sure you weren't denied because you didn't provide all of the required court and police documents?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Zombie thread Closed

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.