Esperando enohio

Visitor Visa for Mexican in-laws (my husband is LPR)?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

OK so I have my husband here, finally (see my other posts for the details) and he has his Green Card, no conditions. At some point we will want to see about having his parents/siblings come to visit us. They have no interest in living here but they are understandably curious about my husband's new home.

When my husband applied for a tourist visa in Mexico City before we got married he was denied pretty much out-of-hand. He had no money or property so they considered him a risk for overstaying his visa. The Embassy there is notoriously stingy about issuing tourist visas, as I'm sure you all know.

Can I expect the same thing to happen to my in-laws if they apply for a tourist visa? I'd hate to make them take the 4-hour trip to the Embassy and go through all the expense and hassle if they will just be denied their visas. My in-laws own their house and would be considered middle class but they're not the Gotrocks. We'd have to pay their travel expenses. My mother-and-father-in-law are in their late fifties. My father-in-law works full-time, my mother-in-law doesn't work outside the home. One of my brothers-in-law has Downs Syndrome and lives with his parents, the other brother-in-law wouldn't want to come, and my sister-in-law is single and works as an engineer. She also lives with her parents.

I'm interested in hearing from people with spouses from Mexico who may have tried this already.

Any advice?

Thanks!

October 2002: Met my husband during year spent doing volunteer work in central Mexico.

August 2003: I returned to U.S., husband applied for tourist visa, visa denied.

January 26, 2004: Married in Queretaro, Mexico

February 8, 2004: 1st NOA for I-130

February 23, 2004: 1st NOA for I-129F

September 4, 2004: I-129F petition sent (supposedly, according to NVC) to Cd. Juarez

September 15, 2004: 2nd NOA for I-129F (better late than never)

October 9, 2004: received email from Cd. Juarez saying my husband's case had not been scheduled yet, and that it will take another 1.5-3 months to schedule!!

October 14, 2004: I-130 approval notice sent from CA service center

October 24, 2004: Received email with appointment date from Cd Juarez - December 6th at 7:30am!

December 3, 2004: Medical exam at Juarez

December 6, 2004: Interview at Consulate, 7 30am. K-3 Visa application declared INCOMPLETE due to admitting past drug use

March 31, 2005: Hiring a lawyer . . . sigh . . .

October 2007: Rec'd notice from Consulate that permanent residency appt. is scheduled for December in Juarez

December 14, 2007: Green card granted, border crossed, no longer esperando, finally!!

Total time from filing for K-3 and I-130 to visa in hand: about 46 months

I'm not a lawyer, unfortunately, so don't take what I post as professional advice . . .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

All applicants must overcome the presumption of "intention to immigrate". If they are unable then they will be refused..... You need to start thinking in this regard and provide evidence to overcome.

Is Mexico City the closest consulate to the in-laws?

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Can I expect the same thing to happen to my in-laws if they apply for a tourist visa?

Yes. No one is exempt from a denial.

But then again since getting a US torist visa in a Latinamerican country is such a gamble, they have a 50/50 chance of getting. And a 50/50 chance of not getting it. Just because your husband is now an LPR will not help them get a tourist visa.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Mexicans receive more visitors visa's than the next 2 countries combined.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It seems to be such a gamble, there's no way to be totally sure they'll get approved for visas. However, my husband has several family members who get approved all the time through the Monterrey consulate. One is a university student with basically no property, just school enrollment documents every term. I think your in-laws have a pretty good shot, just make sure they have documentation of all their assets and even some documents from your father-in-law's job.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice.

Fwaguy: Yes, Mexico City is the closest consulate, I think. That's where my husband had to go when he applied for a tourist visa. I'm not sure we could get "evidence" aside from a property deed. My in-laws certainly do not have bank accounts and the only real ties they have to Mexico besides the house are family members (lots of them).

Boiler: Which two countries?

Guatetaliana: I hope you and your husband will be eligible for the immediate waiver - I'm sure you've read about having the waiver prepared ahead of time and being pregnant/having a baby might help with your hardship case? I hope so. I wish you the best. I know how hard it is living here while your husband is in Mexico. PM me if you have any questions about going through Juarez.

I may just hold off on sending them to the Embassy until Adolfo gets naturalized. Which might take awhile the way things are going now but oh well. I would feel awful, and of course so would they, if their visas got denied. My husband described it is as the worst feeling of humiliation and rejection and I wouldn't want to put them through that. I'd be personally embarassed, too.

Thanks again all.

October 2002: Met my husband during year spent doing volunteer work in central Mexico.

August 2003: I returned to U.S., husband applied for tourist visa, visa denied.

January 26, 2004: Married in Queretaro, Mexico

February 8, 2004: 1st NOA for I-130

February 23, 2004: 1st NOA for I-129F

September 4, 2004: I-129F petition sent (supposedly, according to NVC) to Cd. Juarez

September 15, 2004: 2nd NOA for I-129F (better late than never)

October 9, 2004: received email from Cd. Juarez saying my husband's case had not been scheduled yet, and that it will take another 1.5-3 months to schedule!!

October 14, 2004: I-130 approval notice sent from CA service center

October 24, 2004: Received email with appointment date from Cd Juarez - December 6th at 7:30am!

December 3, 2004: Medical exam at Juarez

December 6, 2004: Interview at Consulate, 7 30am. K-3 Visa application declared INCOMPLETE due to admitting past drug use

March 31, 2005: Hiring a lawyer . . . sigh . . .

October 2007: Rec'd notice from Consulate that permanent residency appt. is scheduled for December in Juarez

December 14, 2007: Green card granted, border crossed, no longer esperando, finally!!

Total time from filing for K-3 and I-130 to visa in hand: about 46 months

I'm not a lawyer, unfortunately, so don't take what I post as professional advice . . .

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

I would have you and your husband write a letter directed to the consulate that you, the American Citizen, would like his family to come for a visit - define the timeframe of when you'd like them to come over and when you will have them return. Explain that you all are paying for the trip and that you would like them to see where you live, experience your area, and that you would love for them to meet your family and friends - like any couple would want. Also, explain that his parents have a life, home and employment in Mexico and no interest in staying in the US, they just want to visit.

Good luck - it can happen...also, see about writing an email to the consulate and explain the situation. Maybe they'll be able to give you some guidance about this.

Edited by Staashi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice.

Fwaguy: Yes, Mexico City is the closest consulate, I think. That's where my husband had to go when he applied for a tourist visa. I'm not sure we could get "evidence" aside from a property deed. My in-laws certainly do not have bank accounts and the only real ties they have to Mexico besides the house are family members (lots of them).

Boiler: Which two countries?

Guatetaliana: I hope you and your husband will be eligible for the immediate waiver - I'm sure you've read about having the waiver prepared ahead of time and being pregnant/having a baby might help with your hardship case? I hope so. I wish you the best. I know how hard it is living here while your husband is in Mexico. PM me if you have any questions about going through Juarez.

I may just hold off on sending them to the Embassy until Adolfo gets naturalized. Which might take awhile the way things are going now but oh well. I would feel awful, and of course so would they, if their visas got denied. My husband described it is as the worst feeling of humiliation and rejection and I wouldn't want to put them through that. I'd be personally embarassed, too.

Thanks again all.

My husband had been denied a visitor's visa in 2002 even though he was a full-time student and had a job. After he was here, we applied for a visa for my mother-in-law. I involved the local congressman's office. I wrote a letter and included a copy of the wedding invitation. I included what Staashi suggested. The congressman's rep faxed my letter and info from them to the Guadalajara Consulate. My mother-in-law brought proof of her property (1 bedrooom house and small piece of property) and a letter from a job stating that she was granted 2 week vacation. They took her into a separate room for the interview. (My husband was only interviewed at a window). She said they seemed skeptical, but they gave her a one entry visa. It's the same price as a multiple entry visa, but they didn't want to give her that.

My experience working with families at my job is that they're the toughest on young men and grandmothers. We had a couple of friends, men in the 20s, get visas while another friend was denied a visa and he had a good job with the local government. It's up in the air.

We're preparing for my mother-in-law to try again. I'm hoping that they'll consider past history.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Timeline

India and Chin are 2 and 3, I forget which way around, bothe have numbers on their side.

Trying to remember ow many were issued in Mexico, I think the last number I saw was about 1m a year.

From a personal experiance, everytime I have flown to Mexico, most of the passengers have been Mexican.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Letters from US Citzens or from your husband inviting his family to come to visit are ONLY good to prove the purpose of the trip and that you will cover the expenses. But it doesn't really matter how much you write about them having jobs, posessions and their intentions to go back to Mexico, they still need to prove this with the right documents during the interview.

The invitation letter alone wont make any difference, in MANY cases that the CO wont even look at it.

The visa applicant has the burden to prove that he/she has no intentions to stay and has good reasons to go back home, by submitting the proper documentation.

From the U.S. Embassy in Mexico Website:

If you intend to travel as a tourist, you should be able to explain and prove how and when you plan to travel, where you plan to stay, and how you will pay for the trip. United States law specifies that you should prove “that is it reasonable to suppose that you will return to your place of origin once you have completed your trip.” In order to comply with this requirement, it is suggested that you present original documents that support your claim of economic solvency. Depending on your particular situation, you may wish to present original, recent bank statements (letters from banks are not acceptable substitutes), receipts of payroll and the pink copy of the Social Security registration if you are employed, your stamped income tax return if you are a business owner, documentation regarding your business, your tax receipt if you own property, your professional I.D., etc. We reiterate: copies are neither acceptable nor necessary.

B1/B2 Visas

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
India and Chin are 2 and 3, I forget which way around, bothe have numbers on their side.

Trying to remember ow many were issued in Mexico, I think the last number I saw was about 1m a year.

From a personal experiance, everytime I have flown to Mexico, most of the passengers have been Mexican.

Mexicans get so many visas because it is next to us and the border towns make alot of money from mexicans shopping in the US. If Canadians were required to have a visa then they would have as many if not more. The real comparison for each country should be the I-94s issued because Mexicans cannot travel to the interior of the US without an I-94. We have checkpoints 50 miles into the US from the southern border so they aren't allowed to go any further.

I think consulates closer to the the US border are probably easier to get a visa because of commerce with the US.

Timeline

The numbers were for B visas, and I have never been within 50 miles of the Border so can not comment on that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.