katej0203

Dual British and American citizenship?

28 posts in this topic

[Also If Vito decided to go for UK citerzenship it is my understanding that the US would see that as renouncing his US citerzenship even though he is born and bread and not naturalised. therefore he can't do it. which is sad but hey thats life.

I am not too sure about that statement. I think the US now allows you to acquire other citizenships, as I think it is quite difficult to lose your US Citizenship.

after googling again three times, i'm now very confussed and on the fence about this too. but i have yet to find an official site stating facts just knowlege and opinions and I see both being put forward. some think its a yes for us to uk some think its a no. and one stated that you could but then if you volintarily applied for foreign citerzenship you loose your us citerzenship :wacko:

but then i did state it was my understanding from what i found on google. and i stand by that still. everything i have read is from the net, i haven't spoken to an attourney or what not to get the official answer.

The ways to lose US citizenship are all listed in INA 349 (8 USC 1481)

Sec. 349. [8 U.S.C. 1481]

(a) A person who is a national of the United States whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voluntarily performing any of the following acts with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality-

(1) obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon his own application or upon an application filed by a duly authorized agent, after having attained the age of eighteen years; or

(ways 2 through 5 of losing citizenship snipped -- go look up INA 349 on uscis.gov if you're interested)

Note that you only lose your US Citizenship if you do one of the listed things with the intent of relinquishing your US Citizenship. If you do it while intending to keep US Citizenship, then you've kept US Citizenship. Generally, they assume you intended to keep US Citizenship unless there's evidence otherwise.

That principle was upheld by the Supreme Court in Afroyim v Rusk.

A State Department memo containing a summary of their policy, and affirming that you only lose US citizenship if you intend to lose US Citizenship, is here: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

So if we go to Scotland, my husband thinks he can be very clever and enter in on his UK passport to avoid lines and then come back to the US with his US passport. But I can see now how that could not be a very good idea.

I don't know about UK law. But I am certain that US law requires that a US Citizen must present a US passport to US officials when crossing a US border. That's true regardless of whether the US Citizen also happens to hold other citizenship(s). I also know that US law doesn't address the question of what passport you should present to non-US officials. Because it's relevant to our family, I happen to know that Venezuelan law requires that Venezuelan citizens use their Venezuelan passport to cross Venezuelan borders, regardless of whether other citizenship(s) are held. So on Lucy's next trip to Venezuela, the law requires that she carry both passports, and show her US one to US officials, while showing her Venezuelan one to Venezuelan officials. The fact that it shortens the lines is irrelevant.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
So if we go to Scotland, my husband thinks he can be very clever and enter in on his UK passport to avoid lines and then come back to the US with his US passport. But I can see now how that could not be a very good idea.

I don't know about UK law. But I am certain that US law requires that a US Citizen must present a US passport to US officials when crossing a US border. That's true regardless of whether the US Citizen also happens to hold other citizenship(s). I also know that US law doesn't address the question of what passport you should present to non-US officials. Because it's relevant to our family, I happen to know that Venezuelan law requires that Venezuelan citizens use their Venezuelan passport to cross Venezuelan borders, regardless of whether other citizenship(s) are held. So on Lucy's next trip to Venezuela, the law requires that she carry both passports, and show her US one to US officials, while showing her Venezuelan one to Venezuelan officials. The fact that it shortens the lines is irrelevant.

That's kind of what we thought, but the more I think about it, if my husband enters Scotland on his UK passport, won't he be in the system then as never having left? If he were to use his US passport to re-enter the US? And then wouldn't the US wonder when he left the US in the first place? I know he would have to use his US one to re-enter here. I would love to hear from those that have actually done it. It makes sense to me to use the UK one to enter the UK and the US one to enter the US, but I don't know what they are tracking with the computers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I am still at the beginning of the process, but am wondering...

I am presently a British citizen, and will eventually reach the stage where I am to consider having an American citizenship. I dont have any family based reasons to apply for it, but it would save me having to renew a green card in the future.

Can I keep my British citizenship too? Does anyone have both? Any opinions?

O.k.....first of all....you have a LONG way to go before you even begin to *think* about that....one day at a time.

Second of all....will ALL Brits STOP ASKING ABOUT DUAL CITIZENSHIP....for crying out loud READ....it gets asked here every single forsaken day!!!! there must be 100+ topics on "dual british/u.s. citizenship"....READ!!!!!!!

sorry....but after so many years on this vj board i think i've finally xploded....anyone else feel the same?

No I don't feel the same, if it bothers you don't bloomin well read it. This is a forum for this specific topic and this helps 'All Brits' understand they can have dual citizenship, whether the poster decided to search for this subject beforehand or not. Unleash your idle mind in an off topic forum or start a thread regarding your explosion at the Brits asking 'every single forsaken day' the same question. Muppet.

well miss piggy, if you read, you'd know right?

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

That's kind of what we thought, but the more I think about it, if my husband enters Scotland on his UK passport, won't he be in the system then as never having left? If he were to use his US passport to re-enter the US? And then wouldn't the US wonder when he left the US in the first place? I know he would have to use his US one to re-enter here. I would love to hear from those that have actually done it. It makes sense to me to use the UK one to enter the UK and the US one to enter the US, but I don't know what they are tracking with the computers.
Tammi, this is a time-honoured technique used by dual nationals (with US or Canada) of many other countries--so it's really neither "clever", nor even an issue to US officials.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

I am a born USC and got my birth registered with Ireland to also be an Irish Citizen. Never had a bit of problem. Enter and leave the US on my US Passport and enter and leave the UK and Ireland (and the rest of the EU) on my Irish passport. Never was an issue. Even presented my Irish passport as proof of residency when applying for my wife's Green Card through DCF in London.

I do remeber reading somewhere that there has been several court cases (I think back in the 70's, and I think Supreme court) that overturned that law saying you will lose your citizenship if you become a national of another country. The site I found it on is http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#noway, It seemed fairly solid, but if worried you can read the cases it talkes about and research yourself. Here is an exert from it.:

But I thought US law didn't permit one to be a dual citizen -- that if you were (by birth or otherwise), you either had to give up the other citizenship when you came of age, or else you'd lose your US status. And that if you became a citizen of another country, you'd automatically lose your US citizenship. So what's all this talk about dual citizenship?

It indeed used to be the case in the US that you couldn't hold dual citizenship (except in certain cases if you had dual citizenship from birth or childhood, in which case some Supreme Court rulings -- Perkins v. Elg (1939), Mandoli v. Acheson (1952), and Kawakita v. U.S. (1952) -- permitted you to keep both). However, most of the laws forbidding dual citizenship were struck down by the US Supreme Court in two cases: a 1967 decision, Afroyim v. Rusk, as well as a second ruling in 1980, Vance v. Terrazas.

26/02/2005 Married in London to South African with UK Residency

28/02/2005 Sent off I-130 to London Consular

08/03/2005 Charge posted on Credit Card

14/03/2005 Sent off DS-230

15/03/2005 NOA of I-130

24/03/2005 Received Packet 3

18/04/2005 Sent in Form 169 (notice of readiness)

10/05/2005 Received Packet 4

06/06/2005 Medical at 10:00am in London

15/06/2005 Interview at 9:00 am (108 Days) -Approved

16/06/2005 Noon - Recieved Papers and Visa from Embassy

21/08/2005 Wife entered US on green Card

Conditions Removed +/- 1 year

??/06/2007 Submitted I-751

??/07/2007 Biometrics

02/04/2008 Application transferred from TSC to VSC

01/July/2008 Card Production ordered

N-400 process-3 months & 8 days

16/June/2008 Sent in packet of N-400

18/June/2008 NOA Priority date

20/June/2008 Check cashed

26/June/2008 NOA recieved

12/July/2008 Biometrics

08/Sept/2008 Interview- passed

24/Sept/2008 Oath (Cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

29/Oct/2008 Oath & Passport Application (not expedited)

07/Nov/2008 Passport Received - Done with the Process

• 1 month later...

I am presently a British citizen, and will eventually reach the stage where I am to consider having an American citizenship. I dont have any family based reasons to apply for it, but it would save me having to renew a green card in the future.

As previously advised, as a British citizen, you can hold dual citizenship with the US. However remember that as a US Citizen you will be responsible for filing a tax return each year with the IRS, WHEREVER you live and this tax return requires you to report GLOBAL income i.e. all income received from anywhere. The good news is that if your income does not exceed $82,000 pa (indexed each year) then you don't pay tax, BUT you still must complete a tax return.

Hi Bryand1,

I am considering going through the process of becoming a US citizen and had come across your info on taxes. Is the $82,000 combined or per person? Do you know if this is gross income? Do you know of a website I could find more information on?

Thanks

O.k.....first of all....you have a LONG way to go before you even begin to *think* about that....one day at a time.

Second of all....will ALL Brits STOP ASKING ABOUT DUAL CITIZENSHIP....for crying out loud READ....it gets asked here every single forsaken day!!!! there must be 100+ topics on "dual british/u.s. citizenship"....READ!!!!!!!

sorry....but after so many years on this vj board i think i've finally xploded....anyone else feel the same?

What can I say, we're all proud of being British. :D

Tammi, this is a time-honoured technique used by dual nationals (with US or Canada) of many other countries--so it's really neither "clever", nor even an issue to US officials.

But what about leaving through airports, Don't you have to use the same Passport for the whole journey (one way)? I can see why you could use one for each way ( round trip/return) but could you exit the usa with your us passport jump on plane and then jump off plane and use your uk passport? surly that would be a no due to the fact they scan you passports serial number when they book you for your flight and both passports would have diff numbers no? :unsure: and could you not get in trouble for exiting the usa on your UK passport? if you could for entering on one? :unsure: perhaps I'm getting confussed maybe immigration does not look at them on your way out? :wacko::unsure: :unsure: oh my brain is frazzled

I am a born USC and got my birth registered with Ireland to also be an Irish Citizen. Never had a bit of problem. Enter and leave the US on my US Passport and enter and leave the UK and Ireland (and the rest of the EU) on my Irish passport. Never was an issue. Even presented my Irish passport as proof of residency when applying for my wife's Green Card through DCF in London.

I do remeber reading somewhere that there has been several court cases (I think back in the 70's, and I think Supreme court) that overturned that law saying you will lose your citizenship if you become a national of another country. The site I found it on is http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#noway, It seemed fairly solid, but if worried you can read the cases it talkes about and research yourself. Here is an exert from it.:

But I thought US law didn't permit one to be a dual citizen -- that if you were (by birth or otherwise), you either had to give up the other citizenship when you came of age, or else you'd lose your US status. And that if you became a citizen of another country, you'd automatically lose your US citizenship. So what's all this talk about dual citizenship?

It indeed used to be the case in the US that you couldn't hold dual citizenship (except in certain cases if you had dual citizenship from birth or childhood, in which case some Supreme Court rulings -- Perkins v. Elg (1939), Mandoli v. Acheson (1952), and Kawakita v. U.S. (1952) -- permitted you to keep both). However, most of the laws forbidding dual citizenship were struck down by the US Supreme Court in two cases: a 1967 decision, Afroyim v. Rusk, as well as a second ruling in 1980, Vance v. Terrazas.

This makes since but as Vito has not ANY right to a Brittish Citizenship except for when he is married to me, I'm am interpreting the information I have read so far as he would be asumed relinqueshing his US citizenship. :unsure: perhaps I have got this wrong as well? I get that if you are entitled through birth the USA lets you have duel, but am i miss understanding the rules if one does not have rights through birth and only marriage?

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

No, you enter and leave each country on that country's passport. That's standard practice everywhere that allows dual citizenship. You don't need to use the same passport for the whole trip.

The US changed the law about requiring you to give up your other country's citizenship awhile back ... maybe 10-20 years ago? You still have to say it during the oath, and I think they still send your home country a letter saying "This person swore the oath of US citizenship," but many other countries (including of course the UK) don't really care, and the US doesn't require you to actually go and renounce your foreign citizenship.

For those who acquire the US citizenship first and another country's afterwards, the US Dept. of State do have the *right* to refuse to renew your US passport if you've done anything to jeopardize your US citizenship (including getting citizenship elsewhere), but I believe they only do so if you take a high government job/serve in the military of another country.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

• 11 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
No, you enter and leave each country on that country's passport. That's standard practice everywhere that allows dual citizenship. You don't need to use the same passport for the whole trip.

I'm sorry, but this advice gives the wrong impression and in some cases, is WRONG. If i'm travelling to the UK from Australia, i leave Australia on my UK passport, and I arrive in the UK on my UK, then I LEAVE the UK on my Australian if heading to Australia. Also, what if i transit through another country? Using difft passports can get confusing... For the simple reason of visas... and this is from personal experience. I'll explain...

I have both UK AND Australian passports. I travelled from Australia, to London, to America and then back to Australia

I left Australia on my Australian passport so they registered me leaving (this was WRONG, I should have left on my UK... but because of the VWP i didn't realise)

I arrived in the UK on my UK passport (I also then traveled Europe on my UK passport and back to London again)

I entered the US on my UK passport

I TRIED to leave on my UK passport because it had my I-94 in it (I planned to enter Australia with my Australian)

-- While I was in the US, the VWP conditions changed and you had to have registered online, SO when I attempted to leave the US on my UK passport I was asked if I had a visa for Australia... I was like... umm I'm Australian, I have an Aussie passport, and she said, well you need to leave on that because otherwise we wouldn't let you get on the plane.

The ONLY reason I made my flight is because, while sitting at LAX I heard my name over the loud-speaker... had they not double-checked I'd've missed my flight!!

I arrived in Australia on my Australian passport

Moral of the story, LEAVE whatever country you're in, on the passport that you need for the country you're entering... so, if I went to Europe from Australia I would leave Australia on my UK passport (as well as arrive on my UK), and leave Europe on my Australian (and arrive in Australia on my Australian).

However, like with America, I had to show BOTH passports because I entered on the UK and not the Aussie and my I-94 was in the UK but I needed to leave on Aussie. Moral of THAT story, if it's a transit country, arrive (where possible) on the passport you intend to leave with so the visa info is in the right one :P. It requires a bit of forward thinking but by taking all passports anyway you've always got the other one just in case :)

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here is what I was told by CBP at Logan International Airport about what passport to use.

When you check-in for a flight from USA to UK, you use your US Passport. (do not try using your UK passport as you will not have a I-94 or a preclearance certificate, and will not be allowed to board).

When you arrive in the UK and are going through Passport Control, you use your UK Passport (you are entering your own country as a citizen and entery restrictions do not apply)..

When you check-in for your return flight to the USA, you use your US passport (that way you do not require preclearance).

When you go through CBP in the USA you use your US passport. (do not use your UK passport as you will not have a entry visa to the USA).

That is what I have done and I have never had any issues.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.