VFittipaldi

Permanent stay while on Tourist Visa

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, is there a legal way for a parent of a US Citizen to apply for a permanent stay in the US while she is here on a tourist visa?

Thank you!

Edited by VFittipaldi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

File to Adjust Status?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, is there a legal way for a parent of a US Citizen to apply for a permanent stay in the US while she is here on a tourist visa?

Thank you!

If you are citizen you file for adjustment of status (I-485 and I-130.) They will mostly need to remain in the US while the application is being processed (~1 year) so make sure all supporting documents are available before you start.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

File Form I-485, Adjustment of Status (AOS), Fee is USD 1,070, Biometrics fee already included.

If you have not file the Form I-130 yet for your parent, then include this in your application package, fee is USD 420.

You may also file the forms I-131 (Travel Document/Advance Parole) and I-765 (Employment Authorization), no fees are needed when filing for these applications together with AOS.

As PK and PK posted, your parent can not visit his or her home country unless Travel Document or the Greencard is already issued to him/her.

AOS Timeline / Family-based

Feb 24, 2015 (day 0) - Sent Forms I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS to Chicago Lockbox
Feb 26, 2015 (day 2) - Package delivered and received.
Mar 03, 2015 (day 7) - Text / email messages from USCIS, receiving Forms I-130, I-485,
I-131 and I-765.
USD 420 and 1,070 Checks were cashed.
Mar 08, 2015 (day 12) - Paper receipts of I-797C for I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 from mail.

Mar 13, 2015 (day 17) - Mail notice received for Biometrics appointment on March 25, 2015.

Mar 25, 2015 (day 29) - Completed Biometrics, as scheduled.

May 12, 2015 (day 75) - AP/EAD approved and Card has been ordered.

May 27, 2015 (day 90) - AP/EAD Card received in the mailbox.

June 3, 2015 (day 97) - Received NPIW letter in the mailbox.

Sept 24, 2015 (day 212) - I-130/I-485 approved. No Interview.

Sept 28, 2015 (day 216) - GC mailed.

Sept 30, 2015 (day 218) - GC received.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Is the parent in the US already?

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Is the parent in the US already?

She is coming here next month. She just received her tourist visa which is good for one year.

So i was wondering while she is here could she legally apply for permanent stay(green card)?

Or since she is here on a tourist visa she can't do that?

Thank you!

Timeline

If you are citizen you file for adjustment of status (I-485 and I-130.) They will mostly need to remain in the US while the application is being processed (~1 year) so make sure all supporting documents are available before you start.

Thank you!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

She is coming here next month. She just received her tourist visa which is good for one year.

So i was wondering while she is here could she legally apply for permanent stay(green card)?

Or since she is here on a tourist visa she can't do that?

Thank you!

If she's not here already no you cannot

Timeline

File Form I-485, Adjustment of Status (AOS), Fee is USD 1,070, Biometrics fee already included.

If you have not file the Form I-130 yet for your parent, then include this in your application package, fee is USD 420.

You may also file the forms I-131 (Travel Document/Advance Parole) and I-765 (Employment Authorization), no fees are needed when filing for these applications together with AOS.

As PK and PK posted, your parent can not visit his or her home country unless Travel Document or the Greencard is already issued to him/her.

Thank you! I am familiar with the AOS process. But my wife was in her country at the time, in this case the person would be here on a tourist visa so that is why i am confused because im not sure if that is possible to do.

Timeline

If she's not here already no you cannot

What do you mean?

Can i start the process when she gets here or it has to be started while she is in her country?

Timeline

What do you mean?

Can i start the process when she gets here or it has to be started while she is in her country?

She cannot come and stay. You can start the process but she will have to return home for visa interview and medical.

Filed: Timeline

what will she be telling the border folks upon arrival? (a) "I'm here to visit' (but then proceed with the AOS request), having now misrepresented her intentions or (b) 'I'm here to camp out while waiting for the AOS process and don't plan to go back..'....which statement is true? That's the question.

One is possible misrep; the other will have her on a plane headed home shortly after arrival.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If she wants to enter the US under a tourist visa with the intention of adjusting status and immigrating then that is visa fraud.

She can be deported and given a lifetime ban from the US for misrepresentation, oh and she can be deported even after she gets her green card if they found out she lied. If she wants to visit on a tourist visa, for which it is intended, then return home while her AOS is processed then that is a different story.

Edited by TheCaptain

My AOS Journey

11/11/14 - POE

12/12/14 - Married

12/15/14 - AOS/EAD Submitted

12/22/14 - NOA 1

01/13/15 - Biometrics

03/20/15 - Notice Of Potential Interview Waiver Received - 6 Month Delay

09/21/15 - NPIW Expired

10/16/15 - Service Request 1 submitted - Local office past my case

10/17/15 - Service Request Response - Currently being adjudicated, No timeline. Please wait

10/19/15 - Contacted Local Congressman. Request Submitted

11/19/15 - Response from congressman. Currently being adjudicated. Please wait. No Timeline

11/27/15 - Letter from Local Field office requesting missing I-693.

12/21/15 - Infopass Appointment regarding notice - I-693 not required for K1 Visa. Officer stated he would request local officer to contact me

12/22/15 - 1 Year since NOA 1

12/29/15 - Had original K1 I-693 medical form transcribed by US panel doctor and submitted to USCIS.

01/06/16 - Service request 2 submitted

01/19/16 - Interview Appointment Received

02/09/16 - Interview - APPROVED

02/12/16 - 2 Year Green Card In Hand

12/26/17 - ROC Submitted

01/08/18 - ROC NOA1 Recieved

10/06/18 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

01/17/19 - Removal of Conditions - Approved

01/23/19 - Received 10 year Green Card.

My Citizenship Journey

12/06/18 - N400 Submitted

12/18/18 - N400 Biometrics Appointment Received

12/26/18 - Biometrics Complete - Expected completion Feb 2020 (13 Months)

04/28/19 - So far lots of USCIS "nothing has changed" bi weekly status update e-mails.

05/07/19 - Received notification that my N400 interview had been scheduled.

05/08/19 - N400 Interview letter was available to view online.

05/13/19 - Received physical copy of N400 interview letter in mail.

06/14/19 - N400 Interview Passed. Recommended for citizenship.

06/22/19 - N400 Approved

07/24/19 - Oath ceremony scheduled

what will she be telling the border folks upon arrival? (a) "I'm here to visit' (but then proceed with the AOS request), having now misrepresented her intentions or (b) 'I'm here to camp out while waiting for the AOS process and don't plan to go back..'....which statement is true? That's the question.

One is possible misrep; the other will have her on a plane headed home shortly after arrival.

They rarely ask about the purpose of visit. She doesn't need to say anything to them. When my mom visited US, she was not asked any question. They just let her through.

Timeline

They rarely ask about the purpose of visit. She doesn't need to say anything to them. When my mom visited US, she was not asked any question. They just let her through.

Really? I'm asked every time

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.