TaniaG

Question re: vaccinations

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello all -

My husband does not have a record of his vaccinations. We are months away from his interview but trying to plan ahead. Should he try to get all the vaccinations now or wait until the medical exam right before the interview?

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially if you have gone through the process in Colombia.

Thank you!

He can find out what vaccinations he had by doing a blood test.

Started dating: August 24, 2007 heart.gif

Married: June 5, 2010

Baby: May 5, 2013 goofy.gif

Filed I 130: November 15, 2013

USCIS

NOA 1: November 21, 2013 (hard copy December 4, 2013)

NOA 2: July 8, 2014

NVC

Case Number assigned: July 8, 2014

AOS Fee Paid: July 9, 2014

IV Cover page received: September 16, 2014

IV Fee Paid: September 16, 2014

DS 260 filled out online and confirmation received: October 13, 2014

Checklist cover letter received: November 4, 2014

Documents sent: November 11, 2013

Documents received at NH: November 13, 2014 (Sent with attn. to DR not CMR)

Note: We filed with the Chicago Lockbox as we cannot do a DCF here in Argentina. dry.png

Timeline

Great, thank you. And if the blood test determines he has not had all of the required vaccines, is it better to get them now or wait for the official medical exam?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have made sure that all of mine are up to date, saves you time for later. If he waits to get all necessary vaccinations until the medical exam, that can add weeks to the process. Might as well do it now during the NVC wait. :) Just remember that he doesn't need to get all the vaccination on the list, some are very age specific.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

I read somewhere that one should not try and complete the vaccination list before the Medical appointment. It will be decided there which ones you will need, and if there's enough time left to take them all (that you haven't already gotten)..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I had my medical yesterday and I got my transcrpits before, but I didnt have tetnis so got it then and there, he said I would have gotten everything I needed then and there - I'd phone up and check!

Timeline

I read somewhere that one should not try and complete the vaccination list before the Medical appointment. It will be decided there which ones you will need, and if there's enough time left to take them all (that you haven't already gotten)..

Don't believe whoever told you that. The American Embassy in Stockholm recommend that everyone "have all vaccinations up-to-date before you see the panel physician". There are certain vaccines that cannot be given by the panel physician depending on rules and regulations of the country you live in. E.g. MMR is a live vaccine and in Sweden, by law, these vaccines can only be given at specific vaccination centrals, it's not something that just any nurse or doctor can give.

NVC and CDC also state that "all immigrant visa applicants are required to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of the immigrant visa", which means if you don't have a certain required vaccine, you will not be given your visa until you have taken it/them, which can cause a delay in your visa process. You will not be allowed to move to the US until you have all necessary vaccinations.

Below is a link to NVC's medical examination information page. You can search for the medical document for the embassy you will attend for the interview, which will give specifics for that particular embassy.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/medical-examination.html

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Embassy Stage

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

I would assume as a panel physician they should be able to administer any and all necessary vaccinations. Many many many people wait until the medical to get the vaccinations as many of them are not age appropriate or necessary depending on location. In Canada you only need 3 or 4 (depending on the time of year.) MMR, Tdap, Varicella, and influenza (seasonal). Even varicella is waived with a verbal declaration of chicken pox. However this may vary in other countries.

But I agree what you should look up the medical requirements for your place of interview to find out what is needed for the medical and also where to get it! :) Best of luck!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Hi,

I would get in touch with the acceptable Dr on the NVC's list for your area and tell him/her that you will need the medical exam AND immunization shots. my husband was able to do everything in one day. and get his results the next week. the results are good for up to a year. (but that may differ depending on the country)

best of luck!

July 18, 2014 - Married in Fiji
Aug 21, 2014 - Sent I-130
Aug 26, 2014 - I-130 recieved
Feb 12, 2015 - I-130 Approved!
Mar 6, 2015 - NVC receieved our case (found this out on Mar 11th phone call with NVC rep)
Mar 11, 2015 - Called NVC, was given case # & invoice #
Mar 11, 2015 - Paid AOS Bill
Mar 13, 2015 - AOS Fee deducted from bank account
Mar 14, 2015 - Received DS-261/AOS Bill (in mail)
Mar 16, 2015 - Called NVC, was instructed to mail out AOS/I-864, mailed I-864EZ/AOS/Documents (2 day shipping)
Mar 18, 2015 - Packet received by NVC, AOS Fee marked as PAID on ceac.state.gov website

Mar 23, 2015 - Called NVC: 1.to verify packet received(was told to allow 60 days for review) 2. to ask if DS-261 was entered in the system (was told case is too new to revivew over the phone, but I could call back in a few days if I wish to see if we could review it over the phone)
Mar 24, 2015 - Called NVC and was able to review DS-261 over the phone; added emails, designated self as agent of choice. Should be able to pay IV Fee & fill out DS-260 in one week (31/03/15)
Mar 25, 2015 - Paid IV Fee
Mar 26, 2015 - IV Fee shown as 'Paid'
Mar 28, 2015 - Submit DS-260

April 1, 2015 - Medical Exam in Suva, called NVC for update on case: said it wasnt in the system yet, still in review. allow 45 days for case complete (hey, thats better than the 60 they said earlier!) They will only email us if they need further information, otherwise expect interview letter in the mail.

April 7, 2015 - Called NVC to follow up, no update given

April 14, 2015 - Checked ceac.state.gov website, saw that there were 3 N/A's, called NVC to verify that case was complete

April 15, 2015 - Received false checklist, called NVC to verify that was actually false checklist (re: police certificate would be sent directly to embassy and therefore was not included with support documents submitted in IV Packet)

April 16, 2015 - Called NVC to re-verify that received false checklist. Confirmed AND was told that interview date was scheduled

May 28, 2015 - Interview Scheduled at 8am, Suva Embassy (need to reschedule due to conflicting obligations)

Timeline

Mallafri76, do you know what vaccines they require for Swedes? There are a lot on the list from the embassy!

Found below link when previously looking around for the medical examination and vaccines for the visa:

http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html#prevention

According to the CDC, who decides what vaccinations are required, people between 18 to 64 need the below:

Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis all in one shot. Booster within the last 10 years if you got it as a kid.

MMR

Varicella

Influenza (if flu season)

If you've had any of the diseases previously, a simple blood test will show that you have immunity and then you don't need that particular vaccination. Half my family work within health care so they've helped me out a lot with this. :)

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Timeline

Mallafri76, do you know what vaccines they require for Swedes? There are a lot on the list from the embassy!

By the way, if you're born in Sweden between 1979 and 1996, you most likely don't have a vaccination against pertussis (kikhosta) as it was considered eradicated from Scandinavia in 1979 and for many many years.

Met online October 2010

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy Stage

In the US

Timeline

Thanks all! I think I'll have my husband get a blood test to see what he has/doesn't have and then call one of the panel physicians to ask what he should do.

If anyone has gone through this in Colombia I would be very interested to hear your experience!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello all -

My husband does not have a record of his vaccinations. We are months away from his interview but trying to plan ahead. Should he try to get all the vaccinations now or wait until the medical exam right before the interview?

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially if you have gone through the process in Colombia.

Thank you!

My mom had her medical done in Bogota by doctor Roa on March 2nd. She did not have any record of vaccinations either. The DR told her what to get for vaccinations based on her age. The vaccinations are done in his office. So it was easy and she did not have to go get a bunch of vaccination that were not necessary for her age. We paid over $200 pesos extra from medical exam ane lab test.

No need to worry about this part. Do worrh about making your appt at least 3 daya before interview because the results package its not available the same day of the exam, they only give it to you the following day

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks all! I think I'll have my husband get a blood test to see what he has/doesn't have and then call one of the panel physicians to ask what he should do.

If anyone has gone through this in Colombia I would be very interested to hear your experience!

Please read mu post. In colombia is different. Recently went through this with my mom. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.